Author Topic: It looks like there are a lot of newbies here, I guess I should join the fun  (Read 4587 times)

krimp

• Grease Monkey
And I did too. Brought home a blonde C5 today. On the way home, a 75 mile trip, I made one pit stop. While I was waiting for my brother, who took me up to get her, I had a guy look at her and ask if I did the restoration myself. I laughed and said no. Both he and his wife were stunned to find out that it was brand new.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Congrats and welcome to the forum!  Need pics :)
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Congrats and welcome to the forum!  Need pics :)

I plan on taking some more tomorrow morning. Until then, the one I posted in the "What did you do" thread should suffice.

Also, any advice for getting the tool box cover to come off? The way this one is stuck, I shouldn't ever have a problem with it popping open while riding.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 05:16:44 am by krimp »
2014 Cream C5

alladinko

• Bulleteer
nice! and the trip length too. i had poorly 20 miles, today, green one. but tmrw is another day :) and a beautiful one
and same thing with the toolbox cover - 3 guys trying to open it. nobody wanted to scratch the bike, pulling, twisting - that thing was like glued. i wonder now if it's the same as the other bikes, make 2010-2012 when owners are saying that the covers just fly off on the highways (or anywhere).

but congrats!
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2014 Royal Enfield Classic Military
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

krimp

• Grease Monkey
nice! and the trip length too. i had poorly 20 miles, today, green one. but tmrw is another day :) and a beautiful one
and same thing with the toolbox cover - 3 guys trying to open it. nobody wanted to scratch the bike, pulling, twisting - that thing was like glued. i wonder now if it's the same as the other bikes, make 2010-2012 when owners are saying that the covers just fly off on the highways (or anywhere).

but congrats!

Thanks. I just went to replace the spark plug with an NGK and found one already in there! I now have a spare.
2014 Cream C5

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
I have noticed a lot of Newbies as well which is great. I hope they have as much fun as the rest of us. A tip for the tool and battery box locks, once you do get them  open use a drop of silicone on the large nuts that secure the locks in the tool box and battery box
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

krimp

• Grease Monkey
I have noticed a lot of Newbies as well which is great. I hope they have as much fun as the rest of us. A tip for the tool and battery box locks, once you do get them  open use a drop of silicone on the large nuts that secure the locks in the tool box and battery box

Kevin, I'm able to get the tool box unlocked. Unfortunately, I just can't get the cover off. It moves, a lot, but doesn't come off at all. It's acting like it's hinged on the side opposite the lock.
2014 Cream C5

Arctictanker

• Scooter
You really are a noob...j/k  Mine was hell too.  I have taken it off a couple times and it is only slightly easier as I know how it works.  It pulls straight out.  When mine was put on the flap from the tool pouch was caught by the pin and was binding it a little bit.  Yes we also tried as hard as possible to not scratch the paint.  If memory serves me correctly there is a pin at the 12 o'clock and about 7 o'clock position (your "hinge").  We unlocked the cover and could get the 12 o'clock to come loose but the 7 o'clock was the pain.  After you do get it off some silicone on the tips of the pins and on the rubber gaskets should help some in the future.

Good luck and enjoy.  I got my 2014 Military in early April.  99 miles to complete my break-in.  I do have a nice gold color working it's way around the O2 sensor which if I understood the thread correctly is normal.  I also have a slight and I do mean slight blue appearing at the top of the pipe near the heat sink.

Most importantly WELCOME!
Northern Virginia
2014 C5 Military

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum!  You're going to get a lot of the "how long did the resto take" conversations.   ;)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
+1
Long-time riders are gonna stroke you a lot, so enjoy.  :D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Welcome and enjoy your Royal Enfield. You will get noticed when you ride.

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Thank you everyone. I was getting questions about it before I left the dealership.
2014 Cream C5

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Congratulations on the new bike. I bought mine 120 miles from home, and had the dealer deliver it. For the first 100 miles, I did not ride it more than 10 miles at the time, with 1/2 hour breaks in between. It had over 600 miles on it before I rode it 50 miles at one time. Now has 2500 miles on it in 2 1/2 months. I have had a lot of people ask me about it. Even more since I put British flag stickers on it. They swear it is an antique even after I tell them it's new. So many people have never heard of RE, or think they went out of business decades ago.

Mine doesn't really have "tool boxes", the one on the left is electrical stuff, the one on the right is the air filter. I had trouble getting mine open to begin with, a little WD-40 and they open easily. I still have to lay down on the floor and look up to get the battery cover lock to line up. It has to be just right.

"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Finally, a great picture of her. For those that don't know, that's Pikes Peak in the background.

Two beautiful ladies that I get the pleasure of looking at almost every day.
2014 Cream C5

hogdad

• Scooter
  • 2012 C5 Military Special
Also, any advice for getting the tool box cover to come off? The way this one is stuck, I shouldn't ever have a problem with it popping open while riding.

Oh, the tool box. 

I too have the same problem, and have applied silicon to the attachment points, but the next time I try to open it, same problem. The locking mechanism works fine.  It's that 8 o'clock attachment point that I wrestle with.

Barry
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2009 H-D Road Glide FLTR
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2000 H-D Electra Glide
1980 H-D FXS Low Rider
1979 H-D XLS Roadster
1978 Triumph Bonneville
1969 BSA Lightning
1966 BSA Lightning