Author Topic: helmet safety  (Read 21700 times)

Sag Harbor~Bullet

• Scooter
on: July 22, 2008, 12:13:17 pm
I use a 3/4 helmet, and a shorty for the summer.

A few folks have said that they only go out with full face protection. However, I tried a full helmet, and experienced reduced peripheral vision and loss of hearing. Two senses that seem paramount to safety.

That said, wouldn't it be safer to have full use of your hearing and sight, to maybe avoid the oncoming? ... rather than be so called better protected, but more vulnerable in some ways?

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but all the Harley riders wear the bare minimum skull caps. And the Ninja / Ducati guys are wearing Nascar looking gear. Ironically the ones riding 'crotch rockets' are the ones who seem to get into more trouble.

What do you fellow Enfield riders wear?

2007 Bullet Deluxe

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 01:06:12 pm
Depends on where I'm going. I use nothing less than a 3/4 hat with flip up face shield only on my gentle rides where traffic is light. Anything else I use a full.
A lot of people ask me, even some bikers, "why do you wear a jacket in the summer?" To which I answer, "I like my skin better than my sweat". Same for hats.

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 02:04:35 pm
I wear a 3/4 with faceshield. I considered a puddin' bowl, but I think wind noise would be excessive.

...I could be wrong.

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 02:20:29 pm
That said, wouldn't it be safer to have full use of your hearing and sight, to maybe avoid the oncoming? ... rather than be so called better protected, but more vulnerable in some ways?

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but all the Harley riders wear the bare minimum skull caps. And the Ninja / Ducati guys are wearing Nascar looking gear. Ironically the ones riding 'crotch rockets' are the ones who seem to get into more trouble.

oh boy, this thread should be good.  :P

Funny, I wear a FF helmet 100% of the time WITH earplugs.... to ENHANCE my vision and hearing.  And because I'd like to keep my face in the event of a crash.

The Hardley-Ableson guys go around wearing beanies and muscle shirts (and riding a Hardley to begine with) because they're retards.  ;)
Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/brian.wittling

geoffbaker

Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 03:11:36 pm
I wear a 3/4, only because I could NOT find a full face that would fit me at all in my local shop. I was planning on a f/f. I wear a mesh jacket and pants year round

I know, I know, we shouldn't judge. But as someone said in a previous thread... don't expect me to avert my eyes, either.

When I see a rider go by wearing a do-rag and a muscle T, I think... wonder what that's going to look like when it hits hot asphalt at 65 mph...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:23:30 pm by geoffbaker »

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 03:17:21 pm
I wear a 3/4, only because I could NOT find a full face that would fit me at all in my local shop. I was planning on a f/f. I wear a mesh jacket and pants year round

I know, I know, we shouldn't judge. But as someone said in a previous thread... don't expect me to avert my eyes, either.

When I see a rider go by wearing a do-rag and a muscle T, I think... wonder what that's going to look like when it hits hot asphalt at 65 mpg...

The most important feature of any helmet, is FIT. If it doesn't fit and it is uncomfortable, you won't wear it all the time, therefor it will do no good.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

exmayor

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 03:33:48 pm
I wear my HJC AC11 full face with ear plugs at all times.  For my round "Charlie Brown" shaped head it is a wonderful fit.  I got used to the full face when I bought the Monster.  On my previous '66 Triupmh I rode with a Davida pudding bowl.  Got older 63 and hopefully wiser. 

Rick
'06 Electra w/Rocket sidecar (Green)
'02 Ducati Monster 620 (Dark)

