Author Topic: The Blackhawk Cafe Project  (Read 131285 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 31, 2014, 01:30:43 pm
Well, it looks like everything is going to pan out with insurance.  I really wish I could've met with the claims adjuster yesterday but he said he would make sure to meet with me on Monday to get me a check for the insurance claim.  I'm going to be getting enough money to give the bike a full make over and replace some needed parts that have been getting neglected for awhile.  I was really pissed at this situation at first, but now it seems to be a blessing in disguise.  So far, this is what is on the agenda for the make over:

-New fork seals and springs
-New alternator & mounting bracket and rectifier
-New headlight ring and yellow H4 bulb
-New rear sets
-New Dime City "PHAT" cafe seat/fender
-New center stand and retaining spring
-New custom paint that will be even better than the first job

I'm not getting quite as much money as I had hoped for, but I'll be getting enough to replace all the major parts I need.  I still have to figure out how to afford some clip on bars and some new rear shocks too.

This is the seat pan I've decided to use as you can order it with a matching seat pad and it isn't much more than if I tried to fabricate something myself.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/legendary-motorcycles-abs-plastic-phat-cafe-racer-motorcycle-seat-pan.html

I've also been looking at these rear shocks for awhile now and I think am going to give them a try.  The price is right and they are fully tunable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281163855481?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If everything goes to plan, I'm going to be doing a BUNCH of online shopping Monday evening.  ;D

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 01:45:18 pm
Have fun!
 ;D

Seat looks good.
I don't know anything about the shocks. They look good.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 02:01:40 pm
Have fun!
 ;D

Seat looks good.
I don't know anything about the shocks. They look good.

Thanks Tom!  BTW I have a feeling the new heads are going to be going on the Blackhawk for awhile.  You know, to make sure they are working properly.  ;D  I also have an idea for the gas tank as I won't have the money for a new one for a while.  So I was thinking of taking the original, size XXXL tank and hammering in the entire side of both sides of the tank.  This will give it a unique 1-of-a-kind look and also slim it down for more handlebar clearance.  Basically, both sides of the tank will completely dished in.  I'm then going to paint the dished parts of the tank and a stripe down the center top that will be marbleized gold paint with red pin striping.  Then on the top of the tank, on one side of the center stripe will be a small gold "Indian" logo and on the other side of the top will be a small gold "Royal Enfield" logo with my "Bulldog Kustoms" logo on the sides of the tank on the gold marbleized paint.  Tom, I also want to throw a "ACE PERFORMANCE" sticker on my paint job somewhere as well.  Can you help me out with that?

Also, Tom I'm considering converting from dual exhaust to a Y-pipe single exhaust.  I have heard that a Y-pipe (or dual exhaust with a H-pipe) helps the motor perform better with a better tuned exhaust frequency.  I have also heard that this style exhaust has better scavenging properties and can help with torque.  If I do this I think I am going to use a FMF silencer like Bullet Whisperer is using on his race bikes.  What are your thoughts on doing this?  ???

Scottie J
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 02:15:31 pm by High On Octane »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 02:18:43 pm
Thanks Tom!  BTW I have a feeling the new heads are going to be going on the Blackhawk for awhile.  You know, to make sure they are working properly.  ;D  I also have an idea for the gas tank as I won't have the money for a new one for a while.  So I was thinking of taking the original, size XXXL tank and hammering in the entire side of both sides of the tank.  This will give it a unique 1-of-a-kind look and also slim it down for more handlebar clearance.  Basically, both sides of the tank will completely dished in.  I'm then going to paint the dished parts of the tank and a stripe down the center top that will be marbleized gold paint with red pin striping.  Then on the top of the tank, on one side of the center stripe will be a small gold "Indian" logo and on the other side of the top will be a small gold "Royal Enfield" logo with my "Bulldog Kustoms" logo on the sides of the tank on the gold marbleized paint.  Tom, I also want to throw a "ACE PERFORMANCE" sticker on my paint job somewhere as well.  Can you help me out with that?

