Author Topic: New logo for royal Enfield??  (Read 5718 times)

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 02:34:53 am
If RE would like to have some modern designs, I guess that might be a good thing to attract those who prefer something modern looking. Those modern designs can go in what ever direction that they want, but I hope that they keep the classic models and keep them looking classic. Triumph has their Speedmaster... I used to own one, a real uncomfortable bike. Their t-bird looks too Japanese to me. I like the T-100's but would like them more if they had a spring solo seat like my C5.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 02:53:00 am
Triumph made their comeback with totally Japanese style bikes. John Bloor himself went to Japan to study Japanese design and manufacturing techniques. I was glad to see Triumph back, but wasn't interested in any of their first bikes. I did like the original Thunderbird Sport triple. Then they came out with the new Bonneville. It had a number of design flaws. The engine and gas tank looked bulbous and fat (I used to own a '66 Bonneville) it had those awful kinks in the header pipes just before the mufflers. None of this was necessary. The Kawasaki W650 was a far better looking Bonneville than the real thing. Looked like it came right out of the '60s. Unfortunately I missed my chance to buy one. Then came the America and Speedmaster. I've never ridden one, but to me they looked like some kind of a caricature. Part Triumph and part Japanese cruiser. But the worst thing I found about all of them, including the Kawasaki, as beautiful as it was, is that they were all boring. They ran like sewing machines. No sound or feel. My old Triumph had more vibration and sound than the RE, and I loved it. A used Sportster would have also had the sound and vibration, but they are so common. It came down to the RE, and I have loved every minute I have spent on it. It would be such a shame to see such a wonderful bike go Japanese.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 05:14:33 am
Triumph made ...
The Kawasaki W650 was a far better looking Bonneville than the real thing. Looked like it came right out of the '60s. ...
But the worst thing I found about all of them, including the Kawasaki, as beautiful as it was, is that they were all boring. They ran like sewing machines. No sound or feel. ...
My impressions exactly last summer when I test rode a newish Bonneville.  It looked marvelous, handled superbly, but it was evident at the end of the block that I would not buy it. 

It's too bad the SR400 is going to list at $6k in the states, otherwise I'd be all over it at $5k. 

As far as the "new" RE logo, remember that nothing stays the same forever.
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 07:59:51 am
Well, I sent an e-mail to the RE customer service asking about the new logos...and yes, they're official changes  :(  :o

Dear Sir,

We have made changes to our logos and Stickers, this is purely for a better and newer customer experience.

Regards,

Rajkumar
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 08:27:24 am
Well, I'll admit I was tragically, tragically wrong.

I guess now the Indian decal and trinket market will shift towards reproducing the previous badges!!

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 08:43:32 am
I myself was so sure that they are just custom decals that people were opting to 'adorn' their bikes. But nope, I was also proven wrong! So don't worry lol

And yes, the old stickers/logos will keep getting reproduced for a long time. I'm sure the majority of owners/enthusiasts will prefer the older stuff.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 12:19:40 pm
Hey, if Genuine can re-badge the Buddy for the American market there is no reason RE can't do the same. Sure H-D comes up with new script for its name but it doesn't change the Bar & Shield. Ever.

TomJohnston

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 01:01:16 pm
Nobody said "don't change it" as much as we said.........NOT SO UGLY  !!!!!!!!!!!

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 03:19:15 pm
You guys are too funny.  I don't think the logo is bad.  I prefer the old one, but I don't think the new one is bad at all, design wise.  Regardless of my preference, I think it's well executed.  To me it looks similar to the old one, but now very much Indian.  It's still pretty classy but looks more Indian than British, which shouldn't surprise anyone.  If I were split-hairs, I'd say the font is a touch too bold but  ::) 

Maybe they are owning the fact that RE is an Indian company, and not British.  The Dodgers aren't from Brooklyn anymore.  I don't think they really care what Americans think of the logo... I'm not sure we make a big enough drop in the sales bucket.  Easy enough to buy the old, British logo if you want it.

As far as brand recognition... even if the logo was changed to, "This bike is a Royal Enfield," people would still ask, "What kind of bike is that?"
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 03:23:25 pm
You are spot on about the "What kind of bike is that". I get that question in on the bike with the logo showing and a jacket with "Royal Enfield" in huge letters on the back. People just don't know the bikes because they see them so rarely.

Most folks are shocked that its so new as well. I love the bike and I am looking forward to another ride tonight.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 04:20:47 pm
Two days ago I showed my bike to a friend. "How do you like my Royal Enfield?" "Nice! Who makes that?" Well, she is blond.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 04:30:53 pm
So young grasshopper, before your first ride on your brandnew RE you may want to:
... (all the known things to unplug, change, swap, etc...)
but foremost
--- change the stickers  :o

Got the electra just in time, I guess. ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 08:04:50 pm
It real guys.
Here it is from the source.

http://royalenfield.com/newstripes/

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: May 09, 2014, 08:38:18 pm
I recently put British flag stickers on mine. I have had many people ask me what it is. I tell them it is a British bike now being made in India. The W650 is a Japanese copy of a British bike, but amazingly they got the look down solid, much better than Triumph, a real British bike (or used to be, they are now being made in Thailand)

"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #29 on: May 09, 2014, 10:36:14 pm
I recently put British flag stickers on mine. I have had many people ask me what it is. I tell them it is a British bike now being made in India. The W650 is a Japanese copy of a British bike, but amazingly they got the look down solid, much better than Triumph, a real British bike (or used to be, they are now being made in Thailand)
Hi Suitcase, Here is my added tank decal, a repro of an RE Redditch original, & a picture of the W650 I totaled last year. I loved it, & agree they did get it right. The Bonneville's are to Big, Heavy, & Asian for me.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure