Author Topic: helmet safety  (Read 21686 times)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 03:04:47 am
I was at a party once where this guy was going dow the road on his HD baGGer,,  standing on the seat with arms outstretched and no helmet...  that was so long ago... 

when I was cross country ing the Slab cIRcUiT,, occasional back roads when I got to the Southwest.. it was a bacic white , Shoei  usually around $390..  I wore them till they smelled worse than even I could stand..always full face because the speed I was going needed all the aerodynamics I could get..  I do have a constant ears ring thing..  but other factors enter in..

Before I sold my last BiG BiKe,, i bought another full face..  suppose to be the quietest lighest one out there..  this one was only alittle over $300..  by the time I got back from the shop a couple of hrs later..  this helmet felt like a viSe on my ears :-\

It did have removable washable headliner...  so I took a sander to the foam for my ears.

then gave it to a relative .. fits him

watch out for wet railroad tracks at an angle other than 90 degrees, otherwise ,, it's slot car time :o

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 05:17:28 am
I occasionally ride without a helmet which is my book is also really stupid. I just got a Nolan full faced helmet which has the deal where the front of the helmet hinges upward. ( I can't think of the name of this type of helmet). It is by far the quietest most comfortable helmet I have ever had.

One of my sisters is the person that tries to talk your family into donating your organs when you are brain dead. She says that they are doing a lot more "harvesting" from ATV accidents than motorcycle accidents these days. She also tells me that her agency puts several full-time teams at the hospital near Sturgis during the rally. As you know legal helmets are pretty rare out there. As she says, "you go where the business is".
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 05:31:29 am
have two helmets. One 3/4 Nolan, and a Gmax 68S. I like the Gmax for coverage. fits well on my head but am waiting for the smaller cheek pads to come in. The ones with the small sqeeze the face a bit much. Don't have any problem with sight.

Gromit and top dawg
Come to the Dark Side....We have cookies!

2006 RE Electra-sold
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100-Faster
1 cozy sidecar to match both-Priceless!

LJRead

Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 08:57:14 am

As she says, "you go where the business is".

Well there are the funeral parlors unctuously waiting for corpses, and there are ambulance chasing lawyers, hoping to sign up the near dead, I guess your sister falls somewhere in between.  At least she is in the recycling business, a good thing to be in these days.

Is this what is called a maudlin sense of humor?

geoffbaker

Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 03:21:38 pm

One of my sisters is the person that tries to talk your family into donating your organs when you are brain dead. She says that they are doing a lot more "harvesting" from ATV accidents than motorcycle accidents these days.

I guess that says that motorcyclists are riding safer these days. ATV'ers are like boaters... I've met plenty who think ATVs (and snowmobiles, too) are the perfect thing to race around the country AFTER you've been drinking all day... and I'm sure even a higher percentage don't wear helmets.

My license says DONOR on it. Hey, if I end up doing something really stupid - especially after all this selfrighteous talk on the forum - I guess the least I can do is let them have my organs.

On the other hand, my eyes are going, my ears are gone, my brain is shrinking, my liver is three times larger than it should be, my kidneys about ready to give in and call it quits. The only thing I've got in primo shape is my beer gut, which is a particularly fine specimen. So it's hard to say what they'd take... unless they've got a really good use for toenails...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 03:27:14 pm by geoffbaker »

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 07:24:32 pm
Modular or flip up are the terms I've seen.

I just got a Nolan full faced helmet which has the deal where the front of the helmet hinges upward. ( I can't think of the name of this type of helmet). It is by far the quietest most comfortable helmet I have ever had.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

hobocos

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 08:43:18 pm
full face dirtbike style.  its light and comfy

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 10:28:26 pm

I just got a Nolan full faced helmet which has the deal where the front of the helmet hinges upward. ( I can't think of the name of this type of helmet). It is by far the quietest most comfortable helmet I have ever had.
That's what I've got too. I thought they were noisier that a full face with only flip up shield. But wearing glasses precludes the use of full because with glasses you can't get the hat on, once on you can't get the glasses on, which just shows to go ya their made for the youguns. :o

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 02:47:12 am
I slide my glasses on and off just by flipping up my full face visor.   :)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 12:43:33 pm
My former full face fit snugly and thin wire rim glasses just wouldn't cut the mustard. So the Nolan flip up full face works great, except it's noisier.

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: July 30, 2008, 06:43:24 pm
This is a great thread.  After reading it I thought about how much I do indeed value my face, as well as how annoying the wind noise is to me.  I just went out and bought a AFX model FX-97 full face helmet to replace my half helmet.  On the ride home the wind noise was cut by at least 80% and I could still wear my Oakley sunglasses with it.  I'll still use my half helmet at times for short trips but this will make my highway experience much more enjoyable and safe.  Thanks for all the opinions. 
The Family Fleet:
2008 Royal Enfield Electra
2002 Buell Blast
1973 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.

Sag Harbor~Bullet

• Scooter
Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 08:13:56 pm
This is a great thread.  After reading it I thought about how much I do indeed value my face, as well as how annoying the wind noise is to me.  I just went out and bought a AFX model FX-97 full face helmet to replace my half helmet.  On the ride home the wind noise was cut by at least 80% and I could still wear my Oakley sunglasses with it.  I'll still use my half helmet at times for short trips but this will make my highway experience much more enjoyable and safe.  Thanks for all the opinions. 

Agreed. I have really appreciated all of the comments and feedback as well.

I bought one of the recommended full faces for longer rides on the main roads. But still use the shorty helmet for short trips into the village (which has a 25mph speed limit).

At the end of the day, defensive and conservative riding is the best safety measure of them all.
2007 Bullet Deluxe

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: July 31, 2008, 05:10:39 am
donating your organs when you are brain dead

now hOw can you do that?   

let alone think about it

hUh ::) ;) :D

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #43 on: July 31, 2008, 08:39:30 pm
I simply have to wear a full face ( I have a modeling career to worry about ). What bugs me is helmet LAWS, they interfere with evolution.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #44 on: July 31, 2008, 09:05:01 pm

What do you fellow Enfield riders wear?

full face in the winter

3/4 open face (with flip up visor) in the summer

none when I'm in the shower.