Author Topic: headlight question  (Read 912 times)

spyker

• Scooter
on: May 10, 2014, 05:15:48 pm
Have an 03 electric start.  Battery died last fall so just replaced it.  Old girl fired up with no more effort than every other spring.  But no headlight.  Everything other light is fine.  Checked connections first & they were fine.  Took it off got out my alligator clip-tipped test wires & went at it straight from the battery.  One of the test lines has a bulb in it.  Clipped up, touched terminal, no headlight, ditto hi beam.  Seems obvious... But the bulb on the test line lights up even though the headlight doesn't.  So can I have a completed circuit & a burned out lamp? 

And if the short answer is yes, this being the old 6" one solid unit light, thoughts on going to 7", etc. 

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 05:34:26 pm
Could be a burned out bulb, although the headlamp circuit is on the AC alternator output, and not the battery.

7" headlight conversion is very nice, and looks good.
Lacks any aiming adjustments, but normally points in the right direction.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 05:50:16 pm
My Bullet already had the 7" conversion but I recently installed the Lucas Pre-focus headlight/standard bulb in it. It looks great with its curved profile and even without aiming capabilities it throws a good pattern. I think Hitchcocks has an upgraded halogen bulb for the pre-focus assembly for even better lighting. I believe any 7" headlight will be an improvement and is quite simple to swap in..

spyker

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 08:51:10 pm
Another quick question... if the bulb was good, would have running straight off the battery have it light up?

spyker

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 02:23:37 am
story's over, grabbed a bite, took the dog for her walk, went back pulled all the connections apart, cleaned everything up, hooked it all back together & its working.