Author Topic: Bullet update  (Read 1036 times)

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 04, 2014, 06:27:58 pm
I just passed 26000 miles on my stock  '99 bullet, and was losing power above 40 mph.  I thought I may need to order a fireball kit but decided to clean the muffler first.  I let a weak solution of NaOH "Zep" cleaning solution set in there over night and was surprised at what difference a decoked muffler makes in performance.  I am using about 1ml of oil per mile and presumably, the oil is coking up the muffler. I suppose the rings could be coked up and letting more oil past the rings.   I will wait a few more months before I order the Ace kit.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 07:22:09 pm
I just passed 26000 miles on my stock  '99 bullet, and was losing power above 40 mph.  I thought I may need to order a fireball kit but decided to clean the muffler first.  I let a weak solution of NaOH "Zep" cleaning solution set in there over night and was surprised at what difference a decoked muffler makes in performance.  I am using about 1ml of oil per mile and presumably, the oil is coking up the muffler. I suppose the rings could be coked up and letting more oil past the rings.   I will wait a few more months before I order the Ace kit.

Autumn or early winter months is the best time to do the Ace kit.
It takes about 2-3 months to complete the Ace head at Mondello's. So, there is some time involved. During that time waiting for the head and barrel work to be done, the bottom end usually gets done, so that it's ready for the head and barrel when they are done.
First thing to do is get the head in to us, as soon as you are ready.

You have done very well to get that many miles out of a stock Bullet. They normally don't last that long.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 01:34:08 am

...........You have done very well to get that many miles out of a stock Bullet. They normally don't last that long.

Really!  26K is impressive!  I'm sure the rings are worn out by now and is where the oil consumption is coming from, possibly very bad valve seals.  If you're not already, now would be a good time to start using 20W50 oil, it will help restore the lost compression and slow down the oil consumption.  Also STP or Lucas oil additive is a good idea to start using when miles are getting that high and you are noticing a loss in performance.  It will help squeeze all the last little bit of life out of your motor.  ;)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King