Author Topic: Smoke coming from primary case  (Read 1072 times)

jeremyoung

• Scooter
on: May 23, 2014, 09:04:00 pm
So I have rebuilt and assembled everythjng from my gearbox rebuild.

I rode just around the block and I noticed my primary case smoking. When I opened it up the stator and rotor were very hot so wondering if it was from there?

Is it possible that there is not enough clearance between the stator and rotor assembly? Would that cause it to smoke, or is something else the cause?

Thanks

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 09:08:26 pm
Two main possibilities would be not gapping the rotor.stator gap when you installed the alternator, or there could be a shorted wire where the alternator wires go thru the top of the inner primary chaincase.

If the first possibility is true, then your alternator is toast.
If it is just a shorted wire, you may be able to repair it at almost no cost.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

jeremyoung

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 09:35:44 pm
My amp meter is going to the positive side so seems like it's still charging. Should I run a volt meter to it to see if the alternator is ok?

I do feel like the gap is not enough as when I run it with the primary case cover off the rotation is of the rotor is not 100% true.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 10:17:10 pm
Sounds like your rotor is not seated correctly, either on the hub itself or not seated onto the crankshaft correctly.  Smoke from the primary is almost always the alternator rubbing the rotor, and like Ace said your alternator is more than likely toast, quite possibly your rectifier too.  Ask me how I know.   ::)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 01:03:24 am
Dude!  Did you use my milk carton stator spacer?  It's with the snidal manual I think.  Either way, I'll be around tomorrow and could have a look.  Hope you didn't fry the stator.