Author Topic: 1996 Bullet engine backfire ?  (Read 5654 times)

woodythx138

• Scooter
on: August 05, 2007, 06:45:40 am
Ok another question here , after getting home this great little bike I finaly got around to fireing it off , now I was aware prior to buying it that it had some issues with timing or carb  and that there were new push rods installed for what ever reason, So upon trying to fire it off , it back fires through the carb and fails to start up ? He installed a electronic ignition system from Power Arc and I am woundering if it's A) wired right B) timed right or are the valves set to tight. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks for any and all help or suggestions that come my way. The other question I also have is would a 5 speed box work on the 1996 engine. Thanks Again Chris

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 05:56:13 pm
I would check the timing, valves, carb, and change oil and filter. Sounds like timing to me, but the other things need checking anyway. Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

woodythx138

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 03:57:57 am
Hey thanks for the tips, I just thought I would mention I spent about four ours today trying to
dial the timing in and after thinking I got it , it tried to fire off twice for a short time and then nothing. So on the electronic ign set up , were exactly do you set the timing at, right at top dead center or before or after , I might end up putting the points stuff back in and forget the
electronic stuff. Also were do you adjust the valves at , after pulling the rocker box off I didn't see any place to adjust it, I susupect its in the small removable cover on the side of the engine. Thanks Chris

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 07:08:07 am
If I am trying to get something running & there seems to be more than one potential problem keeping it from working, I try to eliminate as many as possible. If I suspected valve adjustments were too tight, I would adjust them but wouldnt even try to get them exact, just loose enough to not hold valves open, As soon as I get it started I would worry about getting things just right. Timing I would set in a mild position, not very advanced at all. If you have spark I would guess the ignition is wired okay.Now, you gotta get a fuel air mix in the jug, squeeze it & light it off. I would pull the plug & crank it & see if I could tell if there was a decent mix in there. If so, look at the plug against the jug & check for spark. Then stick a finger over the plug hole & see what kinda compressioin it has & pull the air filter & stick a hand across the intake & see what kinda suction it has. If all that stuff seems like its good enough to run, even if it seems wimpy, will it run at all? Then I would have to check the timing out.That kick starter will be handy there. With the plug against the jug bring the piston to TDC & see if it sparks there or if its off so far it wouyld be impossible for it to run. You should be able to work thru it. I have zero experience on these engines & maybe I am off by a mile, but if it was in my driveway, thats how I would go at it.

woodythx138

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 05:41:20 pm
Hey thanks for the tip Justin , I am however all over it and have done almost everything you mentioned , I tried again to ire it off so I think this weekend I am going to re-install the old points system and give it a go , I am getting plenty of gas and need to double check on the fire to the plug deal , The valves were not out very much at all , just a we bit on the intake side.The fun will be in rewireing in the points system, I will have to read up on the wireing and make sure thats in order. It's kind of funny the other day it almost fired off and then nothing, so I went through all the steps to get it to TDC and reset everything as it should be and tried it and nothing, interesting.Well will run through all the steps again after I re-install the points system and see what that brings.Everything else seams fine, getting pretty good at getting the tank off and rocker box's off. You have to love it though , the joy and adventure of an early bike or car is what it's all about. Thanks Chris

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 02:05:26 am
Are you getting spark? Pull the sparkplug out of the engine and put the plug wire back on it, then ground the plug against the engine and kick or crank it over. You should see a nice white-blue spark jump from the center electrode on the plug. If you do have spark you need to verify that it is occuring at around 8 degrees before TDC on the compression stroke. Remove the valve adjuster cover and you should be able to easily tell when both the intake and exhaust valves are closed and the piston is on it's upward stroke. The two contacts on your ignition, the one that rotates and the fixed one, should be aligning themselves when you are near TDC. If the timing looks close and you have no spark then the problem is probably in the wiring or the ignition unit itself. Make sure that the battery is fully charged and the fuse is good. Let us know what you find...we can work through this.

woodythx138

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 05:14:56 pm
Ok will do I plan on giving it one more go before I ditch the electronic stuff , I will go through the steps once more and make sure I didn't overlook anything. Thanks for all the input .
Chris

woodythx138

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 01:33:56 am
Holy crap I got it going, after some detective work I found a few problems and made the corrections and it fired on the first kick. Ok the deal was the plug wire at the coil side wasn't makeing any contact , the little red wire that connects to the coil was brocken from the spade connector, and the timing was off a bit . So now I have a new question at the exaust pipe location at the head is there supposed to be a gasket in there or some sore of a flange to keep the exaust from comeing out at this point or will the pipe expand when hot and seal it up. Thnks for all the help now off for a ride. Chris

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 02:41:43 am
You have a couple of choices here. All Bullet exhaust pipes leak, some more than others. It does not harm except to perhaps offend your sense of order. One the pipe has been removed once, the exhaust port is not longer the same size. There are a few routes to take here;
1. Do nothing
2. Buy a muffler pipe expander and GENTLY expand the pipe. I cannot stress how careful you need to be doing this. If you expand it too much you will have to buy a new pipe.
3. Probably the most often used method is to install a exhaust clamp http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/finned-exhaust-clamp-steel-alloy-pi-330.html?image=0[/img]  http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/finned-exhaust-clamp-steel-alloy-p-330.html They look good, the do help cool the head a bit and used in combination with some exhaust paste
(http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/exhaust-assembly-paste-p-6540.html). The paste helps fill in any extra space and in combination with the exhaust clamp does a good job.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com