Author Topic: Compressed air through timing shaft  (Read 1451 times)

jedaks

• Bulleteer
on: June 03, 2014, 05:07:41 pm
Whilst I am awaiting some parts to be delivered, I have my engine cases filled with diesel to de-gunk the innards. I was wondering if it would be safe to blow some compressed air up the quill bolt hole into the shaft, so as to make sure the oil gallery is clear to the big end.

OK or Not OK?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 08:18:11 pm
Sounds like a good idea to me.  Especially if you keep adding a bit of fluid to the passage and then blow it out repeatedly.

The fluid will wash away a lot of the crap that just air would just pass by.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 08:26:48 pm
The Pressure Relief Valve (a ball bearing and spring) is located at the end of the crank timing shaft in a slight recess.
There is a slight possibility that if there is any muck located in front of the ball bearing it might end up lodged underneath it. 

No real problem when things are apart but you do need to ensure the ball is seated correctly before buttoning the engine back up together.  If no oil appears other than at the crank pin during final testing then it should be good to go.

ric.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.