Author Topic: Dirt riding tips?  (Read 4789 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 10:34:32 pm
I don't know your age, but if you are just beginning, you should get a small beater and make all your mistakes on that.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Philatawgrapher

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 11:02:02 pm
My first bike was a KLR 650. Probably ill-advisedly, I rode it for 500 miles, did the first service, then promptly rode another 300 miles out to State College where I met up with 30 other KLR riders who spent a couple of days carving up the state forest trails. I fell a half dozen times, squished an ankle on a river crossing, and learned more about riding dirt trails than I could have on my own in five years.

The biggest lessons I learned were: 1) low tire pressure; 2) stand on the pegs; 3) second gear is your friend because it's fast enough to stay up, but slow enough to let you avoid something bad; 4) a dirt helmet is far better than an Arai street helmet; 5) you can manage a hell of a lot more than you're likely to give yourself credit for.

The classic book is Riding the Dirt, which has some great tips. It's not in print anymore, but can be found. (http://amzn.to/UumhrB)

Have fun!

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 12:11:56 am
You guys need to go over to Palomar and ride up the Nate Harrison Grade.

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to ride up Palomar Mountain either, but everyone who talks to me about bikes here in North County mentions it.  From what I hear about how many riders go there, I imagine there has to be cops from top to bottom?  DeLuz, on the other hand, is a ghost town.

I don't know your age, but if you are just beginning, you should get a small beater and make all your mistakes on that.

Young enough to still try stupid things and old enough where it takes way too long to heal.  I'm with you though... I really want a TW200 as a "guest" bike.  You know... for, um, guests.

... dirt helmet is far better than an Arai street helmet.

The classic book is Riding the Dirt, which has some great tips. It's not in print anymore, but can be found. (http://amzn.to/UumhrB)

I've heard of that book... Saw it was out of print.  Seems like a shame.  Has to be a .pdf floating around somewhere.  Why do you mention the helmet?  Just the right gear for the right circumstance?  More visibility in a dirt lid?  Goggles option better?  I'll take any reason you can give me to shop for a new lid.  ;)
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 01:12:01 am

Why do you mention the helmet?  Just the right gear for the right circumstance?  More visibility in a dirt lid?  Goggles option better?  I'll take any reason you can give me to shop for a new lid.  ;)

I've ridden with several types of different helmets in the dirt, but I think what Philatawgrapher is trying to say is that a dirt helmet is little less intrusive than a full face street helmet.  Tho, these days they now make hybrid full face "dual sport" helmets that are the best of both worlds.  Full face protection with the style, comfort and weight of a dirt helmet.  Very popular in the adventure rider scene.  I've been torn between one of these or a vintage style 3/4 helmet.

http://www.bikebandit.com/shoei-hornet-ds-dual-sport-motorcycle-helmet

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 01:23:55 am
+1 Octane, also the dirt specific helmets have the extended visor that is very handy keeping branches out of your face. Just quick nod does it.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Philatawgrapher

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 03:05:48 am
Why do you mention the helmet? 

I didn't have an off road gear when I went, so I rode with what I had. Riding the dirt is filthy, hot, sweaty work. Companions kick up all kinds of muck, mud, and debris, and nearly all of it goes in your face at some point. If you have a street shield down, you can't breathe. If you have it up, you can't see. Either way, it's going to be soaked in sweat and dust and the last thing you want to put in your dishwasher for a cleaning is a $500 Arai. (Oddly enough, the glue on the pads isn't very durable when you add a flood of water!)

For me, an off road helmet can be cheap. The speeds on the trail are slow enough that any knock on my head, even against a rock, will be addressed by it. What it gives me is room for goggles, room for air, and a clear conscience not to run it through the dishwasher because it has an assigned place in my life.