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 04:30:50 pm
     The last time I researched this I found that statically 30% of impacts happen to the facial area and 30% happen in the area around your ears and nape. I doubt that any of us are so pretty we can afford to have our face peeled off in a slide.
     As for the other myths: The only place a full coverage helmet restricts vision is to the gas cap. The window on all of them offer at least 150 degrees of peripheral vision. At 60MPH your effective field is 60 degrees. You still have to turn your head to see to the side.
     Full helmet block out wind noise. This is the back ground static that makes it hard to differentiate other sounds. Your ability to hear engines, horns, sirens, or anything else you need to hear is ENHANCED with the full helmet. With less back ground noise you will be less fatigued. This means you will be more alert and better able to anticipate those nasty situations. Your hearing will last you longer in life.
     When I started riding hearing protection was not even considered. I have lost a lot of hearing. If I had started with full helmets and ear plugs I would enjoy music more now.
 while we are  at it, another myth: The full coverage helmet will NOT break your neck in an accident. If you do break your neck it will be due to the impact, probably from landing on your face at speed. At least with a full helmet you can have an open casket.
     My suggestion is to find a full helmet that fits properly and is comfortable. Then wear it.

deejay

Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 05:27:06 pm
I say ride with whatever you want! I wear a full face, because thats what I'm comfortable in. But I'm not going to call people "retards" for not wearing the same gear. If you want safety, sell the bike and live in a bubble.

Sag Harbor~Bullet

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 06:08:38 pm
     The last time I researched this I found that statically 30% of impacts happen to the facial area and 30% happen in the area around your ears and nape. I doubt that any of us are so pretty we can afford to have our face peeled off in a slide.

My suggestion is to find a full helmet that fits properly and is comfortable. Then wear it.

Thanks for the information Vince.
That statistic alone makes a strong enough argument towards the full face.

My guess is that the older and more wiser riders are bigger on safety.( Whereas the muscle heads are more into the sub culture which includes sleeveless shirts...and beanie helmets.)

Getting a safe and comfortable fitting helmet is important to me. And just yesterday, when a local rider suggested that a full face was the way to go, I decided to pay quick heed to his advise ...even if I'm only riding on the back roads.

He took a spill at 30 mph and wound up rubbing the face portion of his helmet on the asphalt. If it weren't for the FF, it could have been ugly.

I enjoy the feel of the 3/4...but I like my face too!
Time to do some shopping.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 06:41:30 pm by SagHarbor~Bullet »
2007 Bullet Deluxe

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 07:44:38 pm
I ride with a cop helmet,  not 3/4 but also not a skull cap.  I like how it keeps the sun off my ears and I can still get good ventilation when stationary here in Florida.  Also has a zip in neck insert for cool weather riding.

I see the benefit of a full face helmet but choose not to use one (might get one this winter tho).
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

j.p. burrito

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 08:28:04 pm
I wear a full face Scorpion EXO700 and a Firstgear black mesh jacket with the gloves available from the Royal Enfield store.  I chose that to make sure it was Snell certified.
These are all black and it is surprisingly comfortable and I live in Austin, TX which is 100 degrees right now.  The only time it gets hot is at a stop light but the jacket is really cool while you are moving.
I considered the Scorpion 3/4 but decided against it.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 09:41:12 pm
The Hardley-Ableson guys go around wearing beanies and muscle shirts (and riding a Hardley to begine with) because they're retards.  ;)

Whereas the muscle heads are more into the sub culture which includes sleeveless shirts...and beanie helmets.

So, if I have this right, if you don't have a full face helmet and all the latest safety accessories on your either a retard or a muscle head!
Pretty pisspoor mindset IMHO.
I was always under the opinion that you wore whatever you wanted to and rode whatever you wanted to and didn't really care what anyone else wore or rode.
But alas in this age of clones we have to adopt whatever those up on the pedestal tell us or we might become a retard (sorry, special needs individual) or even worse a sub-cultured muscle head, like me.
The horrors of it all.

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 09:56:57 pm
I use a open face with tinted  visor in the summer...naturally its british racing green to match green machine...have a full helmet for when temps change...Being a child of the 70's, its a free country and wear what ya want....doesn't have to be a 400 + dollar helmet...We 're all the same on the road and exposed to the same dangers...Be safe, keep your speed down (kinda easy on a enfield) and stay alert...cheers
Oh Magoo you done it again

Sag Harbor~Bullet

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 10:04:57 pm
The horrors of it all.

My apologies for the politically incorrect generalization.

2007 Bullet Deluxe