Author Topic: Super nervous about s cam installation  (Read 6429 times)

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
on: May 06, 2014, 02:14:29 am
Ive never done anything like this mod.  I would appreciate some pointers. special tools that ill need?  step by step?

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 09:11:23 am
I described how to go about fitting the 'S' cams on page 3 of your thread called 'S cams'.
 B.W.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 04:10:23 pm
I pulled the push rods out while replacing the cams. Also, don't forget to remove the exhaust pushrod lifter.

A couple of things to note:  make sure to check the new cams spin freely (without compression or push rods) and there are no tight spots as you turn the motor. If so, you may need to adjust the cam lash. If you do adjust those eccentric spindles, do your research!  Make those too tight and you'll have problems shortly.
As noted by BWs instructions, make sure there is no interference. 
When replacing the timing cover, ease it on and gently spin motor via kick start and apply pressure to the cover to engage the oil pump gears. It'll make sense once you see it and try to replace the cover.

The longest part of this for me was removing the old gasket material. You'll need a new gasket but no special tools needed.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 04:37:31 pm
is permatex form a gasket good enough as a gasket?

Adrian

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 11:47:01 pm
As the joint faces on the timing cover and crank case include some fairly small but vitally important drilled holes for the feed and and scavenge oilways I would want to use (after cleaning, as DanB reminds us) a proper gasket from our hosts with a thin smear of jointing compound or even high melting point grease, having a certain paranoia about the risk of excess instant gasket causing blocked oilways.

I checked the Permatex web site, suggested applications do include valve covers, which might be a better place to use it.

Regards,

A.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 12:52:52 am
is permatex form a gasket good enough as a gasket?

Not really.
The timing cover gasket serves as a spacer which is involved in setting cam end-play. Get a fresh timing cover gasket, definitely
If you change cams, it is a good idea to get some extra cam shims and set the thing up dry, and check to see that the timing cover does not bind the cams up tight when it is tightened down. The way this is done is to put some shims on each cam spindle after the cams are already on there. Then, put the timing cover on, and lightly tighten it down. If the engine binds up when you do this, you need to remove a shim from each cam, and try again. When you reach a point where you have removed just enough shims to allow the timing cover to be put on and tightened down without binding up the engine, then you have it set.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:58:15 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 03:26:14 am
The timing cover gasket serves as a spacer which is involved in setting cam end-play. Get a fresh timing cover gasket, definitely

Forgot that part. This is very important.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 01:23:13 pm
is the origanal gasket unusable? i took the primary cover off once and reused that one.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 01:53:23 pm
is the origanal gasket unusable? i took the primary cover off once and reused that one.
If it is not damaged after you remove the timing cover, you should be able to re-use it. Sometimes it gets destroyed during disassembly.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 02:26:34 pm
anything special needed to remove the decomp??

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 03:54:37 pm
took ten allen head screws off and the timing cover still wont come off....

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 04:20:19 pm
Thats the old gasket holding it in place. Had same problem with mine. It had been 'glued'. I used a putty knife and razor blade. That will destroy the gasket.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 04:57:56 pm by DanB »
2006 AVL Electra

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 05:02:29 pm
took ten allen head screws off and the timing cover still wont come off....

I would also take the quill bolt out.
At the top of the "horn" where the distributer used to be on the old Iron Barrel bikes, there is a little tab of aluminum that hangs over the edge where you can tap with a rubber mallet to try to separate the timing cover off the engine.

Remember that when you take the timing cover off, you need to sort of rotate it out of engagement with the worm nut that drives the oil pumps, by about 1/8 turn toward the left.
Once you take off the timing cover, try very hard to not rotate the crankshaft or turn the engine by any other way, until you put everything back on.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 07:35:22 pm
I would agree that this is a part where the gasket should be used and not a sealant of some sort. You can (and I often times do) put a light coat of grease on the gasket, but even that is not really needed. In the case of one that isn't baked on you will see that it was installed with no grease and no sealer.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 02:48:29 am
Once you take off the timing cover, try very hard to not rotate the crankshaft or turn the engine by any other way, until you put everything back on.

Why is that ace?  I had to do a lot of engine spinning to make certain I had no valve interference.
2006 AVL Electra