Author Topic: Stranded In The Country. Again.  (Read 2230 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 15, 2014, 10:26:36 pm
Well this mother fucker did it again.  The electrical has failed again and here I am stuck out in the middle of the country.  This bike can kiss my ass.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 10:29:29 pm
Hot wire it and get it home.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:44:04 pm
Nothing to hot wire, the alternator took a crap again and my battery is drained so the EI stopped firing.  Luckily i was only a half mile or so away from my step-son's friends house but they are on vacation in Germany right now.  My etude us bringing tools and my volt meter right now.  I'll make sure it is the electrical and take the battery home to charge it and come back to get the bike and ride it home.  I thought I had heard the motor detonating and had a loss of power about five minutes before it started to sputter and backfire.

I have a feeling my rotor isn't the correct size and THAT is causing all the trouble I've been having.  Is it possible to have it machined to a smaller diameter?

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:47:18 pm
You should check the crank runout on the drive side. You might have a bad bearing causing the rotor to wobble around, causing these problems.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 10:51:17 pm
I've inspected that thoroughly before and it doesn't wobble.  But I've always had a problem getting .007 feeler all the way around the rotor.  How big of a gap can I have between the alternator and rotor before it stops charging?

Damn it am I irritated.   >:(

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:56:44 pm
I've inspected that thoroughly before and it doesn't wobble.  But I've always had a problem getting .007 feeler all the way around the rotor.  How big of a gap can I have between the alternator and rotor before it stops charging?

Damn it am I irritated.   >:(
On the Bullets it can be .010"-.012" all the way around. 
I don't know why yours is so tight?

I have never heard of machining down a rotor. I have some doubts about it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:59:49 pm by ace.cafe »

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 11:03:59 pm
I haven't even tried a feeler gauge on mine, when I install the stator over the rotor I just cut a piece of thick manilla folder, about the same thickness as a plastic milk jug, which is what some people use, and wrap it around the rotor until the three bolts holding the stator in place are tight. Then pull it out and have an even gap all the way around...

You may still be able to hot wire it, if it's just the charging side of the alternator that's shot, you could take the side that runs the headlight and use it to power your ignition, ride home without a headlight...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 11:42:09 pm
I'm back home and the battery is on the charger.  I'm skeptical tho.  Before I left I hooked up the voltmeter and the battery read 12.6ish started started but was running like ass and once it was running voltage was ALLLLLL over the place.  Bouncing everywhere from 7-13 volts and slowly just died and wouldn't start again.  I'm almost wondering if it was the battery that took a shit.  ???   My electrical is a 2 wire Wassel 47205 alternator and a Tympanium rectifier/regulator.  I don't know the Tympanium too well as I'm new to it.  Will it stop running if the battery is junk with the Tympanium?   ???

Also when I got home put the voltmeter on the battery again, 12.4ish.  Just for fun I hooked up an 1157 bulb and the voltage dropped to 7 volts.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 11:47:16 pm by High On Octane »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 11:48:32 pm
I don't know the details about those parts.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 12:57:00 am
That's why I always run a good mag on those old turds.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 01:31:16 am
Pretty sure the battery is junk.  Said it was charged after only 2 hours.  Read 13.7 volts and dropped to 8.3 as soon as I hooked up a light bulb to it.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 02:12:45 am
Pretty sure the battery is junk.  Said it was charged after only 2 hours.  Read 13.7 volts and dropped to 8.3 as soon as I hooked up a light bulb to it.
Yep. Dead.
An AGM or lightweight lithium would be good.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 04:24:28 pm
Just got back from Batteries Plus and picked up a 5LBS AGM.  Also had a 10% off coupon so out the door was only like $48.  I'm not going to get my hopes too high but maybe my problems were just a bad battery.  I didn't smell or see the usually stinky smoke coming from the primary that has been associated with the last couple of times the electrical failed so with any luck.......

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 07:06:23 pm
I'm back in business.  Installed the new battery and it fired right up, no backfires or stumbling.  Even better, it looks like my charging system is working just fine too.  I converted the leads on my voltmeter to alligator clips a while back, so hooked it up to the battery and taped it to my gas tank on the ride home.  It was holding right at 13.8 for the most part the whole time and around 13 at idle at stop lights.  There was a bit of fluctuation but I think it was just the leads wiggling with the bumps in the road.  When the surface was smooth it didn't seem like it was fluctuating at all and stayed right at 13.8.  So I guess I can chalk this one off as a battery with a dead cell.  Moral of this story is Autocraft  motorcycle batteries are junk.  This is the third I've killed since I've had the bike on the road.

Scottie J