Author Topic: No MIL Code for Rollover Sensor on My G5  (Read 9753 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 06, 2014, 06:00:58 am
There were 3 MIL codes stored in my G5 - TPS, Temperature and Crank Position. However, when rollover sensor was turned over, there was no new code ! Only the previously stored codes were repeated !

Shouldn't new codes be displayed ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I8ipAiZFGs

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 07:51:47 am
roll over sensor does not produce a code
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 12:21:46 pm
My B5 manual states that the "rollover sensor circuit malfunctioning" will produce a 1-long, 5-short MIL blink code, and that the engine will crank, but not start.

But, turning the sensor over, thus activating it and preventing the engine starting, isn't really a malfunction, is it?  So maybe sensor activation shouldn't throw a code...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 02:10:19 pm
No fault in the circuit or sensor, no code.  I bet if it was unplugged or one of those wires were snipped, you would get a code. When the bike stalled, the mil light did come on......
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 04:16:08 pm
No fault in the circuit or sensor, no code.  I bet if it was unplugged or one of those wires were snipped, you would get a code. When the bike stalled, the mil light did come on......

No.  There was no MIL light.

Service Manual states that for a Rollover Sensor circuit malfunction "MIL will glow continuous. Engine will NOT Start but will crank".

In my G5, half the statement is true and other half not so.

The idea of having MIL blinks is to quickly determine where is the source of engine stall or or not performing to its potential. Any circuit cut off - due to bad sensor or breakage of wires / connections - should produce a signal provided that sensor is sending/receiving input to/from ECU and is programmed to produce blinks. These MIL blinks are for detecting fault in circuit (incomplete) as well as sensor. (Essentially it is incomplete circuit when sensor is bad).

While riding if the rollover sensor screw comes loose and sensor tips over the bike will stall. How will the rider know where to look for the source of cut off ? MIL blinks would immediately point to the rider hey take off the seat and look for rollover sensor - something is wrong there ! That is just my thought. 

Anyone wants to confirm if your bike produces 1 Long and 5 Short blinks while the sensor is tipped over ?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:24:52 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 05:09:37 pm
OH NO ANOTHER SWITCH!  I thought the Kill Button was for roll overs. Darn, is there anyway to deactivate this additional nanny state carbuncle?
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 06:40:11 pm
No.  There was no MIL light.

Service Manual states that for a Rollover Sensor circuit malfunction "MIL will glow continuous. Engine will NOT Start but will crank".

In my G5, half the statement is true and other half not so.

The idea of having MIL blinks is to quickly determine where is the source of engine stall or or not performing to its potential. Any circuit cut off - due to bad sensor or breakage of wires / connections - should produce a signal provided that sensor is sending/receiving input to/from ECU and is programmed to produce blinks. These MIL blinks are for detecting fault in circuit (incomplete) as well as sensor. (Essentially it is incomplete circuit when sensor is bad).

While riding if the rollover sensor screw comes loose and sensor tips over the bike will stall. How will the rider know where to look for the source of cut off ? MIL blinks would immediately point to the rider hey take off the seat and look for rollover sensor - something is wrong there ! That is just my thought. 

Anyone wants to confirm if your bike produces 1 Long and 5 Short blinks while the sensor is tipped over ?

Interesting Singh.  When you stalled the bike by turning over the sensor, The MIL light did not come on  before you reset the key?  And I agree with you , that it would be better to quickly narrow it down to one particular sensor in the event that is should loosen and pop off. Instead of having to look at all five other options in the book.  I have noticed with mine, if I have a Mil light on. When I hook up the wire to ground, and then turn the key back on, I wont get a Mil light glowing..... But it will go right to the codes. So I'm thinking, and you may have done this? ..... That with the sensor flipped over  and you tried to restart the bike in that state, Your bike would just crank and not start,and your Mil would glow.  Then you would need to go to the book, and go through the five options. 

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 10:59:51 pm

That with the sensor flipped over  and you tried to restart the bike in that state, Your bike would just crank and not start,and your Mil would glow. Then you would need to go to the book, and go through the five options. 

BEFORE GROUNDING THE SINGLE POLE CONNECTOR

With the sensor flipped over and turning on ignition key - the MIL did NOT glow continuously. Instead MIL behaved exactly normal - came on for a few seconds for priming the pump and then turned itself OFF. Press the start button, the engine cranks and cranks but does NOT start.

It is shown in the video, may be you did not get a chance to see it fully.

In one sense the rollover sensor is sending information to ECU as if bike is on its side and stops engine from starting. HOWEVER, there was no clue from MIL light that a sensor is creating this problem and which one is it. The rider may check all other switches or go in wrong direction seeking solution. He could still miss looking at the real cause and go around in circles for a long time.     

Rollover Sensor Code in Service Manual
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:07:30 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 11:15:31 pm
There were no "roll over switch" fault codes because the roll over switch is working fine.

The fault codes are created during the boot up interval while the MIL is glowing steady after the ignition key is turned on.  If the computer detects a faulty switch or wiring connection during this boot up period it stores the error.

The roll over switch shutting off the engine when the motorcycle tips over isn't a fault.  It's doing what it is designed to do.

