Author Topic: Rt. shift conversion problems  (Read 1572 times)

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
on: June 06, 2014, 03:14:35 am
 I decided to start a new thread about my rt. shift progress. I started this afternoon by removing the left shift parts. Kinda a pain in the butt but got it done a short while ago.
 I bought a Rt. shift conversion kit  from Hitchcocks about 4 years ago, it came by the Post Office and the box was pretty tore up with a hole torn out of one corner big enough to put your hand in >:( I contacted Hitchcoks and they they thought it was all there.
 I had some things come up in my life and the Enfield got put on hold until recently.
Here are some photos of the progress so far:
Pushrod
Yeah, times have changed, me, not so much

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 03:30:48 am
 Ok now for the problems :( I don't know if I didn't get all the parts I need from the kit or what but I think I need at least two additional parts which kinda sucks because I have short term memory problems and I was hoping to button this thing up before I forget how to reassemble it.
 I think I need a different kickstart shaft and shifter actuator lever. The kickstart shaft needs a step for the shifter and the kickstarter. And the shifter actuator shaft is too small to fit the kickstart shaft and the wrong shape:
Pushrod

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 05:06:47 am
It's been so many years since I did my conversion but you will need the correct shift foot lever. As I remember the shift lever was about twice the diameter compared to the LS shift lever. I think you reuse your kick starter shaft and kick lever.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 05:12:02 am
If I remember correctly  I was able to use the original kick start shaft but did require a different actuator lever.
P.S. I just checked the photo for the kit on nfieldgear and there should have been a new lever included.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 05:20:22 am by mrunderhill1975a »

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 06:04:00 am
 Yeah I just came out of my garage and I realized I need the new rt shift actuator and maybe one other part. The rt shift actuator rides over the kick start shaft and protrudes thru the outer cover and the shifter slips over it. I bought the kit from Hitchcocks and the package was crushed and had a big hole in it so the actuator musta fell out before delivery. But that was four years ago so I'll just order a new one. Who do you think would be faster Nfieldgear (if they have one) or Hitchcocks? On the bright side I got all that crap out from under my bike ;D I got the left brake all hooked up and it's sweet ;D Tomorrow I'll do the bearing and bushing in the inner case and then just wait for the parts to come in. I hope I remember where all the parts go :) Thanks for the help I really do appreciate it.
Pushrod

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 01:57:11 pm
Update: Just got off the phone with Hitchcocks and ordered the two parts I was missing. They were very helpfull and said I should have them in about a week. 42 British pounds + shipping  :'(
 In removing the old left shift linkage I can see why I couldn't get it into 3rd or fourth gear, the nightmare of links were binding against the engine case.
Pushrod

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 02:45:23 pm
Hey, that is what you call an interference fit! I'm positive it was engineered that way.

2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 03:37:53 pm
LOL, yeah, all that to cure a nonexistent problem, our government at work ::)
Pushrod

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 05:26:27 am
Yeah, that new shift control arm your waitin on...there are some posts of an issue I had with mine that arrived with my kit from Hitchcocks, a minor problem that they were very prompt to correct.
  The tab that slips into the centering spring(larger one) was just too short to stay in place during shifter motion.
  Turns out that some of those shift control arms left quality control @ 11mm instead of the needed 14mm, you'll know if you have a short one if it "barely snags"  on the spring.
  You're really gonna like your bullet more when yer done with this upgrade, I know that I did. Happy Turnin.
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.