Author Topic: Opinion on new C5's with black frame and headlight casing?  (Read 2628 times)

tresser4K

• Scooter
Which do you prefer, the monochromatic paint schemes, or the new black frame, fork and tool/battery boxes?

I am thinking about repainting a teal C5, and need to decide if the frame and fork should match, or be black.

Thanks

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 06:20:31 am
I think the black frame looks really good with the classic colors like deep reds and greens.  The teal looks very good as a monochromatic scheme but wouldn't look good with a black frame.  If I were going to keep the tank, fenders, and tin work teal but change the frame color I'd probably go with something other than black.  Maybe a nice silver or white.

Scott

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 06:59:53 am
I like that my tins and frame all match. But then, they are black ;D

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 02:59:58 pm
Hopefully this will answer your question:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=4421

In other words, keep it teal.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

tresser4K

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 04:26:25 pm
Well,  it will most likely not stay teal.
The front-runners are deep midnight blue or a metallic light fern.  Also considering battle green.

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 04:57:02 pm
The C5 looks great in battle or military green. Throw on some metal panniers and you have a bike that will draw the attention of every military man around. It also looks good in basic black.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 12:47:20 am
First, thanks Krimp, I appreciate the nod. Second, they aren't making Bullets in classic green (teal) anymore, so, with a whole lot of wishful thinking, someday they may be worth more. Third, all period Bullets were monochromatic, down to the air filter boxes and shock shrouds. And lastly, it's your bike; do to it what makes you both happy and you'll never go wrong.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

tresser4K

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 04:13:30 am
I just finished pulling out all the wiring and all that is left are the wheels and engine. I will not be pulling the engine.

Now leaning to satin black frame and fork and silver tank fenders and boxes.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 04:38:31 am
That sounds really good.

tresser4K

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 10:32:23 pm
now it's deep emerald frame, forks, casquette (sp?). tinwork and boxes in a silver.

smashed my thumb loosening the front turn signal to fork cover nut.. OWWW!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 10:44:43 pm
I find myself wanting to change the color of the bike occasionally, so I always paint the frame black, and then I only have to paint the tins.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 05:04:31 pm
I just finished pulling out all the wiring and all that is left are the wheels and engine. I will not be pulling the engine.

Now leaning to satin black frame and fork and silver tank fenders and boxes.

Masking/Painting tips:
*Auto store rattle can "Engine Enamel" is completely fuel proof & comes in many colors (I personally prefer the traditional Gloss Black).
*Aluminum Foil, & Plastic Shopping Bags make excellent masking materials in addition to your basic newspaper & tape.
Have fun!
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 11:01:55 pm
tresser4K - I don't know your skill set or what tools you have, but if you are interested and you have (or want to buy) a descent compressor and I can walk you thru the proper way to prep and paint your bike to make sure you end up with a quality paint job that looks good and will last.    :D

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

tresser4K

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 11:29:31 pm
Thanks for the offer, I think I may be OK.
  I have painted 5 or 6 cars now, and only one came out badly, and that was due to a defective gun. I don't use anything in a spray can. And all PPG product.
The frame is already painted in black epoxy primer, and I am about to hit it with single stage black urethane.  I still have not decided what color to paint the tinwork, for now I painted everything in army green plasti-dip. I will just peel it off when I figure out what I want.  The tip about simple black frame was a good one, it goes with everything.

I have a quart of basecoat in this color:
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL97/465862/675869/64968085.jpg

I think it would be a nice classic color.

Any thoughts?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 11:46:27 pm
If you already have the paint and like the color then I say do it.   :)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

tresser4K

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 12:02:27 am
The paint is left over from painting my corrado a few years back.

I also have a dark dark metallic green, mojave beige, champagne metallic, metallic light fern green(audi allroad), and standard silver.

So, not so easy to decide. 

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 01:11:55 pm
Which do you prefer, the monochromatic paint schemes, or the new black frame, fork and tool/battery boxes?

I am thinking about repainting a teal C5, and need to decide if the frame and fork should match, or be black.

Thanks
I fall under the black frame with painted tins category. I have one of the new cream and maroon C5s and like the different colored bits. If I were to ever have to repaint it. I'm thinking a classic British racing green on the tins as the gold Enfield logos will stand out really well.