Author Topic: Rainproofing  (Read 2871 times)

Magoo

• Bulleteer
on: June 08, 2014, 07:56:58 am
After an enjoyable and dry Western Australian summer and autumn, we're about to get some decent winter rain.
I use the C5 to commute so I'm looking for rain/water proofing tips to ensure I'm not left on the side of the freeway in the rain.
Aside from an entire coating of Vaseline/petroleum jelly. What should I be looking at keeping dry?
Battery terminals obviously. But is there a lot of water seepage into the nest behind the headlight I should be wary of?
Where do people find the most issues after riding in the wet?
Thanks.
Trav

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 04:12:17 am
I live in rainy Portland, OR here in the States and I've never done anything to water proof the bike, never had any trouble.  A few weeks ago I was hauling back from Seattle and ran into 30 minutes of very heavy rain and hail.  The bike never skipped a beat.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 04:28:05 am
I have recently changed the headlight to 7 inches. There is a significant gap between the two rings (photo below) and they slide on each other easily. I am sure water will go through it.

Has anyone done anything about it ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 05:03:45 am
singhg5 - I have the same 7" light, I've ridden in the rain a few times and subsequently cleaned the bike afterwards, I didn't notice any water penetrating that ring.   I even pulled the headlight to check that things were dry.  It has a lip and sits together fairly tight.  You could maybe use some petroleum jelly on the ring if you are concerned, or maybe some chapstick like I use on my camping gear zippers...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 05:44:15 am
singhg5 - I have the same 7" light, I've ridden in the rain a few times and subsequently cleaned the bike afterwards, I didn't notice any water penetrating that ring.   I even pulled the headlight to check that things were dry.  It has a lip and sits together fairly tight.  You could maybe use some petroleum jelly on the ring if you are concerned, or maybe some chapstick like I use on my camping gear zippers...

Good idea to put some water repellent on it.  How about applying a self-sealing tape on the gap to fully cover it ?

Also the bulb gets pretty hot and the jumbled up wires in the headlight nacelle are touching the back of the hot bulb - any concern ?   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 05:46:44 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 05:56:01 am
Good idea to put some water repellent on it.  How about applying a self-sealing tape on the gap to fully cover it ?

Also the bulb gets pretty hot and the jumbled up wires in the headlight nacelle are touching the back of the hot bulb - any concern ?

On mine, I can loosen the top screw to get the outer ring to come forward and it hinges off of the catch on the bottom.  I like retaining that access without having to remove the inner ring completely so I wouldn't want to use the tape personally.  If you did, you could still take the whole piece off via the three screws and still have access.

As far as the wires go, you've been in there as much as anyone else on the forum, I made sure that the zip ties were tight and that as little as possible touches the back of the light, but you have to leave enough slack in the wires for when you access it...

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 08:50:30 am
If you ever remove a bulb or any wire , I always use Die electric grease .
WD40 helps stop some rust. Also use ACF 50 on bare metal.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 02:33:43 pm
I park my bike exposed on the street, and have ridden extensively in the rain. I have had some water in the area of the battery terminals (so protect those) but it hasn't caused a short to the best of my knowledge. I did have a short concurrent with a rainy period, but I cured it by better insulating a few dodgy stretches of wire that appeared to be rubbing, so I think rain was unrelated.

I do have a bit of corrosion on some of the hardware (mirror bolts, screws that hold in the pillion seat, etc), but the bike itself seems to be fine.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

FastDoc

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 05:53:10 pm
Silicone dielectric grease will help your electrical connectors but other than that I'd not be too concerned.

These bikes are made to operate in India, a very wet hot harsh climate, particularly in the south.

I live in a desert though. Rain is not much of a factor.
Happily riding in the southeast Washington desert
Bikes owned:

2004 Ducati ST4S-ABS
2007 Honda Gold Wing 1800
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S Dualsport
1998 Yamaha YZ400F racebike converted to Dualsport
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

Other stuff:

2002 Maule airplane
1996 Corvette
1992 Ranger 4X4

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 07:16:51 pm
I have recently changed the headlight to 7 inches. There is a significant gap between the two rings (photo below) and they slide on each other easily. I am sure water will go through it.

Has anyone done anything about it ?
Singh Ji,
I have the 7" on my C5 and I have absolutely no gap on mine ....maybe the G5 is a bit different. What 7" have you used? I got the one from NFG actually the dealer from Fresno here in Nor Cal..it's XS minda.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 07:32:04 pm
I park my bike exposed on the street, and have ridden extensively in the rain. I have had some water in the area of the battery terminals (so protect those) but it hasn't caused a short to the best of my knowledge. I did have a short concurrent with a rainy period, but I cured it by better insulating a few dodgy stretches of wire that appeared to be rubbing, so I think rain was unrelated.

I do have a bit of corrosion on some of the hardware (mirror bolts, screws that hold in the pillion seat, etc), but the bike itself seems to be fine.

corrosion is the problem with rain and 12 volt electrics....

When my bike is out in the weather, I squirt WD40 into the switches.  (especially the ignition switch)
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 11:26:47 pm
Singh Ji,
I have the 7" on my C5 and I have absolutely no gap on mine ....maybe the G5 is a bit different. What 7" have you used? I got the one from NFG actually the dealer from Fresno here in Nor Cal..it's XS minda.

I had bought the set of rings for a 7 inch bulb from NFG. Bought a Sylvania 7" H6024 preassembled bulb from a local auto store. 

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:45:33 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 12:55:09 am
Well, well well !

I opened up the headlight again after reading all your comments. Took whole thing apart. And realized what had really happened. 

While getting ready to install the larger bulb, I found that the top screw was not threading into the top brass headlight fixing plate (small piece with bent ends) that came with 7" rings. So I tried the screw in the original plate and the screw fitted easily. I went ahead and used the original fixing plate not realizing that it was LONGER than the one used for 7" rings !

It was the bad threading screw that did it :D. Sometimes what fits easily can lead us into gaps !

A picture is worth a 1000 words - so here it goes - 2 of them and there is no more gap that was bothering me.   
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 01:04:53 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 01:08:49 am
There you go!  I went out into the garage to inspect mine to see why you were so concerned about where the rims meet up.  I could not tell by the first picture you posted that there was a gap.  Glad you have it figured out.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 05:04:59 am
Hey Singh:  I bet your headlight actually points down the road 15 or 20 yards now rather than pointing at the ground in front of the front tire!   ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary