Author Topic: Bad Vibration at 60 mph  (Read 7432 times)

kjvelo

• Scooter
on: June 05, 2014, 10:45:59 pm
Hey guys,

I just bought a used 2010 C5 a couple of weeks ago.  It had about 3000 miles on it when I bought it, and I've only put about 75 miles on it so far.  The bike is in great condition (at least aesthetically), so I'd guess that the previous owner was careful about running it in properly, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Last night, I took it on the highway for the first time and took it up to 60 mph.  The handlebars were vibrating a lot at that speed (to the point that it was uncomfortable to ride, and I exited off the highway after a few mins).  I've read up on a bunch of forums on comfortable cruising speeds with the UCE engines, and it seems that most people say the C5 should be pretty good at 60-65 mph after it's been run in.

Any suggestions as to what I should start with to try and reduce vibration at highway speeds? 

One other thing to mention -- I had to get the sprag clutch replaced.  I noticed that the mechanic put 10w40 (motorcycle) oil in after replacing the sprag clutch, but the manual says to use 15w50.  Is this a concern at all?

Thanks in advance for any help.

FastDoc

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 11:02:04 pm
Welcome to the forum.

My 2011 C5 has about 1,200 miles on it.

These are thumpers for sure. Up to 55 smooth sailing. About 60 gets noticeably buzzy. 60-65 uncomfortable both for me and the bike.

Interestingly, I did a top speed run 2 days ago (85 MPH on the GPS and speedometer) and it smooths out above 75. Obviously a person could not cruise in that range, just worth mentioning.
Happily riding in the southeast Washington desert
Bikes owned:

2004 Ducati ST4S-ABS
2007 Honda Gold Wing 1800
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S Dualsport
1998 Yamaha YZ400F racebike converted to Dualsport
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

Other stuff:

2002 Maule airplane
1996 Corvette
1992 Ranger 4X4

FastDoc

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:03:55 pm
Also check your chain, motor mounts, bar end weights, and spark plug condition. Dont' forget to check your fillings. My first ride on my bike I took it home from Portland, 300 miles. I'm sure I lost a few fillings.
Happily riding in the southeast Washington desert
Bikes owned:

2004 Ducati ST4S-ABS
2007 Honda Gold Wing 1800
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S Dualsport
1998 Yamaha YZ400F racebike converted to Dualsport
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

Other stuff:

2002 Maule airplane
1996 Corvette
1992 Ranger 4X4

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 01:07:19 am
He's got a 2010 - is this vibration, or a case of the high-speed wobbles some of these bikes suffered from?

If the latter, this becomes a different conversation...

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 03:29:01 am
The 2010 still had the 18" front wheel... right? Or did that nonsense stop in 2009?

I've got a 2012, and she's got somewhere north of 3,800 miles on her now, and she's smooth as silk at those speeds.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 05:09:36 am
Hey guys,

I just bought a used 2010 C5 a couple of weeks ago.  It had about 3000 miles on it when I bought it, and I've only put about 75 miles on it so far.  The bike is in great condition (at least aesthetically), so I'd guess that the previous owner was careful about running it in properly, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Last night, I took it on the highway for the first time and took it up to 60 mph.  The handlebars were vibrating a lot at that speed (to the point that it was uncomfortable to ride, and I exited off the highway after a few mins).  I've read up on a bunch of forums on comfortable cruising speeds with the UCE engines, and it seems that most people say the C5 should be pretty good at 60-65 mph after it's been run in.

Any suggestions as to what I should start with to try and reduce vibration at highway speeds? 

One other thing to mention -- I had to get the sprag clutch replaced.  I noticed that the mechanic put 10w40 (motorcycle) oil in after replacing the sprag clutch, but the manual says to use 15w50.  Is this a concern at all?

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you are describing a weave or wobble at higher speed, as opposed to buzzy handle bars from vibration.  Check your tire pressure first...  It should be set at 18 psi front, and 24 psi rear.  This is for the AVON roadriders on that bike, which you probably have.   And I wouldn't sweat the 10-40 oil.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

kjvelo

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 05:26:09 am
Thanks for all the input.  To be honest, I'm not sure if it's wobble or just handlebar vibration.

Guess I'll give all of your suggestions a try and see if things get better.

For the tire pressure, the manual says front at 18 psi, rear at 28 psi (though I know there are a lot of different views out there on ideal pressure).  Would you say that I'd be better off at 24 psi for the rear?

Thanks.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 05:47:23 am
 The 24 psi rear works for me. But you can fine tune the pressures for you depending on weight and etc. But on that bike, I would stay in that neighborhood as far as those pressures go with those tires.   Try not to go too high on pressure.

An oldie but a goodie.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3OQTU-kE2s
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 12:22:54 pm
I run 22psi in front and 28psi in the rear and my bike seems to like it there.  Rides nice and smooth.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 02:30:07 pm
A wobble would have the bike weaving back and forth uncontrollably.  You would not miss it. 

Scott

jkrobin

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 04:29:52 pm
On my 2012 C5, the biggest effect on high-speed stability was achieved by having the fork oil changed. It turned out that not only is the fork oil used in production a bit of lesser quality, but the amounts put into the two forks were wildly uneven. Better oil and making sure both were at the same level made a very nice difference.

Then again, kjvelo, I think you do have the smaller wheel and the 'offset' fork/axle connection to the wheel. They straightened that connection in later models (mid-2012, I think), I believe to address some stability concerns with the old design.
2012 C5 Chrome (Black)
Charlottesville, Virginia

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 04:55:29 pm
Could be that your tires are either out of balance, or out of round.  If the bike sat for a long time, the tire may be a bit out of shape.  This was the case for me after putting on new tires and letting it sit for too long.  I had a terrible bounce at speed.  As suggested by a member here, I overfilled the tires a little and put some miles on it.  When I reset the pressure to normal, the bounce was gone.

Getting them balanced could take care of business.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 05:08:14 pm
The bikes peak vibration mode with stock gearing is about 62 mph. Put a 19 tooth gearbox sprocket will move the vibration range higher and it should somewhat smoother. It sounds to me like you're just having a vibration problem.
It doesn't really sound like the front end weave that had been a problem with some of the C5s.
The 19" front wheel along with the inline axle fork change didn't go on the C5s until mid 2012.
As for changing the fork oil, that should've been tended to years ago but probably hasn't. Get some real fork oil, I used 10W, and the improvement in the ride was amazing! The sludge that comes in the forks is incredibly bad.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

kjvelo

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 10:29:00 pm
Thanks everyone.

Based on that video posted by gashousegorilla, it's definitely not wobble, but just bad vibration.

I'll start off with the tire pressure, and will also change the fork oil.  Does anyone know where I can find a video/tutorial for changing the fork oil? Tried searching for one but haven't had any luck.  Thanks.

kjvelo

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 10:33:37 pm
Never mind -- found one.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 11:01:59 pm
Make sure the video you found is for a C5.

The G5 (gee-five) has a different front fork and it is very simple to remove the plugs to drain and remove the top plugs to refill.

The C5 (cee-five) front fork is a real PITA to change the oil in.
The C5 forks must be totally removed from the motorcycle.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 12:19:23 am

........The C5 (cee-five) front fork is a real PITA to change the oil in.
The C5 forks must be totally removed from the motorcycle.

Really?! What the hell is up with that?    ???

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 12:25:42 am
Ducati Scotty's most excellent C5 fork tutorial:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10813.0/all.html

Read 'em and weep (for us), Scottie J...  ;)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 03:26:02 am
Vibration can come from the engine or the wheels. Try riding at 60-65 in your vibration zone, pull the clutch and idle the engine. Does the vibration stop? Then it was the engine. Vibration continues? Check the wheels/tires. If it is the engine, my 2010 had a broken upper motor mount, called a head steady. The replacement was a beefier design. You may have the original. If the mounts are ok there is a trick that involves loosening the mounts a bit and running the engine to let it find its happy place then re-torquing them.

kjvelo

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 09:27:19 pm
Thanks olhogrider. Looks like the head steady is the problem. Mine has totally snapped off! Only a small piece of it left around the bolt on the cylinder head.

I'm getting a new one ordered, but it's not coming in till Thursday. I've got to do my second licensing road test on Thurs morning though (I live in Canada and we have to do 2 road tests to get a full license), which will mean driving on the highway at 60-65 mph (both to get to the testing centre and during the test).  You guys think there's any concern about driving on the highway without the head steady (either safety concerns or doing damage to the bike)?

Thanks.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 10:10:06 pm
I'd think the forward and maybe rear mounts might do better without the additional stress.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 10:58:07 pm
Post a pic so we can see what/where it exactly broke.

kjvelo

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 08:21:37 pm
Here's a pic. As you can see, the head steady has totally snapped off with only a small piece left around the cylinder head bolt.

Would appreciate any thoughts as to whether it's still okay to drive at highway speeds until I get it replaced. Thanks.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 08:26:34 pm
Here's a pic. As you can see, the head steady has totally snapped off with only a small piece left around the cylinder head bolt.

Would appreciate any thoughts as to whether it's still okay to drive at highway speeds until I get it replaced. Thanks.
I wouldn't drive without that on there.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 08:30:36 pm
I think you might be OK for your testing purposes if it will be a PITA to reschedule your testing, but I wouldn't ride it any more than necessary until the new bracket shows up.  With the extra vibrations from the bracket being broken, it may cause the other head steady to fail from the excessive vibrations.  But maybe not.  My thought is that engine mounts are there for a reason and they DO decrease the amount of vibration you will feel, and it's never a good idea to continue riding with any broken engine part like nothing is out of the norm.

Scottie J

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 12:20:39 am
You can make Ames bracket from bar stock steel from the local hardware store.  Cut, drill, paint, and you're back in business.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 12:57:07 am
Being a single cylinder, there's only one head steady.
With it broken, the engine is going to shake back and forth a lot at all speeds so I would be hesitant to ride it as it is unless I had no choice.
If I had to ride it I would try to take routes that would keep the engine speed away from the area where vibration is really bad.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

sparklow

• Bulleteer
  • Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing ...
Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 02:23:20 am
The good news is that once that is fixed you should be fine at 65 mph. My 2011 B5 is good at that speed. I don't know that I'd ride all day at this clip, but vibration is not excessive at speed.
2022 Meteor Fireball Red
2011 B5 Bullet

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 05:11:21 pm
You can make Ames bracket from bar stock steel from the local hardware store.  Cut, drill, paint, and you're back in business.

Scott
My head steady broke about a month ago .... I made one from scratch from Bar stock steel..cost 5 bucks for the steel.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011