Author Topic: What model years were the AVL engine standard?  (Read 3176 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
on: May 14, 2014, 06:30:31 pm
I am thinking the AVL was the engine from 2006-2009, but is that not correct?
When the AVL was released could you still buy the Iron Barrel?

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 08:22:57 pm
that sounds about right. For a short period of time you could buy both models as new
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 08:56:08 pm
And then the AVL and UCE's also overlapped a year or two.  The AVL is the the real Jan Brady of the bunch.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Adrian

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 11:33:53 pm
I don't know when the factory ceased all AVL model production, but I think they carried on (quietly) making the 350 iron barrel model for domestic use until about 2011, alongside the UCE models.

Shame the AVL was never properly developed, it could have been an absolute winner with a few design tweaks and consistent quality control. Still, it's not too hard to turn one into something nice, and getting over the lack of obvious tuning options (thank you BW, we salute you) is just part of the fun of turning it into something like the bike you really wanted when you bought it. 

What I would have liked the factory to have included:

1. Big end bearing running in a sleeved con-rod;

2. Oil pumps with replaceable bodies or inserts to save having to junk the whole timing cover if the pumps get scored by swarf/debris;

3. Cam followers and de-compressor valve from the iron barrel model;

4. The electronic ignition to be totally self-generating and completely separate from the battery and charging/lighting circuits;

5. Properly finished inlet and exhaust ports.

We could have taken it from there, guys...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:37:53 pm by Adrian »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 12:30:09 am
I don't know when the factory ceased all AVL model production, but I think they carried on (quietly) making the 350 iron barrel model for domestic use until about 2011, alongside the UCE models.

Shame the AVL was never properly developed, it could have been an absolute winner with a few design tweaks and consistent quality control. Still, it's not too hard to turn one into something nice, and getting over the lack of obvious tuning options (thank you BW, we salute you) is just part of the fun of turning it into something like the bike you really wanted when you bought it. 

What I would have liked the factory to have included:

1. Big end bearing running in a sleeved con-rod;

2. Oil pumps with replaceable bodies or inserts to save having to junk the whole timing cover if the pumps get scored by swarf/debris;

3. Cam followers and de-compressor valve from the iron barrel model;

4. The electronic ignition to be totally self-generating and completely separate from the battery and charging/lighting circuits;

5. Properly finished inlet and exhaust ports.

We could have taken it from there, guys...

+1
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Adrian

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 12:08:58 am
My AVL/Redditch project bike has most of these included! Only the oil pump insert has yet to be addressed, but anyone with access to a good machine shop (sadly my bench drill doesn't count) could get this done... Worth a try, particularly if the supply of new timing covers ever dries up?

A.

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 06:22:05 am
The AVL is clearly liked by some in India. I see lots of outrageous Choppers and other designs with that engine. I like the looks of it as well. I have never seen an AVL in person. I have seen the UCE and Iron Barrel. I suspect I will see one soon.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 10:29:21 pm
 IIRC the AVL or "Lean Burn" engine was available in the U.K. beginning in 2004, a few years prior to that in the Indian home market and available in the U.S. from 2006 to 2010.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Adrian

Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 11:29:38 pm
According to Gordon May's book "Made in India" the original AVL - the A350 Machismo - first appeared in India as far back as 1999.

A.