Author Topic: Computer Science or Computer Engineering?  (Read 1335 times)

princeguy885

• princeguy885
  • Neophyte
on: June 10, 2014, 04:27:47 am
I just graduated from high school, and now I'm confused about what degree to take in college. By the way, I'm from the Philippines. In our country, it takes 5 years to finish the Computer Engineering degree and only 4 years for the Computer Science degree. I've always thought about taking up computer engineering, but when I knew that it takes 5 years, I doubted taking it already but I'm still interested in it. Do you think taking up computer engineering for 5 years would be worth it? Or taking up computer science for 4 years would be just like the contrary? I mean, are the job opportunities the same? The salary? Lastly, which degree requires more math?

I'm really confused between these two degrees, so I really need help from people who have knowledge about this matter. Thanks in advance.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 11:23:29 pm
I think you might be on the wrong site.  ;D  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 01:04:06 am
Good question, thanks for asking.
In the U.S.,  I recomend young people consider the "trades" or an apprenticeship.
I know folks that have degrees that haven't held a job in years or are currently"under employed".
Your situation may be different. Out side the US a college degree might be your only chance to leave a situation that is undesirable.
One of the questions I have for you is who is going to pay your tuition? Even if collage is free ,you will be out of work for at least 5 years.  Or incur tremendous debt that may take a life time to pay back.
Besides, the sooner you get to work( skilled trade) the sooner you can purchase a Royal Enfield Motorcycle . Not to mention the boost in social status.
Hope this helps you some.
Best wishes
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 02:16:18 am
Well... I thought I would chime in. It depends.

What do you want to do?

Engineering is heavy on math, but will provide you with a broader education that will provide other opportunities in the future. The extra education does take an extra year, hence the broader of the 2. Eng degree are generally more marketable.

CS degree will give you some of the same technical background, lots of computer programming, no where near the amount of math. If you enjoy coding and working with development of apps (for all sorts of info tech) then you'll be happy with this. V competitive job market at the moment and an apprenticeship or internahip would do you well. Of course, you hVe to stay up to date in either choice.

Could always start on eng degree and switch if it's not for you. The 1st year is mostly gen ed anyway.... But again, what interests you? Nothing worse being stuck at a job you hate for 50+hours a week.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra