Author Topic: Very first ride  (Read 3328 times)

Philatawgrapher

• Scooter
on: July 01, 2014, 04:47:39 am
Today was my daughter's first motorcycle ride. She's 9, and although I had the duty of the first spin around the block to make sure she wouldn't fall off, her mom got the honors of the first real ride—more than 40 miles. She's hooked!

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 06:05:08 pm
Congrats on her first ride.  I remember mine - probably around the same age.

Bike looks great - Your helmet looks awesome.  What is it?
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Philatawgrapher

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 06:16:05 pm
That's the missus in a Biltwell Gringo. I was on the B5. And it's damned hard to take pictures from the bike at stoplights!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:08:07 pm
That pic is fantastic!  When I click on it and it enlarges to full size, I can see that your daughter isn't looking at you taking the pic.  She's got other things on her mind - probably, "just a few more years and I'll be riding this thing on my own..."

Actually, it kind of looks like shes doing a proper over-the-shoulder check for traffic, and signaling a right-hand-turn...  ;D  Priceless!

I gave my Mom a ride the other day - just around her cul-de-sac neighborhood, and we barely made second gear, but she enjoyed it despite her fear of falling.  She's 76, by the way.  Driving with a passenger who knows nothing about riding a motorcycle is a bit nerve-wracking...

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:18:41 pm
That's the missus in a Biltwell Gringo.

Makes sense. I was gonna ask you how you kept your legs in such great shape  ;D ;)  Mom and daughter on a Bullet?... That's just too cool.  Now take those ladies glove shopping!

Agreed, fantastic photo.  First time I've seen that color scheme on the Bullet - Looks really good.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Philatawgrapher

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 10:00:13 pm
. . . I can see that your daughter isn't looking at you taking the pic.

Yeah, my kids have been well trained from birth never to pose! (I have strong opinions on the topic: http://bit.ly/1gfvvwV)

She was super relaxed about the whole thing. She waved at about 100 people, and spent some time flying with both arms extended. Luckily, she's about the weight of a dry leaf, so she didn't rock the bike too much. She'll be a pro passenger in a few weeks, and then it's just a matter of waiting until she can get at least one foot firmly planted.

I've tried to get my folks on a bike, but so far it hasn't happened. Maybe they'll feel differently with the grandkids showing them the way.

. . . I was gonna ask you how you kept your legs in such great shape  ;D ;)  Mom and daughter on a Bullet?... That's just too cool.  Now take those ladies glove shopping!

The legs are all about my pilates routine, Boggy . . . . Wait. I mean yard work! Yeah, yard work!

It took my wife about 20 minutes into the ride to realize she'd forgotten her gloves. Apparently the stock grips don't feel half bad on bare hands.

Arctictanker

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 03:58:05 am
Make sure her first bike is an RE...lol
Northern Virginia
2014 C5 Military

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 05:58:07 am
That is great!  I still remember my first ride, and several others after that.  As far as getting that girl started, looks to me she's ready for AT LEAST an 80, maybe even a 125.    :)  I got my first bike and started riding when I was 13.  Worked my but off all winter and come spring time dad found me a 1978 Kawasaki KE125.  And about 2 weeks later is when I first started wrenching on my own bike.  Start them young.    :)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 09:52:27 am
My first was my uncle taking me for a spin on his Suzyam something 1000 inline four.
Got me hooked
6 years later my next ride was for my license!
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.