Author Topic: new tires  (Read 3944 times)

Khecari

• Scooter
on: June 02, 2014, 11:02:20 pm
Recommendations on new tires?  For a 2007 bullet 500.

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 03:50:43 am
Dunlop K70s
On stock sizes, brilliant and cheap and look fantastic!
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 04:07:13 am
Avon am26 "Roadrider".
There's a reason you see them on most of the vintage race bikes.
Great tires.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 04:43:22 am
I really love the Shinko 705s.  Excellent tire and a great price.  I'll be sticking with them for a long time, best dual sport tire I've ever run.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 03:08:12 pm
Avon am26 "Roadrider".
There's a reason you see them on most of the vintage race bikes.
Great tires.

+1 - Love mine too.  I also got 18k miles on them.  I am a flat lander but still.  Long life!
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 05:11:16 pm
Just bookmarking this old thread for later ready reference with my safe word "Milkbone"...

That's right, I'm looking for possible future candidates for rubber that'll do well on my old 2005 Bullet 500ES "Military" that's currently wearing tubed Avon Speedmaster Mark IIs front (3.25x19) and rear (3.50x19).  Still plenty of tread, but that'll change.  My britbikes have always had Dunlops (except for the speculative purchase of a cheapo Taiwanese Cheng Shin front for the Norton, which actually turned out perfectly fine given my sedate riding style).  I like the Avons well enough on the road, I guess. It's that last 100 or so feet over my lawn and through the back yard. Maybe it's just these interminable rains softening everything up, but unless I approach that gate with a real "go for broke" attitude, that rear tire just gets no purchase. It's an awkward slopey narrow approach.  If I stop, that rear just spins and ruts in the mud like Miss Piggy on Prom Night..."Milkbone!...MILKBONE!"

I dunno. Maybe the real solution's just to tamp in a little gravel and/or some flagstones there along that tricky slope to firm it up a tad.  Firm is good...Milkbone!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 05:13:55 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 05:43:54 pm
My Avon AM26 tires work great for the twisty two-lane roads I favor, but their narrow, rounded footprint wouldn't fare well in the dirt. The MK II Avon rears are long-wearing workhorses but the ribbed fronts are horrible on rain grooves. I'd probably try a pair of K70s for their versatility and low price.
Lurker on a Vespa

solg

• Grease Monkey
  • /Users/solgualtieri/Desktop/165532_489778052839_61
Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 05:52:09 pm
For a classic street bike look K70s. For more of a Rip Snorter go with the Avon AM26
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 12:39:57 am
At this point I'm already rather leaning towards those Dunlop K70s in time for next year's state inspection, since I plan to do lots of rural touring and camping on the Enfield...sort of a very occasional mixed surfaces thing, though perhaps not with enough muck and gravel overall to warrant those knobbier-looking dual-use Shinko 705s also mentioned here, which, though seemingly nice enough and well-regarded, just look a little too "21st Century" for my retro tastes and bike.

My first bike, an ex-police Norton Interpol 750 Commando had Dunlop TT100s (which I gather was the predecessor of their current-day K81s), and I just sort of stuck with that type as I wore them out, even on my subsequent Norton "Desert Sled" 750 N15CS (with the exception of an ultra-cheapo mail-order Taiwanese front one for a time dictated by my budget--or rather woeful lack thereof back then).  The "Sled" saw a lot of gentle non-road use out there in and around Austin, Texas, and always seemed pretty happy moving off-grid with the Dunlops.

Amongst the Norton folks, at least in Britain in the late '70s and early '80s, one was either a Dunlop or an Avon devotee.  One was led to understand in the darkest terms that one must never mix the two brands for fear of demonic intercession in the bike's handling, particularly in the wet, which, as we know, is rather a defining characteristic of motorcycling on that Sceptered Isle.  Furthermore, while Dunlops had a reputation for being harder-wearing and longer-lasting and hence belovéd of the poor or miserly, Avons had a sportier "stickier" reputation as being more suitable for your velocity-prone footpeg-draggers, still-surviving ton-up boys and other reckless live-for-today spendthrift thrillseekers.  Thing is, since one was ever replacing just one's worn-to-the-cords rear, while the front was nearly always still perfectly serviceable, once committed to one or the other brand one was pretty much stuck with it.

Accordingly, I was actually pretty happy to find my new-to-me Enfield already wearing Avons: finally a chance to give that storied brand a try at long last. I figure I've got maybe a year's semi-decent tread left on them before I really need to decide. I imagine it's also possible that by then that rounded and roadsporty Avon rear will have gouged out a lovely sort of luge track trench arcing right through my front lawn and around the side to the back yard, so I'll just be able trowel on a little cement, tuck in my chin, and make to and from that shed at speed like Bruce Wayne in the Winter Olympics.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:18:54 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 03:29:43 pm
I recently installed new K70's on the Trailblazer.  Haven't a clue how they handle tho, the engine is still in pieces.  LOL
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

voodoochild

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 07:43:44 pm
I put the Dunlop K70s on my 2007 military last winter. It's only been one riding season with them so far but I love them!
2007 500 Military 5spd

finbullet

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 04:07:09 pm
I put heidenau mfe99 mefo sport tires on my bike with inner tubes. The grip is awesome in every weather.