I opted for separate road and dirt helmets. I just don't enjoy sticking my head in a sweat and dust encrusted lid unless I know it's just going to get sweatier and dustier, so the dual-purpose ones seem pointless to me.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 09:38:49 am
I was going to ride up Palomar today but on the way I got sidetracked. Decided to ride out to the Salton Sea via Anza Borego. I posted in the UCE section but here's the link to a shot video I took. http://vimeo.com/user4872598

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 11:44:33 pm
Somehow, going up a mountain to cooler air sounds like a lot more fun than going down into the low desert with all of its heat right now.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 01:46:37 am
Yeah, the heat was bad but the blowing, drifting sand was the worst. At least this time I was wearing my full face. Only exposed skin was my neck. Not like Angeles Crest last week. Open face helmet when I encountered a swarm of bees. Probably hit 100 of them. :o

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 07:00:15 pm
Yeah, I haven't had a chance to ride up Palomar Mountain either, but everyone who talks to me about bikes here in North County mentions it.  From what I hear about how many riders go there, I imagine there has to be cops from top to bottom?  DeLuz, on the other hand, is a ghost town.

There are three roads from the 76 that go up to Palomar, or at least to Mother's, a kinda of Vegan restaurant where the three roads intersect. There is one road past that that goes up to the Observatory
The aforementioned Nat Harrison Grade is the western dirt one. can be steep and fairly tight. It's about 7 miles in the dirt and about 3 of not great pavement. The South grade is the middle one, fairly short, about 7 miles, fairly steep and is very tight, the East Grade is the longest one and made up of medium to fast sweepers in about 12 miles. Not as steep as the South Grade. The South and East grades are nicely paved and maintained. All of them are great fun. It's about 5000' at Mothers.
The cops do run there on weekends. They have a lot of squids to pick up. Usually, during the week, traffic is very light. It's about 5000' at Mothers.
Back in the '90s there were several San Diego groups that essentially lived there racing, literally,up and down the mountain. The traffic was really heavy, but cops, and a dwindling interest in sportbikes have cut the crowds, but it still draws a lot of people on weekends.
DiLuz is totally different riding. Deluz itself is about 17 miles from Fallbrook to Carancho, where I usually turn off. DeLuz goes for a couple of more miles up to Rancho California. It's generally well maintained, with a few rough spots when you get into Riverside County. From Fallbrook, it climbs up some foot hills on a medium twisty open road then starts back down into a nicely wooded section the tightens up as it follows a creek bed in the bottom of the valley. It's a beautiful ride down there and there are a few spots where if it's been raining, the water passes over the road and can get mossy in a wet year. It's been fairly clean the last few years. Then it climbs up out of the valley and trees onto the end. the valley is a big farming area for oranges and avocados and there are some beautiful houses down there on the other roads  that twist down among the orchards. It's easy to do 50-100 miles down there without repeating your tracks if you familiar with the area. There are some dead ends and there are some dirt roads to throw in the mix. It's a great place to ride and even on weekends the traffic isn't too bad. It's one of those spots that if you don't know about it, you're not likely to accidentally stumble into it. It's generally not even particularly well mapped.
Bare

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:03:03 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 07:29:59 pm
10-4 on the dirt riding gear.  I didn't even think of following another rider kicking up dust.

We went up South Grade and down Nate Harrison this weekend in the 4Runner.  I'm impressed you took the Guzzi up Harrison, Bare!  Hiked some trails up there - beautiful.  Felt good to be in a forest again, after all this desert scenery.  I'll be getting some tires on the DRZ before I try going up Nate Harrison.

We went up the South Grade and saw a few guys scream by with their knees down.  Not too much room for error there unless you are packing a parachute.

I have so much fun riding DeLuz.  Like you said, even on weekends I'll only see a few other humans on that entire road.  Starting to get the idea of where the sandy bits are, as the canyon wall erodes.  Can't wait to try the Enfield out there. 
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 10:31:00 pm
Not too much room for error there unless you are packing a parachute.

There have been quite a few who wished they had one! Fortunately I haven't been one of them!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 06:43:53 am
I feel more at home on dirt and gravel roads. Asphalt does hurt... I have learned. Asphalt has many dangerous drivers . I say all this , because I consider real street riders as bad a$$es..so dirt should be easy.

A good way to learn to ride in dirt, is to follow a dirt you trust, .... Monkey see , monkey do.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)