Author Topic: My Thunderbird won't thunder.  (Read 1246 times)

Coles89

• Scooter
on: May 25, 2014, 12:37:35 pm
Hi All

I'm a little stumped about my bike not starting and I'm just wandering whether anyone on here might have any ideas?

Its been standing around for a little while, i tried to start it this morning and to cut a long story short it wont turn over on the electric starter and it will not kick start either. I checked for a spark and sure enough there isn't one. I've had a battery charger on it and the battery is reading a little over 12 volts, pretty low i guess but i would of thought still enough to show some signs of life when asked too. With the ignition on all the other systems come on like the lights, indicators etc but nothing at all for the starting and ignition circuit, not even a click from the starter solenoid when the button is pressed so I reckon the fault must be up with the gubins where the ignition key is. I could make it turn over by shorting the solenoid but even with the ignition key on there was still no spark. :L

Not really sure how to progress but id much appreciate if someone could shine some light on the issue for me.

Cheers

Olly
2008 RE Thuderbird 350 AVL

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 01:43:37 pm
Check the obvious first, make sure your kill switch is turned on and that all of your fuses are good.  It's possible that the battery is shot and no longer putting out the juice it used to, but check those other things.  Depending on how long the bike has sat you may also need to get rid of the fuel that is in the tank and carb now, but get your spark back first.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 12:36:20 am
Coles89
Even though your battery was on a charger, a reading of only a bit over 12 volts says your battery needs to be replaced.

Your motorcycles spark is controlled by a simple computer and some computers don't work if the system voltage is too low.

Check the simple things Scottie J mentioned but I think a new battery will fix the problem.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 12:58:48 am
Check that spark plug too. I know you said you weren't getting a spark but it's so cheap to check with a new one.  I thought I wasn't getting a spark and did too many other things before humoring someone by trying it.  Sure enough... 
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM