Author Topic: Anybody interested in a Blue Ridge Parkway Get-together next spring????  (Read 35721 times)

Ritter1066

• Mr. E.
  • Scooter
I just tuned in (FNG), so would like to know what happened to the meeting on the BRP.  There is a Beemer rally in Boone, NC sometime in August, I believe.  They let any type of bike in--once saw 4 Munch's from the '70's there.  Anyway, that might make a good fallback time if nec.  Otherwise, would love to ride down and meet with you guys!  Ed from DC.
Roger, out.

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Welcome to the forum Ritter.

I work wierd hours and we are a guy short right now, which makes my schedule somewhat unpredictable but I'll try to get things rolling here.

Original plan was to meet at the High County Campground, near North Wilkesboro/Boone, NC. and that is fine with me.

The only real planning needed is to pick a weekend and a campsite, and give them a heads up on how many.  It would probably be best to let people make their own camping/cabin reservations.

Looking at my schedule, the weekend of May 31st would be my first choice.

Everybody put in your choice for date and location and lets see if we can get this thing kick started.

Andy

Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
The Brit Bike Forum 3 state mountain ride is May 17th, at the Blowing Rock inn. I have already committed to this-un, but  will try for next year.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Hey all. i'm another FNG to this stuff. Got my AVL 3 weeks ago and I live about 2 miles from the BRP in Virginia. I also work weird hours and find it hard to get time off, but this sounds pretty awesome to me. There's a place called Willville campground at the Meadows of Dan that's a right popular motorcycle destination...but then again what isn't along the BRP?
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
 Well guys, I kind of dropped the ball on this one. It was originally my idea for the BRP ride and camp. Was supposed to have been the middle of May at my friend Brent's' High Country Campground. I contacted Brent and he said he would love to have us. Unfortunately, not long after that my heart quit working, well almost anyway. After four visits to four different hospitals I received a new heart on Jan 3. Have been out of the hospital for about three months now. Have not (until the last few weeks) recuperated as quickly as I thought I would, so...........I haven't followed up on the get together. As Ritter said, there is a BMW rally in Boone in August, there is also an airhead BMW rally not far from Boone on June 13-15. I'm sure that we would be welcome there also. I have been an airhead for many years and know Charlie Smith, the guy putting on the rally.  If there is enough interest, I will contact him to see if he minds having a few Hindu bikes as guests.........Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

michigandon

• Scooter
Dew, I'm sorry to read about that.  :( Hope you are okay.

My wife spent a good chunk of her childhood in NC and wants me to ride the Parkway with her. We would probably trailer our bikes down behind the motorhome. Could easily join up with other riders if we knew the date far enough in advance.

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Unfortunately, not long after that my heart quit working, well almost anyway. After four visits to four different hospitals I received a new heart on Jan 3. Have been out of the hospital for about three months now. Have not (until the last few weeks) recuperated as quickly as I thought I would, so...........

Well of course we're all just mad as hornets about you "dropping the ball". Man, I hope YOU are doing better. The Parkway ain't goin' nowhere, and a little extra time to break in the bike works for me.

If anyone is interested, there is a Brit bike ralley in my neck of the woods every year at Glen Maury Park in beautiful Buena Vista, Virginia. I'm sure we would be welcome with that crowd as well. They also hold a sidecar rally there every year if any of you have a hack. Buena Vista isn't Mount Mitchell, but it's only a short jaunt to the Skyline Drive.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Well guys, I kind of dropped the ball on this one. It was originally my idea for the BRP ride and camp. Was supposed to have been the middle of May at my friend Brent's' High Country Campground. I contacted Brent and he said he would love to have us. Unfortunately, not long after that my heart quit working, well almost anyway. After four visits to four different hospitals I received a new heart on Jan 3. Have been out of the hospital for about three months now. Have not (until the last few weeks) recuperated as quickly as I thought I would, so...........I haven't followed up on the get together. As Ritter said, there is a BMW rally in Boone in August, there is also an airhead BMW rally not far from Boone on June 13-15. I'm sure that we would be welcome there also. I have been an airhead for many years and know Charlie Smith, the guy putting on the rally.  If there is enough interest, I will contact him to see if he minds having a few Hindu bikes as guests.........Dew.

Dew,

Good to hear from you again.

Keep on recoverin'!

Maybe we should all thump over to your place for a visit!

Matt

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey

Dew,

Keep on recoverin'!

Matt

Hey Matt, you are welcome anytime, so are the rest of you. Just give me a heads up when you are coming.  Lots of great roads around here in Ky. , Ohio, and West Virginia.  Oh yeah, Ridgerunner, I've been to Glen Maury Park and Buena Vista several times. Its about 5 or 6 miles from the BRP. The mountain is a great place to coast race. Turn off your engine at the top and race into town four miles down the mountain. It's really a hoot. I passed a V-max on my R90S BMW (wish I still had it) doing seventy with the engine off. It scared him so bad he almost ran in the ditch. Ridgerunner, let us know when the rally is this year and I will try to go.......Later.....Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey

Dew,

Keep on recoverin'!

Matt

Hey Matt, you are welcome anytime, so are the rest of you. Just give me a heads up when you are coming.  Lots of great roads around here in Ky. , Ohio, and West Virginia.  Oh yeah, Ridgerunner, I've been to Glen Maury Park and Buena Vista several times. Its about 5 or 6 miles from the BRP. The mountain is a great place to coast race. Turn off your engine at the top and race into town four miles down the mountain. It's really a hoot. I passed a V-max on my R90S BMW (wish I still had it) doing seventy with the engine off. It scared him so bad he almost ran in the ditch. Ridgerunner, let us know when the rally is this year and I will try to go.......Later.....Dew.

I know the annual airhead rally is August 7-9. If I hear of when the Ural or Brits in the Blue Ridge rallies are, I'll post them.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
British in the Blue Ridge is June 6,7 & 8 at the Bald Mountain Campground in Hiawassi, Ga.

Check out http://www.gabma.us/ for more details.

Work permitting I'll be there.

Andy
Andy Wiltshire

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
British in the Blue Ridge is June 6,7 & 8 at the Bald Mountain Campground in Hiawassi, Ga.

Andy

Cool. My brother just got back from the BMW rally there. he said it was pretty awesome and everyone was really friendly too.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)

slick-tenn

• Neophyte
If anybody is interested we could meet at the "High Country Campground" a few miles off the parkway on Rt. 421. Its never too early to start planning. My bike would do great on the parkway, just thumpin' along at 45 mph, enjoying the scenery. What do you think???? Let me know.....Dew.
While not a current RE owner, I plan to be in the immediate future. I'd be QUITE interested in a Spring Rally! I am not a camper, tho, and would like motel-it nearby. I live just over the mountain in greater Knoxville. Keep me posted! RMLSOTMHG@CHARTER.NET.

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350

Andy

Just a reminder for anybody interested.  I hope to get there sometime Friday in the PM.  I should be riding SRL790.

Andy
Andy Wiltshire