Author Topic: New England gathering?  (Read 26273 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #45 on: June 17, 2014, 07:50:15 pm
Sounds like you're doing pretty good, Barry!  I can't get that kind of mileage, and the only way I can do 60, in 5th gear, is downhill, or lying flat on the tank... otherwise it's ping-city.

Some of these UCE guys talk about cruising for some length of time at 70mph - I just don't understand it...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: June 18, 2014, 11:07:36 pm
My G5 would cruise at 70 quite easily, but I had a 18T sprocket on it. The biggest complaint I had running that fast was the fuel consumption went up a lot. But it never seemed to bother the bike.
Matt, I don't understand why your bike would ping. I ran pretty much every kind of regular gas in mine and it never pinged. There has to be a problem in your ECU, or the Crankshaft Position Indicator is screwed up.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #47 on: June 19, 2014, 02:38:53 am
Mine doesn't ping either cruising up long grades at 60-65 mph.
Even running it at WOT on grades steep enough to hold my speed down to 52-55 mph it didn't ping. 

Maybe mattsz is hearing something else?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: June 19, 2014, 02:57:17 am
Mine doesn't ping either cruising up long grades at 60-65 mph.
Even running it at WOT on grades steep enough to hold my speed down to 52-55 mph it didn't ping. 

Maybe mattsz is hearing something else?

Perhaps a small exhaust at the header flange?  I had a bike do that to me before.  I thought I was hearing engine noise and actually a small piece of the exhaust gasket had blown out.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #49 on: July 10, 2014, 06:01:30 pm
PM sent to all you guys on the list at the top of this thread.  For anyone else also interested:

I'm still thinking about a meet-up at National Powersports (near Concord, NH) this summer.  I know that some of these questions have been scattered around already, but I'd appreciate it if you could all answer a couple questions for me:

1. Would you prefer a weekday, or weekend - or no preference?

2. Would you prefer before Labor day, or after - or no preference?

3. List any specific dates you would definitely prefer, or any specific dates you would definitely not come, for whatever reason.

I'll tally the results and pick a day that the most of us can manage.  And I'll get NPS involved, too…

Please PM me with any replies.

~ Matt

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #50 on: July 10, 2014, 06:03:40 pm
Not sure, but generally weekends are better for me. I am too unpredictable to work around though, so don't plan around my availability at all.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

hogdad

• Scooter
  • 2012 C5 Military Special
Reply #51 on: July 11, 2014, 12:30:23 pm
Hi Matt,

I sent you an email with my availability. Thanks for keeping the NEG together.

Barry
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2009 H-D Road Glide FLTR
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2000 H-D Electra Glide
1980 H-D FXS Low Rider
1979 H-D XLS Roadster
1978 Triumph Bonneville
1969 BSA Lightning
1966 BSA Lightning

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #52 on: July 24, 2014, 11:47:55 am
Ok guys, mark your calenders:

Saturday, August 23rd, at National Powersports, 319 Commerce Way, Pembroke, NH.

The details:

From 9am to 5pm that day, National Powersports is hosting a British Day to publicly announce Triumph to their dealership (I know, I know... but at least we got there first!).  There will be a bike show judged by Iron and Air Magazine, and the British Beer Company will be catering the event.  So, free lunch and maybe a door prize or two.

My original hope was to have a small Enfield-centric meeting, with some food.  And no contests or games to speak of, but a few token prizes for random things: furthest traveled, oldest bike, etc.  But enough of "us" have expressed interest in the date, and the event, that we might as well meet there and then!  I'm looking forward to it.  I'll post more details here when I get them.

They've asked me to let them know roughly how many I know of who might be planning to come; I know we're few in number, but please post here if you are going to try to make it...

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #53 on: July 24, 2014, 01:03:36 pm
Sounds like a good time, unfortunately I won't be able to make this one. :(
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

tresser4K

• Scooter
Reply #54 on: July 24, 2014, 02:39:18 pm
Sure, why not.

Savagefellow

• Scooter
Reply #55 on: July 24, 2014, 04:15:28 pm
I'm out.
Mike

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #56 on: July 24, 2014, 04:21:12 pm
I know... Sorry guys, but you know how it is!  Mike, I checked back on the dates, and I figured you'd have to pass on this one.  :(

This NPS British Day doesn't have to be any kind of "official" New England gathering for us, anyway.  Maybe we can still try to pull something together for the fall?  Let's see what happens...

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #57 on: July 24, 2014, 05:11:14 pm
Hi Matt:
I'm in for the gathering at N. P. S. I'm one of their customers and I have been ordering supplies from them lately. Their Enfield business is very small, but their business of bikes on the internet is substantial.
When I'm out on my bike buzzy, I haven't passed many Triumphs in my travels. Ergo, I doubt there will be many triumph riders there. Lets go full speed ahead and see what happens. For buzzy, that's about 45 to 55 mph. If anyone wants better performance, buy a Triumph as a second bike for those times when you want to  "book-it", just a thought that NPS would love.

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet 

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #58 on: July 24, 2014, 10:09:04 pm
Neil - true, but I must say I see a lot more Triumphs than I do Enfields!  So far, my Enfield total is... none!  Unless I catch my reflection in a shop window...

I plan to be there, provided the weather holds... oh, yeah, and also provided I can get my bike back together and working...  :(

straffordrt

• Scooter
Reply #59 on: July 24, 2014, 10:39:00 pm
Ok guys, mark your calenders:

Saturday, August 23rd, at National Powersports, 319 Commerce Way, Pembroke, NH.

The details:

From 9am to 5pm that day, National Powersports is hosting a British Day to publicly announce Triumph to their dealership (I know, I know... but at least we got there first!).  There will be a bike show judged by Iron and Air Magazine, and the British Beer Company will be catering the event.  So, free lunch and maybe a door prize or two.

My original hope was to have a small Enfield-centric meeting, with some food.  And no contests or games to speak of, but a few token prizes for random things: furthest traveled, oldest bike, etc.  But enough of "us" have expressed interest in the date, and the event, that we might as well meet there and then!  I'm looking forward to it.  I'll post more details here when I get them.

They've asked me to let them know roughly how many I know of who might be planning to come; I know we're few in number, but please post here if you are going to try to make it...

Straffordrt-Northwood NH, also NPS customer, will try to be there.