As for the need of such a switch, IMO, if it was an old carburetor style machine it wouldn't make much difference but with a fuel injected machine something is needed to immediately shut off the fuel pump if the bike goes down.
If the fuel line was broken or torn loose and there was not some sort of safety switch the pump would merrily continue to pump fuel out all over the motorcycle and possibly the rider.  Not good if it catches fire. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 12:13:29 am
With the sensor flipped over and turning on ignition key - the MIL did NOT glow continuously. Instead MIL behaved exactly normal - came on for a few seconds for priming the pump and then turned itself OFF. Press the start button, the engine cranks and cranks but does NOT start.

...with a fuel injected machine something is needed to immediately shut off the fuel pump if the bike goes down.
If the fuel line was broken or torn loose and there was not some sort of safety switch the pump would merrily continue to pump fuel out all over the motorcycle and possibly the rider.  Not good if it catches fire. :(

Arizoni's comment makes sense, but Singhg5's actual test shows something a bit different: if the sensor is turned over simulating a dropped bike, why is the fuel pump still working (you can hear it prime up in the video)?  When the bike stalls due the the rollover sensor activating, is that merely killing the ignition or spark, or is it shutting off the fuel?  I wonder if the pump would continue to run if, in this condition, there was a leak?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 12:33:58 am
The fault codes are created during the boot up interval while the MIL is glowing steady after the ignition key is turned on.  If the computer detects a faulty switch or wiring connection during this boot up period it stores the error.

Codes represent a circuit malfunction, which includes wiring, connection, switches....  When that circuit breaks, it is considered a fault (irrespective of component responsible for circuit breakdown). During the boot up period the ciruit WAS broken with upside down sensor in my case or it could have been broken wires at that time or any other component.

The current does not flow if there is a missing switch, or broken wire or switch is turned off (as upside down rollover sensor would do by its design). The computer is only detecting flow of current or lack of current. The computer does not know why current does not flow. The computer does not know if the switch is turned off or a wire is disconnected.

When the rollover switch is upside down, the current stops flowing and ECU knows that rollover sensor circuit has some problem and it stops engine in its tracks. So the ECU is behaving the way it is programmed to do.

The codes are there to point the rider in right direction so that he can find out which component caused the circuit breakdown. 

Do you want to do a test on your bike and let me know what you see ?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:50:00 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 12:41:08 am
Arizoni's comment makes sense, but Singhg5's actual test shows something a bit different: if the sensor is turned over simulating a dropped bike, why is the fuel pump still working (you can hear it prime up in the video)? 

When the bike stalls due the the rollover sensor activating, is that merely killing the ignition or spark, or is it shutting off the fuel? I wonder if the pump would continue to run if, in this condition, there was a leak?

You are right that in my G5 the fuel pump kept working BUT ignition was cut off.

However the Service Manual says that rollover sensor circuit malfunction will cut off fuel supply to injector AND the ignition.

Perhaps something may be amiss in my bike ! 

Only one thing worked - the bike did NOT start.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 06:26:06 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 12:53:08 am
On a side note: should the rollover sensor switch off immediately as Arizoni stated?

When I was in doubt whether mine was functioning I did some tests. It works all right, but it takes a noticeable amount of time (app. 20-30 sec) before it turns the engine off.

moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 01:51:33 am
On a side note: should the rollover sensor switch off immediately as Arizoni stated?

When I was in doubt whether mine was functioning I did some tests. It works all right, but it takes a noticeable amount of time (app. 20-30 sec) before it turns the engine off.

It took a few seconds to turn off engine.

Any details of what you did and what you saw.

What prompted you to do the test? Did you check with ignition key on and sensor tipped enough to stall engine if MIL light glow continuously at that moment ? 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:04:12 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 03:50:01 am
  BEFORE GROUNDING THE SINGLE POLE CONNECTOR

It is shown in the video, may be you did not get a chance to see it fully.

In one sense the rollover sensor is sending information to ECU as if bike is on its side and stops engine from starting. HOWEVER, there was no clue from MIL light that a sensor is creating this problem and which one is it. The rider may check all other switches or go in wrong direction seeking solution. He could still miss looking at the real cause and go around in circles for a long time.     

Rollover Sensor Code in Service Manual

No , I did not see that in the video. I just checked again.  What I see is your bike stalling when you turn the sensor upside down. Then you hook up the wire, then I see the key off and you trying to start the bike.  My point was, or what I was wondering was..... before you hooked up the wire did the Mil light come on ?  When the bike stalled ?  AND before grounding out the wire with the key on ? And stay on ? And again... I agree it should be narrowed down and get a fault code when flipped. BUT, I'm thinking..... That is not how it is set up. It is not a two wire switch, where the contacts would break , and you would have an open circuit triggering a code.  It is a three wire sensor, so there may be a path.....

If the bike goes down, it sound like it cuts the ignition.  So the bike stalls and the fuel pump shuts down.  No ignition, no rotation at the rotor seen by the pulsar coil as it stops.... No pump.  Unless one tries to start the bike laying on the ground with a ruptured tank ? The bikes still wound not start...and the pump would only run, while someone was pushing in the start button. But like you say, the book says otherwise ?  So something is wrong with the book or your bike?  My bet it's the book....  I'll see what mine does.