Author Topic: Its Official! New Logo is real  (Read 4127 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
on: May 09, 2014, 08:04:26 pm
Take a look at the new look and tell me what you think.
I was surprised to see that even the winged tank logo has changed.

http://royalenfield.com/newstripes/

hogdad

• Scooter
  • 2012 C5 Military Special
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 09:19:25 pm
I can deal with the new look, but I'm glad that my 2012 still has the former.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2009 H-D Road Glide FLTR
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2000 H-D Electra Glide
1980 H-D FXS Low Rider
1979 H-D XLS Roadster
1978 Triumph Bonneville
1969 BSA Lightning
1966 BSA Lightning

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 01:09:03 am
Restyling is of all times and the vast majority of big brands do it. Some are successfull, some are not and some take time to get accustomed to. Which make it an enormous task with great consequences. The cost of a failed restyling is the need for a make-over and loss of credibility.

Overall my impression is moderate. I stand behind the brand colours: well chosen hue and saturation; I do like the Madras stripes. The drawing and lettering though are to my taste rather boring: I miss character strength, soul and thoughtfulness in the forming of lines and shapes.
The least successfull is the Brand Logo, which has a definite psychedelic swirl. It swept me right back into the 70's. Now I did love that period for the lack of nannies, hence vibrant might be applicable, contemporary not so much.

moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 02:04:16 am
I like the crest with the "Made Like a Gun" slogan. I would wear that on a T-shirt. I also like the Classic 500 badge it has a classic look to it. The Thunderbird badge I could do without, but then that is not my favourite bike either.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 05:40:29 am
I like the winged tank badge. The script is growing on me. I still think labelling something "Classic" has the opposite effect. Does anyone think a 1984 Caprice Classic is a "classic" car?

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 07:07:29 am
I like the winged tank badge. The script is growing on me. I still think labelling something "Classic" has the opposite effect. Does anyone think a 1984 Caprice Classic is a "classic" car?
Yes, I do.   ;)
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 01:18:01 pm
One interesting thing is that nobody was complaining about the traditional logo, or calling for the change. Just some "out of the blue" decision, apparently.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 04:00:27 pm
Eicher Motors moves very carefully, and deliberately. I think this is in their plan to expand the brand, especially outside India. The turn around at Royal Enfield will be studied in the future. Right now they are at about 250,000 motorcycles a year.

I think there really is room in the mid size motorcycle space for Royal Enfield to grow to a million motorcycles a year.

The new logo is growing on me.
I hope there is a 750cc parallel twin in the near future.

Candoman

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 11:14:54 pm
I would like to see a high pipe scrambler with knobby tires.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

hogdad

• Scooter
  • 2012 C5 Military Special
Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 11:44:21 pm
Quote from: Joel-in-dallas
The new logo is growing on me.
I hope there is a 750cc parallel twin in the near future.
[/quote

I am also interested in a 750cc parallel twin.

When I purchased my new BSA Lightning in 1966, I also looked at the Royal Enfield 750 twin on the showroom floor next to it, and considered it.  I never did test drive one.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2009 H-D Road Glide FLTR
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2000 H-D Electra Glide
1980 H-D FXS Low Rider
1979 H-D XLS Roadster
1978 Triumph Bonneville
1969 BSA Lightning
1966 BSA Lightning

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 12:06:16 am
Just IMHO, but I think that anyone who experiences the true extent of what the RE 500 can do, would forget all about thoughts of a 750 twin.
A well prepared RE 500 is quite a competent machine.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 02:06:37 am

A well prepared RE 500 is quite a competent machine.

I'm pretty sure it is. But the thing is, I didn't buy mine because of performance. I wanted the look, sound, and feel. I don't care if it only goes 60 mph (that's my own self imposed limit to avoid overstressing the engine) I have no need to go faster. I wanted the closest thing I could find to a new vintage bike, and the RE is it. Get rid of the cat con exhaust and the EFI, and it will be perfect. I almost wish I had bought one a few years ago and gotten an iron barrel. I also considered a real vintage Triumph, but it would have cost over twice what the Enfield did, and probably wouldn't have been as reliable.

If RE did come up with a twin, it would be a clean sheet design, it would probably be liquid cooled and have the EFI designed in, making it impossible to get rid of. I can even see ABS. That would be the end of RE as we know it.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 03:09:43 am
I would be very surprised if ABS won't be on the motorcycles soon. I don't remember when it is, but it will soon be a requirement for motorcycles sold in the European Union. Maybe its 2018 or 2019.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 04:01:33 am
I'm pretty sure it is. But the thing is, I didn't buy mine because of performance. I wanted the look, sound, and feel. I don't care if it only goes 60 mph (that's my own self imposed limit to avoid overstressing the engine) I have no need to go faster. I wanted the closest thing I could find to a new vintage bike, and the RE is it. Get rid of the cat con exhaust and the EFI, and it will be perfect. I almost wish I had bought one a few years ago and gotten an iron barrel. I also considered a real vintage Triumph, but it would have cost over twice what the Enfield did, and probably wouldn't have been as reliable.

If RE did come up with a twin, it would be a clean sheet design, it would probably be liquid cooled and have the EFI designed in, making it impossible to get rid of. I can even see ABS. That would be the end of RE as we know it.
Yes, I understand what you mean.

I just was making the point regarding the expressed sentiments to see an RE 750 twin, which is essentially a desire for a more powerful motorcycle.
It has been shown for years, that a well prepared Bullet can be extremely reliable, and also be as powerful and fast as the vintage RE Interceptor 750 or similar other Brit vintage 650 or 750 twin from the Golden Era.
And so, I was just pointing out that it doesn't take the larger displacement or twin cylinders to achieve that.  A 500/535 single can do it.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 05:07:10 am
A 500/535 single can do it.

I agree.  While im not at the 'Blackhawk or Fireball' level, i spent the afternoon tooling along between 60 and 70 with ease (AVL, w/ s Cams, stock head).  Able to over take at 85 (indicated).  Its nice to be able to do it when one needs or wants to  ::)
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra