Author Topic: This bolt  (Read 3063 times)

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
on: May 08, 2014, 02:49:45 pm
I wish I had a camera... I'll try to explain the location.

Under the bike - just behind the center stand mechanism - or the fulcrum point for where it folds back and up under the bike.  There is a bolt under the engine that looks like engine mounting support bolt?  It spans about 5-6 inches and has threads on the right side if you're sitting on the bike.  Somewhere along the road the nut worked itself out - and is now gone and disappeared.  Yay... so I was trying to find a proper nut - I cant remove the bolt either - it's blocked on the clutch side by the bike frame.  I didnt ride today because I'm not sure if this not being locked down tight will cause any damage.
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 03:07:04 pm
I believe that's the bolt that holds the mount to the frame. If it is I think you should get a nut and tighten it. It may be British thread depending on the year.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 04:10:54 pm
What year is your Bullet?
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 05:15:35 pm
I have a 2008 Iron 500 ES.  I grabbed a couple nuts last night - but both seemed to be the wrong size.  For the hell of it I grabbed both a metric and a standard size  - what looked to be right in size - but alas - neither wanted to thread in - the problem is when I put a nut in line with the bolt - they barely fit in the space - they keep hitting the clutch case bottom... if I get a slightly larger one I fear it wont fit in that space at all... dont know until I try it though.  Plus talk about annoying - I cant get anything in that space unless the center stand is up - making this a real pain on a garage floor with no lift to elevate the bike.  Needless to say I was a bit knackered after the struggle having my son hold the bike up while I toiled in angry fumbling with the nuts.  haha. 

It just occured to me --- when you say british thread - is that basically not "righty tighty" like US threading - but "lefty tighty?"  :P  threading it on turning counter-clockwise?  I'm at work so I cant do anything with it now.  I didnt even think to try that last night - DERP!
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 05:20:10 pm
I have a 2008 Iron 500 ES.  I grabbed a couple nuts last night - but both seemed to be the wrong size.  For the hell of it I grabbed both a metric and a standard size  - what looked to be right in size - but alas - neither wanted to thread in - the problem is when I put a nut in line with the bolt - they barely fit in the space - they keep hitting the clutch case bottom... if I get a slightly larger one I fear it wont fit in that space at all... dont know until I try it though.  Plus talk about annoying - I cant get anything in that space unless the center stand is up - making this a real pain on a garage floor with no lift to elevate the bike.  Needless to say I was a bit knackered after the struggle having my son hold the bike up while I toiled in angry fumbling with the nuts.  haha. 

It just occured to me --- when you say british thread - is that basically not "righty tighty" like US threading - but "lefty tighty?"  :P  threading it on turning counter-clockwise?  I'm at work so I cant do anything with it now.  I didnt even think to try that last night - DERP!

No, it's not a left hand thread.
A British thread is a different thread pitch, and neither SAE or Metric size nuts will work. I don't know the British size, but ERC probably knows it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 05:27:18 pm
Okey... just checked out the brit standard threading.  It seems like a 12m or 1/2 inch size is really close or right - but just with that correct thread pitch then.  Hmm.  I'll wait and see what else comes from ERC on size.  I guess I'd have to order one online then?  I doubt it's common in Austin Texas.   :-[
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 05:47:31 pm
Found this pic online - where that open end wrench is - that looks a lot like the nut I am missing - the location looks very similar - it's up against a flat piece of metal frame like that.  It's not one that is very easy to get to since I have to raise my center stand to get to it with a proper wrench.  Just tossing more info.

Thanks for any help you can give guys!  :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:50:40 pm by Phlakaton »
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 06:39:35 pm
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 07:27:20 pm
Possibly #27 in this illustration?
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbooks/pages/1638/Frame_Assembly

Sweet.  That really does look like the nut and washer that is missing.  That flange bolt is definately the bolt sitting there without the nut and washer.  It moves smoothly back and forth without the nut - butting up against the frame and vibrating when I throttle on.  1/2 inch BSF nut then?
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 07:57:09 pm
I would think a 2008 would have metric, maybe you just have the wrong pitch?

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 11:29:01 pm
Hi:
I've sourced nuts about that size when I removed the passenger foot pegs. I'm not sure yours are the same like mine but it's worth a try, if you never carry passengers. I don't so the pegs were unnecessary weight and I discovered uses for the fasteners when I took them off. May not work but it's worth a try.
Neil and Buzzy the Bullet.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 02:26:09 pm
If it's the one I'm thinking off it's 1/2x26 Bsc Cei thread.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 03:10:56 pm
ERC is correct. that nut is a 1/2" british standard fine thread on all models, even the metric bikes.
ACE Fireball 001

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 04:25:28 pm
Thank you so much fellas!  I think I have some good info to go from now.  :)
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 12:06:17 am
The one you need also has the flats cut down to take a 7/16 BS wrench not a 7/16 Whitworth wrench. The head is smaller to fit in place. I would think that your best bet is to contact CMW to see if they have any. The # you want is 143416. If not Hitchcocks has them.   ERC