Author Topic: Super nervous about s cam installation  (Read 6425 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 03:31:33 am
Why is that ace?  I had to do a lot of engine spinning to make certain I had no valve interference.
Well, it was just a cautionary note for those who aren't too savvy with knowing how to do cam timing, so they don't get lost. If the engine is at TDC, and the cam dots are lined-up, then you can't really get into trouble.
If the cams are out, and the engine gets rotated, then it can be a bit daunting for a newbie to figure out how to get back home again.

The engine can be rotated after the cams are put in with them on the dots, and then TDC and cam dot alignment can be recovered and verified. If the one-tooth retarding must be done, then it should be done with the engine placed back at TDC, and the dots aligned first, and then the inlet cam plucked out of engagement and rotated one-tooth counterclockwise, and then placed back into engagement with the teeth of the exhaust cam.

For people who understand the process, this warning is not really needed.
But for a person who is "super nervous" and has no idea what he is doing, it might be good to stay safe.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 04:56:39 am
Got it! Thanks. ;D  I had an interesting time offering the cover back up (not hard, but did a few trials).  Specifically to get it as flush as possible i needed to spin the worm gear to engage the oil pump gear.  If i recall, I had to apply gentle pressure and lift at the same time.  My first thought on your statement was with regards to getting the spindle gear back aligned to the worm... I still have a very slight leak there at the bottom; right at that locating / spacing pin.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 05:33:53 pm
I Appreciate all the feedback, and thank you all.  Im going to wait until the Gasket gets here to do it.  I dont think i should be running into any more bumps.  Do i need to buy anything else to cover the decompressor?

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 06:18:20 pm
Nothing special needed. A small flat head screw driver, needle nose may come in handy and patience. It's the little circlip that's a pita. I worked my up and over once out of the ring. Then the lifter just slips right off. It's v easy but small and fiddly.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

mattjohnson207

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 01:16:08 am
Haven't started mine yet but watching intently.
                                Another nervous mechanic
                                 Matt in Glendale

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 08:24:19 pm
currently have it all apart. I guess i didnt realize that there was going to be a hole left after i took the decompressor off :( so ill have to figure out how to plug it up.  Also i Installed the inlet cam one tooth retarded.  I honestly dont know if there is any valve interference.  Would it be a loud noise if there was any???

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 09:18:42 pm
The decompressor on the AVL is a valve lifter.
There is no "hole".
Maybe you can take a picture of said "hole", or describe where said "hole" is, and we can help.

If you install the cams retarded, if they didn't need to be retarded, it is not a good idea.

Valve interference would be obvious because when you turn the engine SLOWLY by hand, with the spark plug out, you would encounter resistance of the valve hitting the piston. IF that happened, you would not want to turn the engine any further, or you will bend your valve.

I'm a little concerned, because you appear to be in this WAY over your head.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 10:04:48 pm
currently have it all apart. I guess i didnt realize that there was going to be a hole left after i took the decompressor off :( so ill have to figure out how to plug it up.  Also i Installed the inlet cam one tooth retarded.  I honestly dont know if there is any valve interference.  Would it be a loud noise if there was any???

The easiest way to fill the hole in the tappet cover where the lifter gizmo went through is to replace the cover with a tappet cover from an Iron Barrel.

Bill Harris has one of his S cams installed one tooth retarded to avoid interference which was due to the way his particular head was machined.

You might PM him to ask which cam it is.

His Harris Scrambler is quick despite the revised cam timing and has earned him the new nickname "Hole Shot".

No matter where you go, there, you are.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 10:17:47 pm
Thanks, Ice, for clarifying that "hole" for me.

And +1 on using an Iron Barrel tappet cover as the solution.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 10:21:23 pm
It is the inlet cam which has to be retarded in some cases [two that I know of, including the Bill Harris machine]. I have already explained the procedure in the topic 'S Cams', as I have already pointed out in this thread and I have exchanged e-mails with anyone who bought my cams, as required, to get the job done right. Yours came second hand from Hitchcocks, but they should be the same as mine in any case.
 Read what I have already written about fitting them, be careful and it should all be ok. If you are having doubts, best get some help with it. The decompressor lever and cable were just left on the two machines I upgraded, they just didn't do anything anymore.
 B.W.