Scottie J

Yes, but I'm out of stickers right now. I'll let you know when I have them.

Regarding the tank, if you look at a lot of the old racers and cafe bikes from that time period with clip-ons, they have "clearance dents" purposely formed into the forward sides of the tank, so the bars don't pinch your thumbs against the tank. You could easily hammer them in, and also hammer the rear sides in for tucking your knees in tight against the tank. Leave the area in between wide. That's the way they did it back in the day. You can look up some photos of the old cafe tanks like the Manx Sprint tank, and see examples.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 02:31:40 pm
Wow, of all the pics I just looked at I think I only saw 3 or 4 bikes with that style of tank mod,  I like it!  Also, did you see I modified that last post with another question?

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 03:35:36 pm
Wow, of all the pics I just looked at I think I only saw 3 or 4 bikes with that style of tank mod,  I like it!  Also, did you see I modified that last post with another question?

Scottie J

Yes, the Y pipe can help scavenging and power on a twin. It needs to have the right design, and since the pickings are scarce for that bike, you probably have to just hope that whoever made that siamese pipe for the twins knew what they were doing.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 01:53:18 pm
Geesh.....  I don't think I've ever wanted a weekend to be over so quickly.  LOL   ;D  Not too often one actually looks forward to a Monday, eh.

Scottie J

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 05:31:56 pm
Scottie - I've seen guys make those dents by cutting out those sections, swapping the sides that they are on, and welding them back.  It requires a little bending, I'm sure.

Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 07:40:32 pm
Scottie - I've seen guys make those dents by cutting out those sections, swapping the sides that they are on, and welding them back.  It requires a little bending, I'm sure.

Boggy

I've heard of that technique before, unfortunately I don't know how to TIG weld and that is the only way to make sure you have an air/water tight weld/seal.  I am pretty damn handy with a hammer tho.  ;)

Good news is I just received and deposited the check into my account.  Time to go shopping!!!

Scottie J

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 04:37:38 am
All parts are ordered except for the seat pan, rear shocks and clip ons.         ;D

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 01:54:28 pm
Holy effing elephant crap!  I just tried leaving for work and my stupid bank froze my account again because of my purchase from Hitchcocks.  So I came home to look at things and they charged 71 GBP for shipping and handling!!!  #$@!$&^*((^$$&     >:(    Freaking crooks!   The order just ended up costing me $100 more than anticipated.  Doesn't look like I'll be ordering the seat or shocks any time soon now.   :(    After my deductible I only got $1050, the order from H's is just shy of $800 and I spent about $175 on electrical parts yesterday.  I'm pretty much tapped out.    Shit.   :-\

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 08:13:41 pm
You think your pissed?

Just wait until your wife tries to buy some groceries at the store and they tell her she's broke. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 09:14:11 pm
Holy effing elephant crap!  I just tried leaving for work and my stupid bank froze my account again because of my purchase from Hitchcocks.  So I came home to look at things and they charged 71 GBP for shipping and handling!!!  #$@!$&^*((^$$&     >:(    Freaking crooks!   The order just ended up costing me $100 more than anticipated.  Doesn't look like I'll be ordering the seat or shocks any time soon now.   :(    After my deductible I only got $1050, the order from H's is just shy of $800 and I spent about $175 on electrical parts yesterday.  I'm pretty much tapped out.    Shit.   :-\

Thats my only hate with hitchcocks, no pre purchase shipping info :/

Also The Blackhawk Cafe would be a great cafe name... ::)
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 09:48:05 pm
You think your pissed?

Just wait until your wife tries to buy some groceries at the store and they tell her she's broke. :(

This time doesn't count.  I used insurance money.   ;D

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 01:12:45 am
Holy Smokes!  I ordered my alternator, Tympanium and headlight ring from The Bonneville Shop Monday night, they shipped it out yesterday morning and was in my mailbox when I got home today!  Too bad I can't install any of it until my mounting ring shows up from Hitchcocks.

Scottie J