Author Topic: No MIL Code for Rollover Sensor on My G5  (Read 9725 times)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #30 on: May 09, 2014, 06:38:06 pm
If you put the bike down and the sensor activates, you have to buy a new one at a cost of $350 and it can only be installed by a dealer...just kidding.
You put the bike back upright. turn the key off and then cycle it on and go on your merry way.
Can the Switch be disabled or removed? If I fell outrunning a Rhinoceros, it would be a lot more convenient not to have to wait around. How can I get rid of this Switch? (I am over 21, & bike is out of warrantee) Thanks,
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #31 on: May 09, 2014, 11:36:58 pm
No comment, If it were me I would also install a deadmans switch. That petrol pumps puts out 40 lbs of pressure. Sort of like a small firehose squirting gasoline. MIght be an interesting science experiment though! (kidding, do not sue me, do not do this at home)
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: May 09, 2014, 11:52:10 pm
GHG:

Did the same as you - disconnected the rollover sensor and got same results. MIL displayed the previously stored 3 older codes and then the LAST code was 1-Long and 5-short which represents rollover sensor.

This means a person will have to go through all the older codes before he sees the latest code - when trying to find out why the bike is not starting at the moment. 

I then proceeded further to get some more information. Once it is taken off camera, I will post it here. More discussion to follow :).

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #33 on: May 10, 2014, 12:04:33 am
Well, its nice that something good came out of this study.

We now know, the last trouble code is the latest one.

That could be useful for the motorcycles that have several old codes hanging around in the memory. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 12:16:48 am
 OH !  .... I have done the experiments .  You most definitely want it to shut off !  Like it was mentioned before... There ain't no float bowl on a throttle body.  The bike would probably run upside down, without something to kill the ignition and fuel !   Resets immediately... no waiting needed.

GHG:

Did the same as you - disconnected the rollover sensor and got same results. MIL displayed the previously stored 3 older codes and then the LAST code was 1-Long and 5-short which represents rollover sensor.

This means a person will have to go through all the older codes before he sees the latest code - when trying to find out why the bike is not starting at the moment. 

I then proceeded further to get some more information. Once it is taken off camera, I will post it here. More discussion to follow :).

Very cool Singh  ;)   Looking foward to what you have found....  It's a good thing to look deaper into these things. So maybe it helps someone down the line ?  You know... Like all them Video's maybe?  ;)

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #35 on: May 10, 2014, 05:20:49 pm
No comment, If it were me I would also install a deadmans switch. That petrol pumps puts out 40 lbs of pressure. Sort of like a small firehose squirting gasoline. MIght be an interesting science experiment though! (kidding, do not sue me, do not do this at home)

But isn't Singhg5's fuel pump priming when his sensor is upside down?  I would think it shouldn't operate at all...

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: May 11, 2014, 04:54:00 pm
The operating voltage of rollover sensor is 5V - just like throttle position sensor. I think they both have common source of power.

The OUTPUT signal voltage of rollover sensor is 0.6V at normal upright riding position. It increases to 3.9V when tipped.

I had expected it to be a real hi-tech electronic device with microelectronics and elaborate angular calculations / algorithms that compute mega data in seconds on the chip.

But it appears to be a simple device - TRUE to its RE heritage - simple inexpensive something that does a job ;D. Indian 'jugaad'. It is a 'narrow band' sensor, that alters output signal voltage.

What can I say, it is a 'mule' - my bike and also the sensor - kind of switch kind of sensor !!

BTW - GHG for you ;)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VITrkCT3hKM
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 04:57:33 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: May 11, 2014, 10:15:19 pm
Thanks for the good research and the  8) pictures.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 12:13:22 am
The operating voltage of rollover sensor is 5V - just like throttle position sensor. I think they both have common source of power.

The OUTPUT signal voltage of rollover sensor is 0.6V at normal upright riding position. It increases to 3.9V when tipped.

I had expected it to be a real hi-tech electronic device with microelectronics and elaborate angular calculations / algorithms that compute mega data in seconds on the chip.

But it appears to be a simple device - TRUE to its RE heritage - simple inexpensive something that does a job ;D. Indian 'jugaad'. It is a 'narrow band' sensor, that alters output signal voltage.

What can I say, it is a 'mule' - my bike and also the sensor - kind of switch kind of sensor !!

BTW - GHG for you ;)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VITrkCT3hKM

HAHAHA !!  No... no complicated calculus or Chinese arithmetic needed !  Excellent work Singh ! ;)   See that.... Now we all know what the readings should be if we suspect a problem with the rollover sensor. Outstanding !  No Voltage change when flipped.... bad sensor.  Pretty cool. What do you think Singh ?  Some kind of variable resister in there , Like the map sensor ?  Like I said, I could hear movement of some sort in there, did you hear it as well ?

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 09:44:25 pm
I hear that too. Kind like a ball rolling, I thought it was actuating a switch.
Is the increase in voltage linear or direct?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 03:37:18 pm

HAHAHA !!  No... no complicated calculus or Chinese arithmetic needed !  Excellent work Singh ! ;)   See that.... Now we all know what the readings should be if we suspect a problem with the rollover sensor. Outstanding !  No Voltage change when flipped.... bad sensor.  Pretty cool. What do you think Singh ?  Some kind of variable resister in there , Like the map sensor ?  Like I said, I could hear movement of some sort in there, did you hear it as well ?

I hear that too. Kind like a ball rolling, I thought it was actuating a switch.
Is the increase in voltage linear or direct?

It did not show linear change in voltage proportional to change in angle. Instead it jumped from one reading to another - from lo voltage to high voltage and vice-a-versa. It only senses two positions - like the narrow band oxygen sensor on RE.

On the other hand TPS and MAP sensors respond progressively with change in throttle position and air pressure in manifold, respectively, producing linear response curves.

There were construction crew noises around me that drowned any low sound and I was turning it slowly to see gradual angular changes in voltage so did not hear rattle inside.  But from everything we know and from your observations, there has to be something moving from one side to another that alters its output voltage.           

PS - Anything RE, it has to rattle :D !
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:40:06 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 07:39:52 pm
Aye, aye, sir.
 ;D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 01:12:44 am
 I'm thinking it could be something like this.  Very low pitched rattle when shaken right next to your ear.

http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/100/556/651/651556100_529.jpg

If it is something like that, it WOULD be very simple and reliable.  Similar to those old round Honeywell thermostats, with the mercury "ball switch"..... Simple and last forever.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:19:40 am by gashousegorilla »

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #43 on: May 20, 2014, 03:56:31 am
If only I had paid attention to this thread last week, I wouldn't have found myself in the parking lot at work, sitting on the ground next to my bike, with the tank in my lap trying to check the fuel pump screen for paint blockage. Not at all embarrassing.

But, thanks guys. Good stuff.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.