aboard

Author Topic: Harbor Freight Horn Upgrade  (Read 6167 times)

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
on: June 11, 2014, 10:34:14 pm
So commuting in Tucson (recently ranked 15th on worst cities to drive in) on a motorcycle, even with my conservative riding, I have to use the horn from time to time.  The stock horn wasn't cutting it.  It worked as it should, but was a very meager 'meep'.  :P

I picked up a set of these after seeing some videos on Youtube about them.  I found them on sale for $7.99 at Harbor Freight.

The wiring was pretty straight forward, the relay mounted right to a mounting bolt in the left side toolbox.  I used a 10A in-line fuse for the direct power.

Painted the brackets black to make them less noticeable.  Not sure I'm crazy about the mounting location I chose.  I wanted to go either high or low, I didn't want to obstruct air flow over the iron barrel.

And the finished product...

Not too bad from a distance...

And of course a video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OcAgZSacf8

The sound comparison starts about 45 seconds in.  It is a huge difference, I mean huge!  In fact, I'm holding the camera when my son hits the new horn for the recording and it startled me even though I was expecting it.  Cagers will be looking for a Cadillac when they hear these horns...  8)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:48:46 pm by azcatfan »
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

i.candide

• Bulleteer
  • Romancing the Life
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 08:38:45 am
Love it!!! Gotta do it to mine. :)
Romancing the life
On a 2015 Military Green C5
In Southern California

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 02:57:51 pm
I always hesitated on those bc I didn't think they'd look good, but that looks great!
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 05:27:09 pm
I guess I'll have to make a trip to my local Harbor Freight tomorrow. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 07:34:37 pm
I think they'd look great on a UCE, I have that big starter hump down low and up front, if it wasn't there, that's where I would have mounted them...

wingsfan3019

• Neophyte
  • Mid-Michigan
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 10:59:53 am
Awesome
-Jeff
2002 RE Bullet 500es
2006 Honda Ruckus

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 03:01:11 pm
Those sound damn good for HF!  Don't look bad either.  :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Hondo

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 09:24:18 pm
I looked at those last weekend but left them on the shelf.  I'll be going back.  Thanks for the video.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 12:03:01 am
I bought a pair of them for about $10 but after getting home and studying the situation on my G5 an obvious place to mount them wasn't obvious.

I'm still studying things.
I'm not really in a big hurry.  I think in 3 years of ownership I've honked my bikes horn about 3 times.
It would have been 4 times but I use the thing so little, when I wanted to honk at the guy ahead of me for not moving on the green left turn arrow I poked the turn signal button.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 08:36:39 am
If I didn't have an early ES model with the hump in the front, I would have used a Ubolt and mounted them low on the front, I've seen other models with the horns located there...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • There Are No Truths Outside The Gates Of Eden
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 02:42:54 pm
      The stock AVL's horn doesn't doesn't have a relay in its circuit, does it?  If it does, it's pretty well hidden.

How does just a single horn sound, Azcatfan?

I moved my horn during the first year. I never use it. It's too embarrassing   :-[  I don't want anyone to hear it IF they could hear it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 02:54:16 pm by tooseevee »
2008 AVL Classic.Extensive head work by Ace.Ace canister/TM32/Ace manifold.Small open bottle/hot tube removed.Pertronix Coil.Bobber seat.Fed mandates removed.Battery in right side case.Decomp&all doodads removed.'30s Lucas taillight/7" headlight.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 09:46:33 pm
      The stock AVL's horn doesn't doesn't have a relay in its circuit, does it?  If it does, it's pretty well hidden.

How does just a single horn sound, Azcatfan?

I moved my horn during the first year. I never use it. It's too embarrassing   :-[  I don't want anyone to hear it IF they could hear it.

I did a quick test when I was hooking these up.  Neither the high nor low tone would sound right without the relay or without going directly to the battery.  So even running a single of these you'd still need a relay, which wasn't terribly difficult.

As for how a single actually sounds, either of these running by themselves is an upgrade to the stock horn, and of the two the high pitched one is more penetrating on its own.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 10:14:47 am
I did a quick test when I was hooking these up.  Neither the high nor low tone would sound right without the relay or without going directly to the battery.  So even running a single of these you'd still need a relay, which wasn't terribly difficult.

As for how a single actually sounds, either of these running by themselves is an upgrade to the stock horn, and of the two the high pitched one is more penetrating on its own.

I ordered a set of these yesterday & I'll wire them both up with a relay & fuse. I have to think out my wiring well because I spent a lot of hours cleaning up all the wiring under the seat & unwrapping all the wires going forward (30), cleaned everything up & rewrapped the whole thing using '50s style cloth harness wrap.

Did you plug your bike's original hot horn wire into 86 on the relay & mount it up forward? Then run a new 12V+ wire from the battery forward to the relay's 30/51 input?

Or did you mount the relay under the seat? I guess under the seat is best
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:17:06 am by tooseevee »
2008 AVL Classic.Extensive head work by Ace.Ace canister/TM32/Ace manifold.Small open bottle/hot tube removed.Pertronix Coil.Bobber seat.Fed mandates removed.Battery in right side case.Decomp&all doodads removed.'30s Lucas taillight/7" headlight.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 03:03:29 pm
I used the stock horn wires to go into the relay.  Once I unwound the harness, the stock wires reached and allowed me to hook up the relay in the left side triangle tool box next to the main fuse.  Then I ran the wires out of the relay back up front and into the horns.  I used a bullet splitter and bullet connectors under the tank.

I'm at work right now, but I can take some pictures when I get home.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 05:58:07 pm
I used the stock horn wires to go into the relay.  Once I unwound the harness, the stock wires reached and allowed me to hook up the relay in the left side triangle tool box next to the main fuse.  Then I ran the wires out of the relay back up front and into the horns.  I used a bullet splitter and bullet connectors under the tank.

I'm at work right now, but I can take some pictures when I get home.

I can see what you did in my head. I just don't really want to unharness that harness again. I spent Sooo much time on it before.

I think I'll remove the tank, find a safe place for the relay up forward & plug the OE hot horn wire into it. Then run a NEW fused wire from the relay back to the battery. Then arrange it all well, Ty-Wrap it to the harness, finish the wires from the relay to the horns & I'm in shitcity with a set of 100db horns. Can't wait to blow them at some idiot  :) ;)