Author Topic: GPS for a C5 Military, Yes or No?  (Read 1883 times)

Drew F.

• Scooter
  • 2014 Military C5
on: May 01, 2014, 09:58:57 pm
Hello everyone!
I recently became an owner a beautiful 2014 C5 Military. I LOVE IT! However I must ask a question here. Can I install a GPS on this bike? Here is the back story, to what is becoming a bit of a dilemma. I purchased a Tom Tom Rider along with a Battery Tender Jr. Last Saturday I installed both units on my bike. Very simple. Here is where my problem starts. Upon restarting the engine was sputtering and stalling. Plus the MIL indicator lit up and remained lit. So, I immediately disconnected the GPS and Battery Tender and hooked the battery back up. Upon starting the bike again the condition remained. Sputtering and stalling, I was able to drive the bike around the block but it ran rough. And the MIL has remained lit. Now this bike only has 130 miles on it since I purchased it, and I am an experience rider. But this is my first RE. When I talked to the dealer he indicated I should not of installed the GPS, he suggested I buy a stronger more dependable battery on it and see if that works. Anyway, I bought the battery, installed it and although the bike is running somewhat smoother and not popping as much, the MIL still remains on. However, due to bad weather here I have not been able to give it a good ride as my dealer suggested. But now I am concerned about riding it with the warning light on. But dealer said it may go out. Anyway, I can't understand why the dealer or RE (I called their tech support too). Could not give me a straight answer about using a GPS. Sorry for such a long story, but anyone out there have any suggestions or answers. I am hoping I can "ride out" the problem and not have to rent a trailer to take the bike back to the dealer 50 miles away.
Thanks!
Drew

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:51:14 pm
After mentioning that this area of the Forum is for the old Iron Barrel classics instead of the fuel injected modern engine RE's I'll just say that I don't think your GPS had anything to do with your problem.
Several people here use their GPS on their RE's.

Every time you start your motorcycle the computer goes out and checks the various sensors on the engine.
If one or more of them are not working properly the light comes on and the fault code is stored in the memory.

Under the seat or close to the computer you should find a single wire with a connector that is not hooked up to anything.  This is the special grounding wire that you need to temporary attach to a good bare metal ground.

When grounded out, when the key is turned on the MIL will blink a series of short and long flashes.
You need to count the number and type of flashes and then compare the code to the chart below.

This is the Royal Enfield MIL blink codes

MIL BLINK CONTENT
Engine will start but not perform to its potential. MIL will glow continuous
LONG 0 SHORT 6 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 0 SHORT 9 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 1 SHORT 1 Engine oil Temperature (TE) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 1 SHORT 7 O2 Sensor circuit malfunctioning
LONG 4 SHORT 5 O2 Sensor heater circuit malfunctioning

Engine will NOT Start but will crank. MIL will glow continuous
LONG 1 SHORT 5 Rollover Sensor circuit malfunctioning
LONG 3 SHORT 3 Injector circuit malfunctioning
LONG 3 SHORT 7 Ignition Coil circuit malfunctioning
LONG 4 SHORT 1 Fuel Pump circuit malfunctioning
LONG 6 SHORT 6 Crankshaft position circuit malfunctioning

After finding which part of the system is causing the fault, let us know what it is and we might be able to help you find the offending part.

The fault may be because the sensor is not working or it may be because one or more of the wires in the circuit is loose or disconnected.

I am very surprised the dealer didn't tell you about this.  I'm even more surprised he didn't tell you to bring your motorcycle in so he could fix the problem.

Oh.   There is another disconnected wire that has several wires leading to the connector.
This is not the wiring to ground out.  Leave it alone.  It is there for the dealer to hook his Fault Scanner to so he can get more information about the problem.  The trouble with this is, no dealer in the entire USA has one of these scanners because of the high cost of them.   Anyway, leave that bundle disconnected and don't mess with it.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Drew F.

• Scooter
  • 2014 Military C5
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:43:38 pm
Thank you very very much Jim. Yeah not so sure about the dealer, seems like he couldn't be bothered. Kinda pissed I drop $5,500.00 cash for the bike and I get very vague answers the first issue I have. I did take it out for a short ride tonight and it is running better, but light still on. I will try your advice! Thanks again!

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 01:06:42 am
Just remember to break it in! ;)
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 01:18:07 am
FYI, I'm pretty sure the Battery Tender manual states not to run the bike with the Battery Tender connected.  You're also only supposed to connect the Battery Tender to AC power after you've already connected the Battery Tender to the battery.

I don't think that would cause your bike any problems however.

Also, If I recall correctly, both my Toyota and my Subaru have an ECU that resets itself when battery power is disconnected completely from the vehicle.  When reconnected, the ECU "learns" how the car runs for the first few miles or so.  My Toyota especially runs roughly for about 30 miles or so after I've had the battery disconnected.  May be the RE works the same way?

Cheers,

Dan K.

Drew F.

• Scooter
  • 2014 Military C5
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 02:33:36 am
Thanks Dan!
Yes did everything right with the battery tender.
I'll run the RE for a bit and see what happens!
Thanks for your time and advice!
Drew