Author Topic: The Blackhawk Cafe Project  (Read 133109 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #525 on: June 13, 2015, 11:01:04 am
Sorry to hear you had a bad day... you've been praising the job (and your boss?) elsewhere, so hopefully this was an isolated incident.

But never mind... great to hear how you nailed the timing!

Now...  ;D   8)

I'm still surprised how fiddly it was designed to be...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #526 on: June 13, 2015, 01:12:42 pm
Well, without getting into too many details, I basically worked on a rusted ass POS Impreza for 2 days and didn't get paid to finish putting it back together yesterday.  And I should mention, I only did this car because no one else in the shop wanted to touch it because it is such a rusted pile of crap.  That's ok, I usually show up at work around 7-7:30am in the mornings.  I think Monday I won't be showing up until 8:30-9a and I am going to work noticeably slower all day until he finally asks what my problem is.  And I'm going to tell him straight up "Why work hard when my hard work is completely ignored and unappreciated?"

And the next time I find my tools on the boss' son's tool cart, I'm going to kick him in the balls!   >:(

OK Rant over.  :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #527 on: June 13, 2015, 05:07:05 pm
I had a co-worker who seemed to think everyone's tools belonged to him, too.
I let him know I don't loan my tools to ANYONE and the next time I found any of my tools missing one of his (starting with the most expensive) would be in the trash. If he found it before day's end great. If he didn't he was SOL. He was a quick study.  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #528 on: June 13, 2015, 11:25:36 pm
HoO
Believe it or not, bosses notice things like a employee doing above average work, finishing jobs before they have to, showing up on time, getting along with other employees (expecially if the other employees  are butt holes) and other above average stuff.
They might not say it or hand out a bunch "atta boy's" but they will keep it in mind the next time a raise or a step up in job level is available.

They also remember the guy who only does the minimum required, walks around with a chip on his shoulder, comes in to work late, isn't willing to help others...

They might not say anything to that person but you can bet he/she isn't going to get raises or any job opportunities offered to them.

Oh.  They probably will get moved to first place but that's not necessarily good.
It's in the, "Who's the first person I want to fire" category.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #529 on: July 18, 2015, 01:52:12 am
In an attempt to keep myself from selling my bike, I think I'm going to disassemble the motor.  Probably save up and buy BSA rods and pistons and machine accordingly, ship the cams out to get reworked and just deal with not having the bike running for a couple years.  I don't know.   

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #530 on: July 18, 2015, 01:01:25 pm
That's a good plan. I like it.  ERC   8)
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #531 on: July 18, 2015, 06:36:11 pm
Just thinking out loud here, and you may disagree: How about spending only to make it more reliable, not fast. Its fast enough for most needs. You will hold on to it longer and enjoy it more if its more reliable.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #532 on: July 18, 2015, 07:18:21 pm
Just thinking out loud here, and you may disagree: How about spending only to make it more reliable, not fast. Its fast enough for most needs. You will hold on to it longer and enjoy it more if its more reliable.

Because I've seen what the stock rods do to the engine cases.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #533 on: July 18, 2015, 10:05:13 pm
In an attempt to keep myself from selling my bike, I think I'm going to disassemble the motor.  Probably save up and buy BSA rods and pistons and machine accordingly, ship the cams out to get reworked and just deal with not having the bike running for a couple years.  I don't know.

This is a good solid plan you have Scottie. You would have problems selling your bike as is and would take a loss. The other problem is that it is your bike, custom made to your likes which makes it more difficult to sell than if it was in stock form. If you can, take your time and fix it correctly and keep it forever. It may be a vehicle you kick yourself for selling down the road.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #534 on: July 18, 2015, 10:48:22 pm
Thanks for the encouragement guys.  :)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #535 on: July 19, 2015, 12:01:18 am
Yes, some bikes are 'keepers' and I have a few. Here is a 1958 Tiger Cub I bought in 1977 for £50 when I was 12 years old. Here it is, coming off the shelf in the workshop, to go on the road legally for the first time in all that time, for my 50th. Another picture shows her looking pretty and ready to go. Hang in there, Scottie, if she's special to you ...
 B.W.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #536 on: July 19, 2015, 12:56:28 pm
+1 to Blltrdr.

You've got too much sweat equity invested in that bike, and you'd probably be very hard pressed to find a buyer who would appreciate the fruits of your labor the way you do.  Don't sell it unless you have absolutely no other choice...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #537 on: July 20, 2015, 05:48:57 pm
Scottie - in case you need more convincing... there's a thread in the Conti section right now (I'm sure you've seen it) with guys lamenting about their old bikes they loved, but they're long gone and they wish they had them back.

Don't become a statistic!  ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #538 on: October 11, 2015, 01:05:48 pm
Looks like the Blackhawk is going to a new home this week.  Kind of bitter sweet.  It will be nice being able to take care of some debt, but I will miss it.  Good news is that I'm selling it to a very good friend and it will be in a better home now.  Also looks like I'll be tearing the motor down this winter too to rebuild it and take care of the things I didn't have the money to do.  I'll try and talk my friend into joining the forum here so the bike stays in the community.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #539 on: October 11, 2015, 02:35:57 pm
Bummer, but in a way the least bummer-ish way to lose a bike.

(Pretend you can't work on anymore it for your buddy anymore once you have enough scratch to buy it back from him cheap...  :) )