Author Topic: The Blackhawk Cafe Project  (Read 131290 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #45 on: November 23, 2014, 08:52:02 pm
Changing rod length will not affect the stroke length of the engine. That can only be done by changing the crankshaft.
However, how high up the piston will come in the bore will be affected, and you will need to adjust the barrel height to suit a different rod length.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: November 23, 2014, 10:04:00 pm
Scottie if I remember correctly you will have to be careful turning the crank down if you have to cut to much the crank will be soft.  ERC

The crank is only going to be turned down -.005 and then balanced and plasma-nitride treated.  I will have the rods machined to match the crank so nothing more than necessary will be removed from the crank.

$200 extra doesn't seem like that much more to pay for the forged set. If you can, I would budget for this set. I see they have a T120 forged sets for $299. Why couldn't you use that set Scottie?

I guess I had looked over that set before.  I just may end up spending the little extra for them, as you say, that is only another $200.

Changing rod length will not affect the stroke length of the engine. That can only be done by changing the crankshaft.
However, how high up the piston will come in the bore will be affected, and you will need to adjust the barrel height to suit a different rod length.

Duly noted on the stroke.  And I had taken into consideration the need to machine the barrels.  My thought was to get all the parts and have the crank done and cylinders bored and pre-assemble everything with clay on the piston tops to check to see what clearance I have and then machine or shim accordingly.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: November 24, 2014, 10:42:43 pm
Ace -  What lobe profiles for the cam would you recommend if I have then custom ground?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: November 26, 2014, 06:29:29 pm
Started reshaping the tank last night.  WAY more Bondo on the tank than what I spread on it.  Every whack of the hammer a chunk of mud just fell out.  It actually made it difficult too pound because when I'd strike it it wasn't exactly where I wanted because the Bondo was covering an already existing dent.  Should still look good when I'm done.  I think I'm going to order more metal flake and use a larger flake in conjunction with a gold pearl this time.  Should come out extra sexy.  Also, I'm going to do an "8 Ball" design on this job.  It will be a true cafe racer all said and done.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 06:32:26 pm by High On Octane »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: November 26, 2014, 06:33:35 pm
Also, I'll have to get some clip on or clubman bars because I'm not feeling the super bike bars inverted.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: November 26, 2014, 11:23:40 pm
Glad to see your back working on the bike instead of selling everything.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: November 26, 2014, 11:30:36 pm
Ace -  What lobe profiles for the cam would you recommend if I have then custom ground?

What rpm range are you targeting?
I would look at a similar thing to the R cams from the Interceptor. That seems to be a good pair. Don't over-do what the valve springs can handle. You have to consider all the stuff in the valve train.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: November 27, 2014, 12:22:07 am
What rpm range are you targeting?
I would look at a similar thing to the R cams from the Interceptor. That seems to be a good pair. Don't over-do what the valve springs can handle. You have to consider all the stuff in the valve train.

I'd like to shift between 6500-6800 if that is possible.

Man, my tank is looking good!   ;D

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: November 27, 2014, 01:01:47 am
Last coat of mud, almost ready for primer!  :D

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: November 27, 2014, 04:36:19 am
I didn't quite make it to primer.  After 4 straight hours of aggressive sanding my arms gave out and started cramping.  But, this is what it looks like so far.

I realize the sides aren't completely symmetrical but the left side was beat up really bad and it didn't shape the way I wanted it too.  The right side came out perfect tho.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: November 27, 2014, 04:41:08 am
Looks great!

I think the Interceptor R Cam type profile and a fresh set of Interceptor valve springs should work for that.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: November 27, 2014, 06:14:25 am
Ace - Doing some late night browsing and was thinking about about how Mikuni doesn't make a TM30.  So I went onto Amazon to look at the VM30 and realized I can buy TWO VM30's for $30 cheaper than I can buy ONE Amal 930.  I assume the Mikuni VM30 has got to be a better carb than the Amal 930.  Thoughts?

Also, the Interceptor valves and springs are the same as the Constellation and Super Meteor.  So I may just have to fork out a bit more for the beehive springs if we can make them them work with the stock valves.  If they are too much, I'll just order a set of new OE springs.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:22:12 am by High On Octane »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: November 27, 2014, 11:33:29 am
Ace - Doing some late night browsing and was thinking about about how Mikuni doesn't make a TM30.  So I went onto Amazon to look at the VM30 and realized I can buy TWO VM30's for $30 cheaper than I can buy ONE Amal 930.  I assume the Mikuni VM30 has got to be a better carb than the Amal 930.  Thoughts?

Also, the Interceptor valves and springs are the same as the Constellation and Super Meteor.  So I may just have to fork out a bit more for the beehive springs if we can make them them work with the stock valves.  If they are too much, I'll just order a set of new OE springs.
VM30 carbs are fine. The disign actually was licensed from Amal originally, but I think Mikuni did a better job with it. And the Mikuni is always way cheaper than Amal. So that would be the way to go IMO.

The beehives will not be compatible with the stock valves or stock head in that bike. Much cheaper to buy OEM. That bike should do 6500rpm+ on the stock parts. The Interceptor was rated at 6500 rpm on specs I have seen.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: November 27, 2014, 02:02:50 pm
Ok great!  As long as I can easily hit 6500-6800 without running into valve bounce I think that should work just fine for now.  Besides, even new OE springs will be better than the 56 year old pieces of metal in there now, right?  ;)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: November 27, 2014, 03:27:40 pm
Yes, springs lose their tension/pressure with use. Newer springs have the advantage of better manufacturing, and they will be fresh. Valve springs should be changed periodically. They don't last forever.
Typically, a valve spring will lose about 10% of its pressure within the first few hours of use, and then settle in for the long haul at about 90%.
Most performance enthusiasts with high revving engines will change valve springs at least once per year. Regular motorists don'need to do that because they aren't pushing the springs to the limit.