Author Topic: Electric Start for Iron Barrels ?  (Read 6078 times)

Hurricane

• Scooter
on: May 14, 2014, 01:23:40 pm
After an injury to my right leg/ankle, I just do not have the strength or courage to risk kickstarting my 2000 Bullet Iron Barrel. The healing process for us getting-older guys is simply a lot of work that I don't want to go through again.
Here's the question that will bring boos from the audience:
Can an electric starter be added to an older Iron barrel ?  Was this ever offered ?  How about a rope starter ?   ;D

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 01:54:16 pm
There was an electric starter option offered, but it came with the bike as an integral part, where the starter motor bolted on to the engine case.
There was a bolt on option offerered by NField Gear for a time, but I doubt many were ever sold. I don't know how they secured the starter motor.

I think that your best bet would be to either bump start the bike like a racer, or sell it and buy another one which has the  electric starter already built on to it from the factory.
Be aware that the electric starter systems on these bikes are some of the most troublesome parts ever put on a Bullet.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

potboiler

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 08:22:51 pm
In terms of cost and convenience it might be worth considering selling your present bike (yes, I know how attached to it you are!) and buying a model 'sixty 5' (with either a left or right hand gear change - whatever suits you). This model has the same iron barrel engine as your present bike but with  a really sweet 5 speed gearbox. The electric starter on it has a bit easier time due to the fairly low compression compared to later AVL leanburn models. If used correctly, the starter can have a long and happy life. As a last resort you could opt for the new UCE EFI models. These have depreciated enormously in value in  their 6 years of production (at least here in the UK) and can be had for the same money as a good condition older carbed model.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 08:26:36 pm
I had a conversion kit made but I was afraid to sell it. It was very expensive but mostly it was all it was basically handmade. I was afraid that in production it might not be as good as the prototype and would lead to a very unhappy customer. We only did one and I all but gave it away to a customer.

Kind of like the twin exhaust heads I did  ten of or the oil pressure gauges I made for the iron barrel.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 05:45:35 am
 Hurricane you should be able to obtain used e start systems from those converting to kick only.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

potboiler

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 08:06:23 am
'' Hurricane you should be able to obtain used e start systems from those converting to kick only.'' -

I'm not sure if these would fit straight on to a non-ES engine. There wouldn't be any mounting holes for the starter motor to bolt to the barrel. 

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 03:11:09 pm
Here is something to get you started.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 08:01:51 pm
I believe potboiler is correct. The engine cases themselves are different because they lack the mounting flange for the starter motor.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,19254.0.html

Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 08:30:48 pm
I believe potboiler is correct. The engine cases themselves are different because they lack the mounting flange for the starter motor.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,19254.0.html

The cases are different.
It's not an easy matter to try to modify an older KS case for ES. Not only would the case have to be welded-up and drilled/tapped for mounting the starter motor, but the oil lines to the head would have to be re-routed from lower on the engine, like the ES models have, because the starter motor would block the older style oil line location.

MUCH easier to sell the bike and buy an ES model.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 08:36:18 pm

MUCH easier to sell the bike and buy an ES model.

+1
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 10:41:56 pm
See if someone is willing to swap their ES for your KS. KS only models are very desirable so you might be able to find someone.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 11:01:22 pm
     I have broken my leg or ankle a few times. It really wasn't much of an adjustment to learn to kick start my 650 twin with my left foot. The process is the same, except that you stand beside the bike instead of straddling it. If you can get it on the center stand it will be a little easier. Throttle with the right hand and steady yourself with your left hand on the seat.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 11:33:15 pm
I have kick started my Bullet by hand just like the YouTube vid with Indian girl. Makes you wonder why they ever installed an ES in the first place. But as Vince states, just as easy/simple with the opposite foot or in my case hand.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 04:55:28 pm
I always stand next to my bike to kick it over.  I dont know if I've kicked it on while on the seat more than 10 times in 6 years.  I think all of those moments were when it stalled at a light.

'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

Hurricane

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 02:48:19 am
Thanks for all the comments guys. I looked a bit for a Sixty-5...that's a nice Enfield but not around big numbers. I just keep dreading the notion of getting rid of my KS 2000 Bullet. Funny to say, but the Enfield has become too personal to me.
I road I think I want to try now is starting it left-footed. I feel defeated, but I'm not giving in quite yet.
Hurricane