Author Topic: The Blackhawk Cafe Project  (Read 131393 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 05:37:30 pm
I'm going to have find a new bank/credit union.  On top of all the BS fees they already hit me with, I discovered this morning that they are now charging me $7.89 for "international fees".  I called them and at first the guy is like "oh, we didn't charge you that visa did"  then his story changed to "well you should've been charged for those other transactions from the past but there was a glitch in the computer system".  I literally told him that they can kiss my ass and I'm not giving then any more of my hard earned money.  Why are businesses, particularity government run businesses so freaking greedy these days.  It makes me sick.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 05:53:16 pm
Who did you call about the $7.89?  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 06:01:23 pm
My credit union, they are the ones who charged it.  I've never been charged before on any international orders......

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 02:01:05 am
I can't believe it!  I just got home with dinner and I saw a parcel note on the table from USPS.  My parts from Hitchcocks are already here!    :o    ???   ;D

Looks like I'm going to be wrenching on the bike tomorrow.  ;D

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 03:48:09 am
After looking at the notice the post office left I saw that the package is marked Priority Mail Express.  I don't feel quite so bad now about spending $120 on shipping, it looks like I got my moneys worth.  3 days from England to Denver.  I have noticed that living in an international city, my packages generally arrive within 5 days time no matter where it's coming from.  :D  A lot of stuff that I buy on Ebay stateside shows up in 2-3 days from order.  Except Hitchcocks if I order without tracking.  Last 2 orders without tracking both took 2 1/2 weeks.   :-\  Anyways, I'm happy and excited to get this project rolling tomorrow!    ;D

Scottie J

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 03:40:10 pm
Alright!  Party Time!

I grabbed my parts this morning from the post office.  Everything was there and all looks good.  I'm excited to not only have the electrical issues fixed once and for all, but I'm SUPER excited to fit these rear sets!  I've been eyeballing them for over a year and I finally had an opportunity to buy them without emptying my wallet and having to listen to wife say "Why do you spend all of your money on your bike?"  ;D

OK, I have some work to do!  Will report back later today.  Quick question tho....  The neutral finder will still work with the rear sets correct?  I would just need to remove my foot from the peg to use it, right?  I ask because I see that the rear set kit came with a neutral finder blanking kit, but I really enjoy using the neutral finder........     ???

Scottie J

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 04:07:34 pm
Congrats! Also, Wow, after having recently done my own alternator, that one looks puny!  I didn't realize the ES versions were so much bigger than the KS.

Have fun!
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 04:27:34 pm
I always love the way they pack them with newspaper instead of those shitty bubbles that stick to everything.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 09:26:39 pm
What a PITA. Got started by removing the primary cover and discovered that the tensioner had completely removed itself and it was in fact what I was hearing/feeling clank off of the primary cover so I'm glad I didn't ride it anymore.  Problem is that when it fell out it ripped out all of the threads too so I had to get an oversized bolt (M10x1.25) a new tap and a couple of new drill bits.  Got it all to work but not without making 4 different trips and putting 25 miles on my car driving around in a 3 mile radius from my apartment.     :-\  Then I couldn't for the life of me get the alternator to line up properly even after drilling out the mounting holes.  I was seriously ready to say screw it for the day when on the last fastening of the nuts I finally got the feeler gauge to go all the way around the rotor.    :P  My back is pretty angry at me so I'm taking a short break.  Then I'll be going back out to install the rear sets.  :)

Scottie J

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: June 07, 2014, 11:50:48 pm
Why can't anything be easy?  "Install brake light switch/pedal stop bracket into the threaded hole just behind the tapered hole with the 1/2" bolt."  Yeah my frame doesn't have that threaded hole, not does the supplied brake rod fit.  I used the old brake rod but I'm going to have to do some custom fab to make a brake stop or make the new one work.    :-\

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 01:15:53 am
Holy crap, my back is not happy, and I'm out of herb.  It's making it difficult to focus on this damn project when I feel like I have an elephant standing on the small of my back.    :'(

Anyways, I was able to make the brake lever stop by using the original lever stop hole and bolt and added a piece of flat metal to the bolt hole and stuck a piece of rubber hose over the metal.  Crude but functional until I can figure out what I really want to do.  I will just use the existing brake light switch for now until remedied.  Installed the right side controls too.  Turns out it is necessary to remove the neutral finder as it is in the way of the shifter linkage.  Seems like it is adjusted correctly and working as it shifts in and out of 1st gear with ease (motor not running, waiting for silicone and loctite to dry inside the primary before I fill it).  Just need to throw the exhaust back on and then all I have left is the center stand and fork springs.  But I think I will take my bike into work and do that in the shop.  I'm thinking of just wrapping some straps around the bike and hoisting it in the air with the overhead lift.  That should make it super easy to do the center stand and also make it easy to remove the front end to do the  fork springs and seals.  I'll post all of the pics once I'm completely done.  OK, going back at it again!    :D

Scottie J

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 01:19:58 am
OH!!!  Annnnnd  Hitchcocks totally neglects to tell you on the website or ordering process that the "cafe racer side stand is needed for the engine/frame mount bolt to fasten tightly and correctly."  I wish I had known that before I ordered, I would have ordered a new side stand instead of a center stand for the same price.  I ended up making ANOTHER trip to Ace Hardware and bought some machine bushes and cannibalized a 13mm deep socket for spacers and bushings.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 12:54:44 pm
OK, here's the Pics as promised.   :)

I was about to start working on my bike in my car port when I started thinking "Man, I know this is going to be a big project and I KNOW I'm going to be making at least 1 trip to the store."  Bottom line, I didn't trust my tools just chilling around my car port for anyone to take willy nilly the second I turn my back.  So I moved my garage to the front door!  The look on my wife's face when she got home from work was priceless!  Her face said "What the hell are you doing with your motorcycle torn apart on the front door step" combined with "Well, this is shocking, yet some how doesn't surprise me."  And then when I explained why I had the bike there she actually said "Well, that makes sense.  See?!  Sometimes you just have to make the best out of what you have."  It's weird when shes nice to me while I'm working on the bike.  ;D

Next, the primary situation.  Like I said yesterday, I pulled the cover and the tensioner damn near flopped to the ground.

Mid-Chaos, this is what the wife came home too.  ;D

OH, and I removed this lovely gem from the foot rest/motor mount bar that runs underneath.  Glad they send a new 1 with the kit.

Right side rear set installed

Left rear set installed.  You can see by the arrow how I made a lever stop by taking a piece of flat metal with a piece of rubber hose around it and mounted it to the original lever stop mounting hole.

And just before the sun went down for the day.

Scottie J
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:57:02 pm by High On Octane »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 01:04:49 pm
Looks good!

I guess the neutral finder was in the way, huh?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 01:12:57 pm
Yep, it sure was.  The shift linkage rides right over the top of where the N finder goes.  Seems to shift pretty well without the motor running, and I don't believe the clutch is dragging at all now, so I should be OK.  The last few rides I was out I was figuring out the perfect technique for down shifting manually.  I had been having lots of problems before where I would go to downshift and go into a horrible loop of false neutrals where it would take several attempts to find ANY gear.  I think I finally got the clutch adjusted correctly and figured out the loving touch and pretty much eliminated that problem.  Looks like I'll be rumbling up to every stop light now instead of kicking the NF and cruising up to the light all cool and casual.   ;D

Scottie J