Author Topic: BAD vibration just started!  (Read 3413 times)

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
on: May 13, 2014, 09:42:42 pm
Hello All. Looking for some other possibilities which may be the root of my problem. My ride is a '99 Iron 500ks, stock except for TM32, Ace Air Can and shorty exhaust.

Problem: This just started. I feel a bad vibration, mostly on deceleration...coming off throttle when shifting between gears, or just slowing down while in gear. Do NOT feel the vibe when excelerating or steady throttle at speed. Do NOT feel it when reving in neutral. The vibe is definately down low, coming up from the footpegs.

Since I can't feel it when reving in neutral, I'm imagining it's coming from the gearbox?

Here's what I've done so far: Tightened all bolts around the gearbox. One was finger loose, others were tight. Checked gearbox oil....good. Checked all enging mounts, head steady and all bolts on frame and wheels...all good. Opened the Primary Case, tightened the primary chain to about 1/4" deflection in either direction. (It was very loose). Removed clutch pack, but not hub, and cleaned all friction plates and spacers while in there with brake clean. Clutch pack looks good. Checked the 20mm bolt that holds hub...it was tight. Adjusted clutch. Filled Primary with Type F, fired her up, still had vibration...actually, seemed a bit worse. It feels so bad, I'm worried to ride it.

Could something be coming apart in the gearbox? Other suggestions to look for?? I've had a RS Shift Kit on order from our hosts since Feb. Was recently notified it should be in within 2 weeks, so I didn't want to open the gearbox to check things out, since I'll be doing this when kit arrives.

The only remaining thing I can see or think that needs tended to is the main drive chain seems loose. Could this cause that sort of vibration....only on decel? Regardless, i'll be tightening that up tonight and give it another go.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Tim

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:44:57 pm
Could be the drive chain.
Don't over-tighten it. Just  adjust it normally, and see if you get any improvement.

Check the head steady. I know it's on top, but it can have big effects if it's loose, so it's worth checking.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 12:47:36 am
Main bearings rumble on deceleration. When you have your primary cover off you can check for looseness by trying to shake the rotor.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:51:05 am by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 02:11:54 am
I've had the head steady fastener come loose and it's a strong vibration.  Got worse the farther I rode home.  Thought the motor was coming apart. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 02:33:03 am
What he said. That is the first thing I would check
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

flyboy

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 02:06:42 pm
Thanks for the input.
I did check the head steady, but not with a wrench, only felt for finger-looseness. I'll put a wrench on it. And still to tighten drive chain.
I'm hoping it's something simple like that, and not what cyrusb has suggested....although, I'm thinking he may be correct.
I'll keep you posted of my findings.
thanks!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 03:24:31 pm
Thanks for the input.
I did check the head steady, but not with a wrench, only felt for finger-looseness. I'll put a wrench on it. And still to tighten drive chain.
I'm hoping it's something simple like that, and not what cyrusb has suggested....although, I'm thinking he may be correct.
I'll keep you posted of my findings.
thanks!

Always check the easy things first.
It could be bearings. That would not be anything unusual for a Bullet to have bearings go bad. The engine bearings are a known weak point.

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 05:58:26 pm
I've had a similar thing happen as well - ended up the drive chain was a bit too loose.  I never fully lost the vibration but it was mitigated a lot with a slight tighening.  Chain was loose enough to slap on the frame just enough to be a menace
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 06:00:28 pm by Phlakaton »
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

flyboy

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 07:40:27 pm
Just thinking....IF this was to be the main bearings, is there any reason it would be more prevalent while riding?? As I said, I do not feel any vibration when reving while in neutral. Wouldn't bad bearings present themselves either riding or stationary?

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 08:10:05 pm
Flyboy, what i have found is that the engine has to be transitioning from a loaded state to unloaded to get that rumble. It lasts only for the short time it takes to go from loaded to unloaded. I don't think just revving freely will cause it unless they are really shot. As ace suggested, do all the easy things first and hopefully you will find the vibe. I can tell you that my 05 with 10k is beginning to do that for maybe a half second between shifts. A short Brr sound. If and when it gets worse i'lll have to dive in.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 08:16:18 pm
On an iron barrel there was one bearing that would normally go bad. 99% of the bikes have never had this issue but it does happen. Normally it would happen pretty early in the engines life. It can sound like a crunching. You are getting some pretty good advice here....don't panic and look for the very simple things
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 08:28:16 pm
Just thinking....IF this was to be the main bearings, is there any reason it would be more prevalent while riding?? As I said, I do not feel any vibration when reving while in neutral. Wouldn't bad bearings present themselves either riding or stationary?
Having a load on the engine often makes the symptoms more noticeable.

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 06:01:36 pm
please keep us posted flyboy.
 have you found anything loose that may have caused it?
 i am particularly interested because i also have a 99, and waiting on the RH shift kit. are you going to go with sealed bearings? i haven't decided yet. i may just put the RH kit in and use 00 grease for a while.
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

flyboy

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 04:08:14 am
Here's where I'm at...
Today, Tightened drive chain about 1"-1.5" and lubed well. Head steady and all motor mount bolts checked and tight, none were loose. Fired her up, and still have the vibration. Extremely noticeable, immediately from start out, when shifting from 1st to 2nd. ALTHOUGH, I noticed if I keep constant, steady speed in 1st gear, the vibe comes back....say, around 1500rpm. Didn't try it in 2nd.

Cyrus, I had the primary back together before I read your post of checking the rotor for slop. Thanks for the suggestion...I'll pull the primary case again tomorrow and check for any looseness. Seems like we both have the same problem, but mine may be worse. (try yours at that steady 1500-2000 rpm in 1st and see if you get the rumble)
QUESTION...should I remove the stator when checking the rotor? Or can I just get a socket on the nut and check? HOW MUCH play is too much...any at all is bad?
Thanks all,
Tim

flyboy

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 04:17:28 am
guss, yes I did get the sealed bearings...why not while you're in there. I've had those since the end of Feb, along with the kickstart pawl (get that too), which got shipped on time, but still waiting the RS kit.

Could there be a chance there is a problem within the gearbox and not the big end, which is causing this rumble? And it can be solved while doing the RS kit....with the close-ratio gear set!?