Menu

Members Rides

1964 Royal Enfield Bullet

in
Members Rides

NField Gear

30 Guests, 3 Users (1 Hidden)
skyfli, gizzo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 04, 2015, 05:28:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Harbor Freight Horn Upgrade  (Read 1217 times)

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Re: Harbor Freight Horn Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 10:22:15 pm »
HAHA!  They do get people's attention, and that is no joke.

Ya know, if you aren't using that starter, I bet you could hook them to those leads without having to run any new wires.... 
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • There Are No Truths Outside The Gates of Eden
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 07:16:06 am »
HAHA!  They do get people's attention, and that is no joke.

Ya know, if you aren't using that starter, I bet you could hook them to those leads without having to run any new wires....

No, I have to keep my starter enabled for the rare time when it might die at a stoplight & I need an immediate start to avoid being flattened out like a frog by the lunatics who now populate my small twin towns where the traffic has turned to total lunacy since the '50s, '60s & early '70s when it used to actually be a pleasure to ride a bike around with like-minded people.
It's a challenge now to leave my own driveway & get home again without at least one near-death experience; and it usually happens at the first 4-way stop I come to which is 3 minutes from my house. The next comes at the 4-way stoplights where 6 lanes now converge from both E/W & N/S where it used to be Two-Lane Blacktop, Huck Meader's gas station (it had a lift & a pit) & a laundromat. Now it's a huge, horrible commercial center. It's a deathwish just waiting to come true. 

Plus I'd have to get used to a new switch  :) ;)

I've decided to do this horn thing over the Winter. I already have enuff things goin' on.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:20:00 am by tooseevee »
2008 ACE Head AVL Classic
1977 Shovelhead Hardtail Bobber

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 12:31:22 pm »
After letting my Harbor Freight horns rest on the shelf in my back room for 13 months, I finally got around to installing one of them.

I really didn't have room for two so I chose the low pitched horn and mounted it.

Pushing the horn button resulted in a nice sounding honk.  In fact, just to make sure everything was fine, I honked it 4 more times.  :)

Later in the day, I rode down to the end of my street, turned the corner onto a major street and rode about 1/4 mile.  That's when I decided to test my horn again.  HONK. :)

I poked the button again and....nothing.  Not a pip.  >:(

Figuring one of the wires might have become dislodged, I rode over to the Hot Rod/Antique car/Motorcycle get together and checked the wiring.
Everything was fine but still no honk from the horn.
I figured a brand new horn should be working but maybe I fried my horn button.

This morning, I checked the horn button.  Full power going to the horn.
I checked the horn for resistance and found no continuity at all.  Absolutely no power was going thru the horn.
In other words, in less than 1/4 mile of being shook by a big thumper, it died so, I put the OEM horn back on my bike.  Beep...Beep. :)

You folks who have installed these horns might want to try them out from time to time.
If your horns lasted as long as mine did, all you will hear is the thump of your engine when you poke the horn button. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 08:39:58 pm »
I shelled out the $$ for a WOLO Bad Boy.
Never been happier.
When I tested it by direct hookup to my battery I nearly came unglued.  :o
5000 miles on it and hasn't failed me yet.
Rather than have a homeless person for the holidays, I decided to stick with ham.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • There Are No Truths Outside The Gates of Eden
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 10:58:46 am »
After letting my Harbor Freight horns rest on the shelf in my back room for 13 months, I finally got around to installing one of them.
I really didn't have room for two so I chose the low pitched horn and mounted it.
Pushing the horn button resulted in a nice sounding honk.  In fact, just to make sure everything was fine, I honked it 4 more times.  :)
Later in the day, I rode down to the end of my street, turned the corner onto a major street and rode about 1/4 mile.  That's when I decided to test my horn again.  HONK. :)
I poked the button again and....nothing.  Not a pip.  >:(

I mounted mine where the picture shows. I ran bulletproof wiring with a fuse and relay (I cannot stand wiring problems). They still blow fine and are incredibly LOUD!! 8) I have not blown them on the road AT anyone yet. No one has attracted my anger enough yet. I don't bother with a horn for just "normal" traffic idiots. Never have.

I've got to fab up some stronger brackets some day. The ones that come with the horns are useless thin sheet metal, but they've been OK so far  :-[  (I don't ride thousands of miles a month).
2008 ACE Head AVL Classic
1977 Shovelhead Hardtail Bobber