Author Topic: New sound that doesn't sound good  (Read 5302 times)

hogdad

• Scooter
  • 2012 C5 Military Special
Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 02:18:34 pm

I'm curious to have someone identify what that ring is.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2009 H-D Road Glide FLTR
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2000 H-D Electra Glide
1980 H-D FXS Low Rider
1979 H-D XLS Roadster
1978 Triumph Bonneville
1969 BSA Lightning
1966 BSA Lightning

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 02:49:50 pm
That could be the source of the noise but probably not.  Fluids tend to dampen out any vibration that a small part would make.

Whatever is causing the noise, it sounds like something a piece of thin sheet metal would make if it was lightly vibrating against something.  With that high of a pitch it isn't likely to be something large like a mud guard although the brackets on the fuel tank are small enough to buzz that fast.  Maybe something in the horn?

I don't think it's anything coming from inside the engine.  Usually engine buzzes are directly related to the engine speed and change as the engine speed changes.

As for the metal ring, if the filler neck on the tank is secure it might be something that was a part of the fuel pump.  Maybe something that holds the fuel filter in place?
Call up your dealer and tell him or his mechanic what you've found.
They should know if it is something that needs to be repaired.

He said he was around a half tank and on the side stand, if that metal ring was sitting towards the top-front of the center hump of the tank, it would be very possible that only part of that ring was exposed from the fuel which would explain why it is such a low pitched vibration.  I also agree that it cannot be inside of the motor as the pitch is not consistent with engine speed.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 06:00:35 pm
The things I have found that Rattle on my bike. 

1. The little flap that covers the keyhole on my gas cap.
2. The heatshield on my exhaust.
3. The center stand pivot bar thing. (only after removing center stand)
4. My headlight.  The headlight rests in a "bowl".  That bowl is pressed via springs and screws against three "fingers".  I solved this rattle by using some cut up inner tube as dampeners between "bowl" and "fingers".
5. Everything else.

That last one is a joke.

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

Philatawgrapher

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 07:47:57 pm
I should have provided more detail about that ring of metal.

So, the bike was on its side stand. I think the low fuel caused more sloshing when I pushed the bike upright, providing less cushion to the ring when it moved. I usually use the center stand, so that may be why I never heard it before when moving the bike. (There's enough room front to back that the ring wouldn't hit the sidewalls of the tank when getting the bike on and off the center stand, but lateral motion made it strike the side of the tank.)

When I moved the bike upright, I heard metal clanking in the tank. I moved the bike sideways a few more times to make sure it was coming from the tank, and it was clear it was. I popped the cap and peered in with a flashlight. The ring was sitting in the right front lobe of the tank. It looked odd, but I assumed it could be a baffle or maybe some protective piece for some sensor and at first ignored it. I didn't see anything else in any other part of the tank (though the view inside from the filler is obviously limited), so I wiggled the bike while looking to see what moved. The ring immediately slid back, so I knew it was unattached. I got a magnet pen which grabbed the ring easily. It's completely free floating. In the picture, I pulled it up to the filler hole to make it as visible as possible.

It's a much wider diameter than the filler hole. I don't know if the fuel pump hole is large enough to get it out either.

But even assuming I can get it out, that still leaves the question of why it was in there in the first place. Was it supposed to be under the filler hole to protect from fuel spray or something? (This is the only Enfield I have, so I don't know what the inside of another tank looks like.) Is it supposed to protect the fuel pump? It's a solid circle, with no holes, indentations, or cutouts on it. If it has a function, removing it isn't really the solution—having it put back where it belongs is.

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 10:23:16 pm
Good Sleuthing.  Regardless of what it is and how it got there, your bike is a 2014.  Sounds like time for the dealer to honor the warranty and fix this for you.

Cheers,

Dan K.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 03:16:19 am
Nothing in the Parts Manual matches the piece in your pic.
Feel around with your finger inside the Filler. There should be an additional flange that serves as a splash guard. If it's not there, get it to a Dealer for warranty work.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Philatawgrapher

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 07:19:36 pm
The dealer conclusion was that the part is the filler hole splash guard. A new tank is on order.

I'm 99.9% positive that the mystery noise was this part rattling around in the tank. I'll put the mystery to its final rest after the new tank is installed.

hogdad

• Scooter
  • 2012 C5 Military Special
Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 11:15:46 pm

Phil, did the dealer say that the splash guard is welded in the tank or press fit, or what?

Did he ever see or hear of this happening, or are you special?
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2009 H-D Road Glide FLTR
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2000 H-D Electra Glide
1980 H-D FXS Low Rider
1979 H-D XLS Roadster
1978 Triumph Bonneville
1969 BSA Lightning
1966 BSA Lightning

Philatawgrapher

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 04:37:23 am
Of course I'm special! My mother even said so!

But no--dealer hadn't ever heard of this happening.

I do not know whether it is press fit or welded, but from what I can see of the part through the filler hole, there doesn't appear to be any welding. I would assume a press fit.

I'm still waiting on the new tank.