Author Topic: Setting Carb and my new manual  (Read 1585 times)

txpilot

• Scooter
on: July 18, 2008, 02:53:16 am
So I bought the spiral bound "Work Shop Manual" from this website and it has alot of info but it is also very confusing. The section on drive chain adjustment is very confusing if any one can recomend a beter one let me know. The main reason I am upset with the manual is on pg 77 it gives an excellent exploded veiw of the carb for both 500 and 350cc's but only one problem there is no description of the parts only numbers beside them. The section on setting idle says to
1. turn pilot air screw down to the bottomw and reduce engine RPM to slowest rate using idle adjusting screw
2. open air screw and raise RPM to max
3. now adjust idle with idle adjusting screw.

This seems very easy but I don't know where these screws are. I've found two of them one that sticks out of the side with a spring around it in the middle of the carb (idle adjust I assume)
and one back by the air cleaner at a angle. (I have no Idea)
I also can't find the third one.

Thanks

txpilot

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 03:43:29 am
so I found a list that co ensides with my manual but I don't see one listed as "pilot air screw" or "idle adjusting screw". Now it runs like crap and has a dead spot everytime I try to Rev the throttle. I'm so frustrated. I have a VW that is 38 years old and is my daily driver that i keep running like a top. I get this bike that is only 12 years old and not only can I not figure it out but I can't find any info on it. Sorry i'm just venting but i could use some help on setting the idle.

DonK

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 04:53:29 pm
Scroll down on this page...
There's a pic.

http://www.motorcycleblog.org/bulletblog/afterexhaust.html

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 06:46:01 pm
The smaller brass screw that is at an angle is the pilot screw - requires a screwdriver.

The larger thumb and finger operated idle speed bolt is at 90 degrees sticking straight left out of the carb body.

There is no third screw.

Do NOT put force the brass pilot to seat with the screwdriver.  GENTLY seat it to start the procedure. 

The pilot screw is an air bleed.  The large thumb bolt idle speed acts on the carb slide.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 06:48:49 pm by Foggy_Auggie »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter