Author Topic: Oil leak?  (Read 4629 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 02:32:15 am
What he said. An evolutionary vestige
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 02:59:16 am
That piece of gasket is probably nothing to worry about. There is a section of the right side cover gasket... at the back, near the sprocket. That doesn't seal anything, it just a section that spans between the threaded posts for the side cover screws.  It just brakes off at the post and hangs there.   You can actually brake it off, after the cover is installed.... just leaving the piece's between the cover and posts.
OK! Then it must be the countershaft or the kicker. I could just let it oil the chain until I get around to it.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 04:48:00 am

I have heard about that stuff on many forums. I'll probably give it a try eventually. But right now I've got 2 brand new large cans of the Bel Ray stuff to use up first. I have decided to keep a non O-ring chain on it, use good ones, maintain them, and replace as necessary. I only do local riding, so I don't have to worry about a chain wearing out in the middle of a trip. I bought this bike partly because I wanted something else to do with it besides just ride. I'm one of those who grew up maintaining bikes, and still enjoy it.
ME TOO, I've always loved to work on them & also use a good non O ring Japanese chain. I take mine out mostly for short errand hops & local Burn-ups. The dry lube is the best invention since peanut butter - but not so delicious.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

caricabasso

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 06:19:15 am
Generally what you see at that point is the grease of the chain.
The heat it melts and falls on that point.
If after cleaning the area has a few drops of oil on the ground, it's probably coming out of the oil seals of the cickstart.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 09:37:01 pm
That chain grease/oil is a bugger (with a capital B) to get off! But that is probably all it is.
Roverman.