Author Topic: Safety Issue- PLEASE READ!!!  (Read 5520 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 11, 2014, 02:38:21 am
Please Head My Warning And Read This, As I Damn Near Just Lost My Eye!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wear safety glasses when changing out your headlight!  I was just changing out my headlight and ring about an hour ago.  I removed the headlight from the bike and brought inside to work on it at the kitchen table.  Upon trying to remove the very first W clip, or as I will forever now refer to as FU clips, it snapped out of place like a rocket and hit me directly in my left eye.  My eye immediately saw a bright flash and then completely blacked out for almost 30 seconds, and then started fading into a black spot towards the middle of my vision.  The black spot is starting to go away but is still slightly present, but my vision is still blurry out of my left eye and quite irritated and painful.  There is a noticeable spot just below my cornea where the clip hit me.  I hope I didn't cause any permanent damage and I sincerely hope this doesn't ever happen to anyone else.

ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN WORKING ON ANYTHING POSSIBLY HAZARDOUS!!!!!

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 04:15:46 am
Oh man!  Hope you're ok Scottie.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 05:00:01 am
Scottie:

Hope that your eye is recovering but get it examined by an ophthalmologist or a good physician. It is not worth risking an internal eye damage.

You have given a very important warning to not touch these headlight clips without eye glasses. These are incredibly dangerous clips and shoot out at the speed of light. 

Wear glasses while riding as well - if not wearing a full-face helmet.

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 05:21:25 am
Get checked out, doesn't take much to detach a retina...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 09:06:18 am
Oh man!
Hope it clears up!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 12:11:31 pm
I think I may have traumatic iritis.  And after reading about eye injuries I am now more concerned.  My vision is still a little blurry, but what really concerns me is that the black line in my vision came back in my sleep and my eye is still pretty sore.  What really pisses me off is that my safety glasses were sitting ON THE FUCKING TABLE 3' from where I was working.  So mad at myself.  I think I'm going to be going to the eye doctor this morning to have it looked at.  Damn it!

For anyone who is interested, here is a page describing the 7 most common eye injuries.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/eye-injuries.htm

Scottie J

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 01:24:12 pm
I just took this picture.  It does not feel nor look good.  I hope I'm going to be ok.     :-\

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 02:38:22 pm
Capillaries in sclera are burst which makes it more susceptible to infection. Physician may prescribe antibiotic eye drops in addition to anti-inflammatory agents.

It is the inside that needs to be really checked as well.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 03:26:55 pm
Hope u get better...A sudden jarring of the eye can cause flashes of light..Scary indeed..Wife did something to her left eye 3 months ago and she still gets minor flashing...It really started to worry her hen she woke up the next morning and it was still there...Number 1 thing is u want to make sure the retina hasn't detached and the eye doctor will examine u for this.  This may take awhile to settle down but you're young and that enhances the healing process....
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 04:50:56 pm
No one will see me without medical insurance or a substantial up front payment.  Obama, you're affordable health care act is a joke.  This is so frustrating.  Maybe I can figure out what to do when the wife gets home.  I can see and all but it sure is painful.  Not to mention I really don't want my vision to be any worse than it already is.  I think I'm going to look into prescription safety glasses.  I'm supposed to be wearing glasses anyways, but I broke them last year and never replaced them.  If I get prescription safety glasses then I won't have to worry something like this happening again.  Like I was telling my wife I almost always wear safety glasses, I ALWAYS wear them when using power tools.  It just never dawned on me I would need them to do a quick swap of a headlight.

Scottie J
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:44:18 pm by High On Octane »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 12:29:38 am
Nice edit, Scottie!  ;)

When they said motorcycling was dangerous, I think they meant you were supposed to hurt yourself while riding!

Good luck with this, bro!  Sorry to hear about the hassles, but get it checked... don't screw with your eyesight!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 12:55:06 am
Never did get into anywhere.  I just kept putting a package of frozen corn on it every couple of hours all day long.  Here's hoping my eye doesn't stop working.

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 01:10:35 am
Scotty,

Thanks for sharing the experience.  It's good for us all to get a reminder once in a while about these things.  I hope you heal up well.

Cheers,

Dan K.

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 07:36:30 am
Man that sucks... I hope it heals up fast with no complications or lasting damage.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 01:02:01 pm
Man that sucks... I hope it heals up fast with no complications or lasting damage.

It almost 2 weeks to fully heal, but there are no long term injuries or issues.   It did suck tho because until it healed I kept seeing a dark spot in my vision and would see stars from time to time.  But I'm all better now.

Scottie J