Author Topic: New England gathering?  (Read 26308 times)

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
on: May 16, 2014, 02:34:27 pm
Based on chatter in the UCE thread, there appears to be some potential for a critical mass of NE folks up for a gathering. Thoughts on where/when? I am in Middlebury, VT which, in my view, is hard to beat for riding quality, but then the Whites and Dacks are pretty spectacular, too, to say nothing of the seacoast and Taconics...

Anyway, who's up for a gathering?
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 02:58:13 pm
That was quick!

I spammed the other sections (Vintage, AVL, Classic and Conti) just in case there's anybody there who might miss this thread...

Let's see who responds.  A central location is often a good idea, so if anyone is interested, include where you are so we can choose a place.  I live in Camden, on the coast of Maine, which isn't central to anything!  But personally, I'd be up for a bit of a ride to get somewhere...

Then there's the question of the meeting itself... a day-meeting and ride?  Or, do we wanna try for an overnight somewhere?  I'm new at this...

I'll keep a running list:

• lemming - Middlebury, VT
  • mattsz - Camden, ME
  • neil - Hooksett, NH
  • ruufman58 - Northern CT
  • NorEaster - Lisbon Falls, ME
  • skooks - Southwest ME
  • hogdad - Hartford, CT
  • Savagefellow - Southern ME
  • bluesdaddy2 - Vergennes, VT
  • tresser4K - Hartford, CT
  • sparklow - Tolland, CT
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:19:27 pm by mattsz »

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 07:52:51 pm
Hello Mattzs and Lemming:
Not sure on the spelling. I'm Neil and live directly between you two in Hooksett NH. All my riding experience is in NH, which I think is a great place to ride. If I needed to travel to VT. or Me. to participate in a group ride, I'd probably trailer my iron barrel bullet "Buzzy" and go from there. I'm game for VT. or Me. I'd most like to go to Nova Scotia with buzzy on trailer for a few days of riding around PEI etc. Obviously would require several overnights to complete.

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 08:51:35 pm
I've started a list in the second post, which I'll update as we get more interested parties...

neil - I see you're right near National Powersports, the RE dealer I'm about to bring my bike to in a couple weeks for a check-up.  Nothing too frightening, i just want someone with some experience with these things to have a look and listen.  I'm going to trailer it, because I want them to see/hear it cold - I've got some lumber to bring back to Maine from Exeter anyway, so I'll kill both birds.

I'd love to visit PEI by bike; I know some people up there...

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 11:29:43 pm
Half a year too late for me, I'm afraid.  Otherwise I would have joined ya!

Boggy in Boston SoCal
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 11:53:05 pm
We've heard all about your new riding territory, Boggy!  You'd be most welcome, even if you did abandon us for warmer climes...

ruufman58

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 12:29:55 am
I am here in northern ct.Western Mass and south and central Vt are great riding with plenty of areas lacking in tourists.Ii could check on an area with both motels and camping and make a weekend of it.

2013 G5Deluxe riding since 72

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 02:30:46 am
Hey ruufman58 - lots of great riding in those areas, indeed!

I guess we haven't gotten very far with this idea yet - it's only a few hours old!  But some thought will have to be given to the format and location.  At this point, I would be up for an overnight thing, or a day meet.  I would definitely ride there, wherever "there" turns out to be, but I know some people around where I could crash (oh, I don't like that phrase in this context!) so I don't have to ride so far in one day.

I've added your name and location to the list above...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 12:41:18 pm
NorEaster, in the Lisbon Falls, Maine area, has expressed interest, too.  Who'da thunk that Maine would carry the day?  So far, anyway...  ;)

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 03:00:26 am
Re N. E. area riders get together.
This idea sounds great to me. I've been riding my bullet 65 Buzzy around central NH for about 10 years and have not met any other Enfield riders while I have been out on the roads.

Buzzy is genuine Old School Iron Barrel with about 23,000 miles on the odometer. I've done a lot of work on the bike but it still does best on secondary roads at 45 to 55 mph. Maybe too slow for some of you but I ride strictly for recreation and enjoy the sights and smells as I go. No big rush to get anywhere. Trailering to a distant point seems best to me. I work on Buzzy myself, no experience with the local dealer, National Power Sports. Check out their website, they sell a lot of different bikes, not just R.E.

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet.

skooks

• Neophyte
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 02:24:05 pm
Add me to the list, please.
Located in SW Maine.

96 Bullet in progress!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 04:12:09 pm
You got it!  C'mon, you other New England states, we're killing you guys!  Or, maybe we're just that much more desperate here in Maine...  ;)

skooks, tell us more - is the '96 a working bike?  Or is it just "in progress" the way most of our are, getting mods and upgrades when wanted or needed?

At some point, we're going to have to come up with some ideas - I've never even thought about planning such a thing before!

Neil, if we end up somewhat centrally located, you may find that you won't have to trailer your bike anywhere!  Unless, of course, you'd rather go somewhere other than your own backyard.  Kind of like what happened to me last summer, when my family planned a reunion-sort of vacation where we could all gather, including siblings living in France and Hawaii.  Where did they pick?  Coastal Maine, about an hour from where I live.  Saved travel expenses for us, true, but we kind of would have liked to go somewhere different for a change.  Never mind, it was a wonderful spot and we had a great time!

And speaking of National Powersports, to say they sell "a lot of different bikes" is a bit of an understatement!  Their primary MO is used bikes via internet sales, and they move many hundreds every year!  RE is the only brand of new bike they sell.  I didn't buy from them, but I'm bringing my bike in to them for a service "checkup" in a few weeks - so far my communication with them has been excellent.

hogdad

• Scooter
  • 2012 C5 Military Special
Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 11:51:11 pm
Hello New Englanders,

I'm in central Connecticut, just south of Hartford, and I just finished the first 1000 miles on my 2012 C5 Military that I purchased last summer.  The oil is fresh and ready for a trip.

My travel bike is my HD Road Glide, but it could be a very interesting adventure on the Enfield.

I also would like to stop by National Power Sports in NH.

Let's keep working on this.

Barry
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2009 H-D Road Glide FLTR
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2000 H-D Electra Glide
1980 H-D FXS Low Rider
1979 H-D XLS Roadster
1978 Triumph Bonneville
1969 BSA Lightning
1966 BSA Lightning

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 12:13:44 am
Barry - I've added you to our list.  Another southern boy!  I wonder what NPS would do if we all showed up?  Hmm...

Any preferences or ideas about location, activities, etc?  Like I said, I'm new to all this...

hogdad

• Scooter
  • 2012 C5 Military Special
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 01:24:43 pm
mattsz, et. all,

Somewhere central New England will work best for me, because I have not sustained high rpms (as in highway) on the C5 for any length of time for these first 1000 miles.

I actually prefer secondary roads for my road trips, and where ever we decide to meet, I will GPS highway avoidance.

Even when fully run-in, I don't know the history of the UCE ability to sustain 65 mph hwy for any length of time.  Maybe Kevin, or someone else can shed some light on this.

An overnight certainly is a possibility, but I no longer have roadside camping equipment in my stable.

Keep her going.

Barry

2012 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2009 H-D Road Glide FLTR
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2000 H-D Electra Glide
1980 H-D FXS Low Rider
1979 H-D XLS Roadster
1978 Triumph Bonneville
1969 BSA Lightning
1966 BSA Lightning