Author Topic: Driving a Classic 8,000 miles from India to Spain...Help with spares list....  (Read 2208 times)

Bala2014

• Scooter
  • India to Spain...faster than a speeding Bullet
...And I leave in a few days! 

Quick introduction, am new here but you will all be hearing lots from me over the next months.  I have been soaking up info on this forum for months and just now finally got through some technical difficulties that were hindering me from registering. 

So yes, I have a 2006 500cc Bullet Standard.  Just rebuilt the engine (new valves, new engine bearings, crank reconditioned, etc. etc.)  Had already completed about 4,000 miles with this bike before rebuild around India and Nepal and now gearing up for the trip west.  To learn more about the trip and/or to follow along you can check out my blog: www.thescenicroutethroughlife.com

I have lots of questions but for today will just post this one...Anyone want to give me their idea of what would be the ideal list of spares to bring with me...

Keep in mind once out of India there are no Enfield dealers until Central Europe. Also keep in mind I am riding with pillion, luggage, camping gear, etc. so am trying to keep all weight down to a minimum.  I am starting with new fresh brakes, filters, bearings etc.  Here is the list I put together:

Speedo Cable - 2
Throttle Cable - 1
Clutch Cable - 2
Gasket Kit (full)
Extra head Gaskets
Tubes - 2
Oil Filter- 1
Wheel Bearings - 8 (Two sets)
Front Brake Pad - 2
Rear Brake - 1
Spark Plugs - 3
Piston Rings
Clutch Plates - 1
Spokes - 2 extra for each wheel
Fork Oil Seal - 2 set
Ignition coil - 1 (unnecessary???)
Air Filter - 1
Fuses
Kick spring
Tools - All the basics

I have a good support team here in Delhi so if something really goes wrong and I need some random part they can post it to me. 

So, any advice?  In general...not just on the spares list!  I will try and do my part on this forum and post things I learn along the way that might help others.  Thanks in advance for all your help!

-Jordan

Taking the scenic route from India to Spain...8,000 miles on a classic Enfield!
www.thescenicroutethroughlife.com

Bala2014

• Scooter
Cool!  Thanks for those links, my girlfriend (pillion) and I sat glued to the computer reading through them....nice to know there are other people out there fighting the battle. 

One new question to add to my original post...

I just put brand new rear gas suspension...think this was a mistake?  Someone told me I should not have gone with the gas suspension...

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Cool!  Thanks for those links, my girlfriend (pillion) and I sat glued to the computer reading through them....nice to know there are other people out there fighting the battle. 

One new question to add to my original post...

I just put brand new rear gas suspension...think this was a mistake?  Someone told me I should not have gone with the gas suspension...

Good luck and have a great time.  The gas shocks should do you better when you're riding 2.  I think it was a good move.  Also, I didnt see it on your list, but make sure to have a couple of sets of ignition points and condensers if you're not using electronic ignition.

I'll be following your blog!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
Hey Jordan, sounds like a life-changing adventure! I'll be following your blog.

Sounds like you have things well covered and well prepared! My only suggestion, since your traveling with passenger, camping gear, etc...is to consider weight. I think I'd rid my spare kit of some of the "not-so-necessary" items.

I'd ditch the 2 speedo cables, and only take 1 clutch cable. I'd also ditch the following:
Wheel Bearings; Brake Pads; Clutch Plates, Piston rings (really?) Fork oil seals.

I'd add: in-line fuel filter and air filter.

Good luck and ride safe!

Bulletbaz

• Scooter
Two things that I would definitely add to the list are:

A) A length of electrical wire sufficient to connect from the positive battery terminal to the positive on the ignition coil (think I got that right!), in order to bypass the circuitry in the event of a tricky loose connection somewhere (maybe with small crocodile clips at each end). It'll get you up and running until the fault can be properly traced. (But remember to disconnect it when you are on stop!). This has got me home a few times in the past!

B) A couple of those tiny terminal nuts that connect the condenser and contact breakers. To often they fly off into space as the sprung contact-breaker is released, never to be seen again! It left me stranded at the roadside once and I have carried a few spares ever since. (Can't remember what thread they are, but I got them from my local hardware store).

Bala2014

• Scooter
Great suggestions.  I think you are aright about the wheel beerings in retrospect.  I work with a company here in Delhi called Vintage Rides (www.vintagerides.com/en).  We do tours on Enfields.  Our mechanics helped me with my list and they are used to working on our tour bikes that are running on atrocious chopped-up Indian roads, so they go through things like wheel bearings and fork oil seals regularly.  But I think 90% of the roads I will be on should be relatively decent, so I will ditch some of those items.  The speedo cables I brought because for some reason my bike in particular seems to eat them up (I've gone through 2 in the last 7,000k).  Great idea with the electical bypass trick Bulletpaz...I'll do that for sure. 

Tomorrow we hit the road...my last day in India to buy spares!  Thanks for all the help

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
I am pretty sure the speedo cables aren't lubricated very well by the factory.
Pull the inner rotating cable out of the outer sheath and coat it with a light grease before reinserting it.
I've had good success using the Petroleum Jelly that is commonly used on cuts and dry skin.

The only difficult part of doing this lube on the installed cable is getting the upper square drive to slip back into the bottom of the speedometer.  If you futz with it long enough, it will go back together. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
can you just use cable lube on a speedo cable?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
IMO, any lube is better than none.
That said, gravity will cause light weight oils to drain out while a light weight grease will pretty much stay put.

The reason I suggest a very light weight grease is because the gear drive on the front wheel isn't the strongest thing in the world and thick grease made thicker by cold temperatures won't do it any good.

There are also some graphite or Molybdenum disulfide dry lubes that can work well in the cable.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bala2014

• Scooter
Thanks.  Good suggestions for adding extra lube to the speedo cable.  I have arrived in Kyrgystan.  The journey west begins.  No spares from here on out.  Have a new problem though...will post it separate.  Thanks for the help.