Author Topic: Jan 2008 Electra350  (Read 2307 times)

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 20, 2008, 02:52:42 pm
Pulse valve removed,
catalytic removed,
 exhaust muffler inards removed and replaced with perferated stainless steel pipe,
air filter box removed,
 pipe from air filter to carb  intake tube removed and adjustment needle closed,
 air breather pipe from pulse valve to air filter box now useless removed.

Needle on carb slide moved up one notch. Bike runs bloody great, starts first time and pulls much better.

The air filter box is an ugly thing and annoyed me from the day I bought the bike  in India. It is a horrible thing when you look at it on the floor. The removable  sludge tray on the bottom of the air box is real India quality.

I fitted a little 45mm intake filter,--  3 dollar.
 Its opened up the breathing to the point that I might raise the needle another notch as she needed a lot of choke this morning and its 30degrees here everyday.

She obviously liked  all this attention.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:56:37 pm by clamp »
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 03:13:05 pm
Took it out today for a ride ,--Yup she's weak again. Removing the filter has opened it up some more.  Im gonna have to raise the needle.

It started to rain and she got cooled off a bit,--she started to spit back once or twice.

Throttle response had a lag to it,--not a crisp response.

Never mind,--- the little English slut needs some more tweaking.  She likes a bit of attention.

I gotta say she looks good without that crap air box on. Even if I decide to go back to the air filter in the locker I will not re use the air box, just a pipe from carb to air filter.

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 03:32:52 pm
Re-jet. Pilot and main in addition to bumping the needle.

Get a few different sizes through our host-cheap. Provides infinite expirimentation and you can get the most out of performance, and it takes all of five minutes to change them out.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 02:58:09 am
Pilot is adjustable and the main dose'nt come in until full throttle, hence its other name 'metering jet'.  Who on earth would run an RE at wide open throttle?

IF--  I had a supply of jets I might go up a tad on the pilot.

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 12:48:11 pm
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 01:00:38 pm by PaulF »

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 02:39:58 am
Well I raised the needle, It runs very well now. Im not going to say its fantastic and make wild claims but it definately pulls much much better. I can overtake without dropping a gear and she pulls away nicely.

As there has been no internal modifications to the bike the volumetric efficiency of the engine has not been altered. At tick over the amount of air entering the engine has not changed and any restriction the air filter and exhaust offered is not detectable at tick over. Pilot jet is therefore unaffected.

However on opening the slide and pulling in much more air the restriction would have  made a small difference meaning the needle setting would be affected.

My previous post about the main jet not requiring attention was proved wrong last night on the road test. Riding up hill and therefore keeping a load on I opened it to full throttle, it immediately fluttered and I sensed a loss in power , reducing the throttle position caused the engine to recover.

So from this I now know the main jet could do with being bigger, but I don't have
 one.  If I have time I will see what size it is and drill it--maybe,--or just don't give it full throttle. I mean , this is the very last 1/4 inch I could live without it.

The hills I had trouble with before,--it will now accelerate up.