Author Topic: Oil leak?  (Read 4627 times)

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
on: May 13, 2014, 02:30:47 pm
Is this just normal "self-lubrication" or is this an oil leak I should be concerned about? I did have to add some oil (about 1/2 quart) around 1000 miles after I bought it (with a fresh oil change, reportedly, by the seller).

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

jkrobin

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 02:35:49 pm
I'm interested in the answer to lemming's question, too, as I have similar buildup in the same location on my 2012 C5 (4700 miles).
2012 C5 Chrome (Black)
Charlottesville, Virginia

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 02:48:45 pm
Isn't that off the chain?
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 02:57:51 pm
Well, that was my assumption, that the chain was throwing lube off right there. But it regularly looks fresh, and more like oil than chain lube. Also, the trail of stuff coming down the side behind the chain looks like oil. If it's normal, then I am happy. I just don't want to ignore something if it should be addressed.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:04:22 pm by lemming »
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 05:30:41 pm
I sprayed my chain with ACF50 to prevent rust. Normally I use Bel-Ray Superclean that doesn't throw any lube. I assumed that oil was just what I had sprayed on the chain. I am going to clean the whole thing this morning and report back if it gets wet again. Mine is also a 2012 C5.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 06:14:08 pm
I also use  Bel-Ray Superclean, and a couple of times I took off before it had a chance to completely dry. I found some of it in that exact location. It was definitely chain lube, because it was white.

The UCE is difficult to change oil in. If you try to do it like a wet sump engine, and fill it up until the level is where you want it in the sight glass, The next day it will likely be low. I have changed my oil 3 times so far, and that happened every time. I wound up adding more oil twice more before it stayed where I wanted it to in the sight glass. It is also difficult to determine just how much oil came out when you drain it, and it may not be exactly the same every time. Apparently there are baffles inside the engine that trap oil. This concerns me because of the possibility of accidentally running it with a low oil level. It now takes me 2 days to change to oil, to make sure the oil level in the sight glass stays put. Most would call this overkill, but I tend to be very OCD about oil level. I've seen to many engine failures from being run without enough oil.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 06:49:33 pm
Well, that was my assumption, that the chain was throwing lube off right there. But it regularly looks fresh, and more like oil than chain lube. Also, the trail of stuff coming down the side behind the chain looks like oil. If it's normal, then I am happy. I just don't want to ignore something if it should be addressed.

It could just be chain oil, and it usually is.  Or it could be a leak in your breather chamber gasket, which is behind the right side cover in that area. Could also be a leak at the seal on output prop. Or if you have a kicker, it could be on the shaft seal. If it is continuous clean oil, I would doubt it's the chain...depending on what you use to lube the chain.  I suppose you can try cleaning the chain off, and using a more dry wax type lube for a while, and see if it goes away.. Keep an Eye on your oil level though.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 08:07:11 pm
pretty sure it's chain fling.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 08:37:30 pm
My '09 G5 has done this since new. I blame the delicate balance of oil level. Too much and it pisses out, too little and it pisses out! Basically, it's British and you'll never see clean wheels, ever. It's annoying, but harmless.

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 08:43:40 pm
Looks like mine as well.  On mine it is the kit start shaft seal.  I put in a new seal and it still weeps.  The Kick shaft has some play in it so it woggles about some.  That and perhaps if there is too much oil that is a weak spot so to speak. 

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 08:51:40 pm
Definitely overzealous chain lube. I don't want to sound prissy here; But my 2010 G5 deluxe does not get gooey there, BECAUSE I use Dupont Dry Wax Teflon Spray Chain Lube. I make a trough of tin foil to catch the overspray, then spray the lower run of my chain while turning the wheel. In a few minutes it is totally dry, & doesn't sling Goo on the bike engine or rims. I do this every few months. EXCELLENT STUFF!  Bought it at Lowes home improvement store. Shows a bike chain on the label as one use.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 12:06:57 am
Definitely overzealous chain lube. I don't want to sound prissy here; But my 2010 G5 deluxe does not get gooey there, BECAUSE I use Dupont Dry Wax Teflon Spray Chain Lube. I make a trough of tin foil to catch the overspray, then spray the lower run of my chain while turning the wheel. In a few minutes it is totally dry, & doesn't sling Goo on the bike engine or rims. I do this every few months. EXCELLENT STUFF!  Bought it at Lowes home improvement store. Shows a bike chain on the label as one use.

I have heard about that stuff on many forums. I'll probably give it a try eventually. But right now I've got 2 brand new large cans of the Bel Ray stuff to use up first. I have decided to keep a non O-ring chain on it, use good ones, maintain them, and replace as necessary. I only do local riding, so I don't have to worry about a chain wearing out in the middle of a trip. I bought this bike partly because I wanted something else to do with it besides just ride. I'm one of those who grew up maintaining bikes, and still enjoy it.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 12:17:23 am
Thanks all! My takeaway here is that it could be chain fling from overlubing, or weepage from overfilling the oil, either of which I could easily have done in my noobitude, or possibly some moderate seepage at the kick start seal.  In any event, sounds like nothing I need to worry over, just pay attention to. Works for me.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 02:10:31 am
While cleaning it this morning a 3" piece of gasket fell out. 200 miles later it is wet with oil, not white chain lube. Not enough to effect the level, just enough to be messy. When I stop riding long enough, I'll have the dealer look at it.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 02:27:52 am
While cleaning it this morning a 3" piece of gasket fell out. 200 miles later it is wet with oil, not white chain lube. Not enough to effect the level, just enough to be messy. When I stop riding long enough, I'll have the dealer look at it.

That piece of gasket is probably nothing to worry about. There is a section of the right side cover gasket... at the back, near the sprocket. That doesn't seal anything, it just a section that spans between the threaded posts for the side cover screws.  It just brakes off at the post and hangs there.   You can actually brake it off, after the cover is installed.... just leaving the piece's between the cover and posts.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.