Author Topic: Insurance Claim On The Blackhawk  (Read 6239 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 21, 2014, 03:20:27 pm
Alright, I figured I would start a new thread for this subject so as not to hi-jack the "What Did You Do..." thread.

So, my claims adjuster gave me the OK to have my bike evaluated and estimated by a custom paint motorcycle shop in Golden, CO called Gunslinger Custom Paint.   www.gcpaint.com  I was semi-skeptical at first but after I saw their website and the kind of work they do, I knew I would be getting a fair estimate from these guys.  The insurance department doesn't open up until 8:30a so I haven't spoke with them directly yet, but the shop is just down the road from where my bike is at at my friends house.  So I'm thinking of sucking up my pride today and riding it over there so they can get a real good look at it in person.  I'm thinking of taking my laptop loaded with all the different pics I have taken too.

Here's the thing that I'm concerned about.  I don't want to get their hopes up thinking that they are actually getting this job, but on the other hand, I want to make sure I get a fair quote so I don't get screwed.  So do I tell them up front that I restored this myself and I plan on doing the repairs and only need them for a fair estimate?  Should I ask them if they're hiring?   ;D

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 03:24:55 pm
I would just tell them that the insurance company wants estimates, and that you would like one.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 04:40:31 pm
I would just tell them that the insurance company wants estimates, and that you would like one.
+1... You can shoot yourself in the foot giving to much info. Get high estimates, then you wrench, & farm out the work you don't want do. You can put it back together yourself & save money.
  You might even have enough money left to put toward a more modern everyday rider. Nothing wrong with having a few bikes for different purposes.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 05:01:57 pm
You mean something like this?     ;)

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4477080060.html
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 05:04:24 pm by High On Octane »

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 10:32:30 pm
Scottie,

Sorry to read about your troubles with the Blackhawk.  I know after you cool down there's no way you'd get rid of that bike.  If it makes you feel any better, my Ural's front tire decided to blow on I-25 on Saturday.  Sent me across two lanes of traffic and into the median guard.  I posted a cautionary tale in my riding blog if you want to read it.

But we're both here to ride another day. :)

Cheers,

Dan K.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 12:47:11 pm
Dan - That is some scary stuff right there.  Glad you weren't seriously hurt, hopefully the bike is ok too.  You know what is interesting about all of that?  I ALMOST CALLED YOU TO RIDE ON SUNDAY!  That would have been have been extra crazy had we both broken down together.    :-\

I never did get a chance to get the Blackhawk up to the shop to have them take a look at it yesterday.  By the time I felt worth a crap to do anything, another storm rolled in and prevented me from making the journey out that way.  The boss has a dirt bike hitch hauler on the back of his mini van and Golden is the next town over from where I work.  I'm thinking of maybe taking a long lunch today and running over there to have Gunslinger take a closer look and then bring the bike back to my shop.

Scottie J

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 09:08:28 pm
Stopped at Gunslinger on my lunch.  Wow.  What a fanatic oppression they have going on there.  I grabbed an application as they are about to hire 60 new people for the expansion they are about to build.  The guy was super cool so I told him my intents and he understood where I was coming from.  When I asked if they were hiring he asked what I've painted.  I told him "I completely restored this Indian in a 20' garage".  "OK, let me give you a tour of the plant and see what you think."    :D   Turns out they are the second largest custom paint shop in the country and do production custom paint for H-D.  Thousands of paint jobs a year.

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 10:37:20 pm
Cool!

Ya never know what might happen when you meet new people!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 03:18:30 am
So maybe the Blackhawk wasn't trying to commit suicide on Monday.  Perhaps it was telling me something like "So Scottie, this is going to hurt a little.  But let's face it, your not happy with work.  Sure you're making good money, but there is something better out there, and it is literally just down the street.  So as a sacrifice, I am throwing myself onto the pavement as soon as you turn your back.  This will allow you to meet new people that can better your future and make you a better painter."  There is always a positive right?  Keeping my fingers crossed that this the opportunity I've been needing and looking for.   :)

Scottie J

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 10:23:22 am
Sorry to hear about that incident, Scottie. I had a similar situation where my bike fell towards the right when I was taking it off the center-stand. I have a topic on here about that incident and how I was so upset. In the end, I was able to solve everything and fix the dents/scratches, thanks to a PDR (paintless dent removal) expert.

So like everyone else has mentioned; don't worry! You'll be back to normal in no time. Stuff happens..
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 02:37:32 pm
If u take the new job, you might want to keep the blackhawk...I hate to see bad ju ju come back at you if you part with her while in a bad frame of mind.. 8)
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 01:01:02 am
Geesh.....  Even though I have a couple of "interested buyers" every time I think about parting ways it tears at me just a little bit inside.  I just don't think I can sell it, it's kind of a part of my life now.  A part of me.  Ya know?   I keep tossing around ideas in my head, I think I'm going to go full custom cafe with it when I collect the insurance settlement.  I think I am even going to install the dual headlight set up offered by H's.

And I've been eyeballing the Dime City Cycles seat pans as well.  This one in particular.....

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/legendary-motorcycles-fiberglass-phat-cafe-racer-motorcycle-seat-pan.html

Plus, as I mentioned earlier, the Connie fuel tank with the knee recesses.  Or I may just end stripping my original tank, fixing the leaks, and pounding in the sides to make my own knee recesses.  I believe this is what GHG did on his cafe project.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what Geico says about my claim.  Hopefully everything will work out.

Scottie J

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 01:40:56 am
So I seem to be lost at what happened to your bike Scottie. Reading the first post doesn't mention what happened. Did you post about it somewhere else?
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 04:29:38 am
Sorry.   Yes it originally started in the UCE "what did you do to your RE today" thread on Monday.  Sorry on my phone at the moment so I can't post the link.

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 04:44:23 pm
So maybe the Blackhawk wasn't trying to commit suicide on Monday.  Perhaps it was telling me something like "So Scottie, this is going to hurt a little.  But let's face it, your not happy with work.  Sure you're making good money, but there is something better out there, and it is literally just down the street.  So as a sacrifice, I am throwing myself onto the pavement as soon as you turn your back.  This will allow you to meet new people that can better your future and make you a better painter."  There is always a positive right?  Keeping my fingers crossed that this the opportunity I've been needing and looking for.   :)

Scottie J

Nice.  Hope something comes up for you Scotty.  Pretty much all of the positive career moves I've had have been totally random.

Good Luck,

Dan K.