Author Topic: Bit of a birthday for the Bullet..  (Read 2229 times)

woodboats

• Grease Monkey
  • New Zealand
on: July 18, 2008, 01:44:47 am
Just completed a few changes and tidy-ups on my 2006 Bullet (6000 kms) The new additions are a good improvement and I am pleased with them.
Although I don't use it (my wife likes it) I had a new sprag clutch fitted to the electric start, I guess this is can be a bit of a problem with some of the electric starts.
New chain and Avon Road Rider tire fitted. Really good improvement for cornering, the stock tires don't quite do it for good cornering but seem fine for most other conditions. This is probably the widest tire that can be fitted.
New 18 tooth sprocket for highway speeds. I don't do much high speed driving but for road cruising this sprocket makes 60-65 mph quite easy when needed. I did think of using a 19 tooth but thought with 2 up at times it would work a bit hard at low speeds. I am only guessing on this.
New short exhaust for that "scaring chickens" sound.
Somehow during all of this my emission control stuff fell off. ;D

Ours: 2006 Bullet Deluxe 500
Hers: 2007 Yamaha V Star 650
His: 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 08:25:29 pm
I luv the sound of the old style exhaust shorty silencer!  It's got character!  And 500 ccs of RE isn't polluting anywhere near the amount of a gas guzzling Garbage Manufacturing Company "Hummer"  (which is anything BUT a humdinger!). ;D
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:31:21 pm
I can't say this for certain, but it's very possible that our 500cc Bullets actually DO produce more pollutants than a Hummer, or at least not that much less.

Not CO2 certainly (although I don't consider that a pollutant per se) but other combustion by products maybe.

I don't know the Hummer's rating, but a modern ULEV (ultra low emission vehicle) like a Honda Civic produces almost nothing but CO2, while our non-catalyst carburated engines certainly are pumping more than that.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

erob123

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 10:03:06 pm
Whats with the "woodboats"  I'm starting to build a Gator Duckhunterwood boat this weekend.  Killing time, get my new '08 Military next weekend.  Get this, its an Iron.  did a ref on VIN parts made 2005? figure that I must be gettin the leftovers.  Looking forward to riding.  Just curious abouit the user name.  Thanks to everybody on the forum, going to baby this one.  Got lots of input on the breakin.  I'll get run over on the streets of Houston doing max 35 for breakin. Thats residential!  Eric

woodboats

• Grease Monkey
  • New Zealand
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 11:44:21 pm
Good luck with your build Eric!
My user name just comes from what I do for a crust in New Zealand. I only work on wooden boats both new and tidying up the older ones. It may not be of interest to you but this is my site:   www.woodenboats.co.nz
You are getting a great looking bike, friend of mine has one and he can't stop anywhere without folks wanting to have a look at it.
Both my wife and I ride mid-size  cruisers but the Enfield still has top place for delivering sheer fun and enjoyment. They really are beautiful bikes.
Until we got ours the only "up close and personal' we had with the metric bikes was cleaning them. The Enfield re-introduces the "take care of me and I will take care of you" part of motorcycling that we were beginning to miss out on.
Ours: 2006 Bullet Deluxe 500
Hers: 2007 Yamaha V Star 650
His: 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750

deejay

Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 02:49:49 am
It may not be of interest to you but this is my site:   www.woodenboats.co.nz

WOW works of art, very cool man!

erob123

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 01:06:16 pm
Wow cool, I like Tugly, will probably be my next boat.  Got a shot of what I am trying to build now.