Author Topic: Scottie J's Thought Of The Day  (Read 43915 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #90 on: June 26, 2014, 10:54:00 pm
So I didn't get the job at the custom shop but that hasn't stopped me from looking for something better.  I have another hands on interview Monday morning at 9 am for a place called Dent Wizard, you may have seen them around your town.  Sounds like I'd actually get to do a bit of traveling around town to different dealerships and car rental places so that might be fun and different.  :)  I'm not too terribly keen on working for a corporation again, but hey, you never know.  At least they offer benefits and all that fun stuff.  ;)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #91 on: June 29, 2014, 03:06:14 pm
So a little update, I actually have 2 interviews lined up for Monday.  The second I was originally just applying for Body/Painters helper.  But after I set up the interview I noticed that the same shop is also hiring a body shop manager, which I am perfectly qualified for with 3 years of retail management experience and 9 years of in the auto body/collision world.  So I think I am going to bring that up when I go to interview.  I don't mind taking a pay cut for something better and closer to home, but it's kind of stupid to take 3 steps backwards.  You know?

In a little bit here I am going over to my buddies house to lay down some metallic blue paint on his side covers and tank for his 78 KZ750.  I was thinking this morning that I have some left over pearl coat with Badd Azz Blu and Diamond White already mixed up so I may just throw that on there to hook up a friend and make his bike extra sexy.   8)

Scottie J

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #92 on: June 29, 2014, 04:15:12 pm
good luck on the interviews...
    we're gonna need some pics of this...
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #93 on: June 29, 2014, 04:42:13 pm
Good luck and keep it even keel...The management job should  pay more for dealing with the headaches associated with the position..You have a good attitude and sound ready for something different...Don't shoot yourself in the foot....Lots of people do.....Peace Bro..GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: June 30, 2014, 02:54:32 pm
Alright!  Time to show these employers what is up!    8)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #95 on: June 30, 2014, 05:06:17 pm
You go, girlfriend!!!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #96 on: June 30, 2014, 08:19:28 pm
Well, today didn't play out too well.  I went to my first interview and the manager shows up up 30 minutes late.  Fine whatever.  Then he starts explaining the commission program and bottom line is I would only be grossing $2000 a month for the first 2 months before I got my first commission.  Ummmm, ok.  Then he asks me if I can give him a demo and I'm thinking he's going to have me spray a fender or a door or something.  Nope, he has a F350 that just came out of body work and wants me to prep, mask and spray the entire boxside and rear door of the truck.  Basically wanted me to do about 5 hours worth of work for free to show him what I know.  Yeah, I think not.

Second interview the guy calls me and leaves a message asking if we had an appointment today or not and to call him back to verify.  (For fucks sake people.   ::)  )  I call him back and told him that it would be silly for me to take a job as a helper when I've been doing body work and paint for 9 years and I mentioned that I was interested in the body shop manager position.  All was good until he asked if I knew how to do estimates.  I said that I have done several hand written estimates on the computer but that I haven't had the opportunity to use AutoDax or anything like that.  And of course that is a requirement to be a manager.  He did mention something about getting my foot in the door and learning the program and getting promoted.  But the only opening he had was a body man position in Castle Rock.  But that would defeat the purpose of trying to find a job closer to home.  I told him that I would keep in touch with him and that if anything came up that would be suiting for me to give me a call.

I guess that's 3 strikes.  That's ok, I still have 2 more outs before the inning is over.  :)  You know what?  My Monday afternoon just cleared up for a conference meeting with the Blackhawk, the open road and myself in the saddle.   8)

Scottie J

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #97 on: June 30, 2014, 09:10:04 pm
Sorry to hear you didn't get any of the jobs, but getting jobs for the last few years has become a real PITA. No one wants, or has, to pay anything and regardless of what the pols say about the improving economy and job availability, I would still place the real unemployment figures for closer to 30%. Most of the unemployed have just given up looking. I gave up several years ago. Be glad you still have a job!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #98 on: June 30, 2014, 10:17:16 pm
Oh I'm not complaining by any means.  I could have taken either of the jobs today but I just want feeling it.  I'm making good money now, just the shop sucks.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: June 30, 2014, 10:44:22 pm
Sorry to hear you didn't get any of the jobs, but getting jobs for the last few years has become a real PITA. No one wants, or has, to pay anything and regardless of what the pols say about the improving economy and job availability, I would still place the real unemployment figures for closer to 30%. Most of the unemployed have just given up looking. I gave up several years ago. Be glad you still have a job!
Bare
Bare, Your right on the money with that comment. Jobs are tough to come by today.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #100 on: June 30, 2014, 11:29:22 pm
Better luck next time, Scottie.
Sucks about the job situation over there. Our new government seems keen on emulating the US system: Get rid of publicly funded healthcare, lower minimum wage below survival level, create a class system of Rich, wealthy middle class and working poor. Plus selling our land and publicly owned businesses to overseas investors (ok, so that's been happening for a long time now). Third world living conditions, here we come. Probably be an Enfield factory here by 2020, exporting to idle rich Indians.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #101 on: July 02, 2014, 01:05:22 pm
Our government definitely has some F'ed up priorities.  NOT creating new jobs as promised while spending trillions of dollars fighting wars in other countries that are absolutely no concern of ours.  Team America, defenders of the world and spenders of money that doesn't exist.  Have our politicians forgotten that we have owed China over a billion dollars since the the 70's?  And somehow that figure just keeps getting higher and higher.....  Jack asses.

Anyways, here's a couple of pics of the paint job I did for a friend over the weekend.  Other than a couple pieces of cotton flying into the gas tank it came out really nice, and the cotton wet sanded right out.  As always my custom pearl coats will jump out and stab you in the eye when you look at it in direct sunlight.    8)

Another Happy Customer

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #102 on: July 02, 2014, 02:31:43 pm
Hey Scottie,
I want to work with you.
Let's come up with some Ace paint schemes for Enfield tins.
Then people can send their tins to you for the custom paint.
Many Ace customers are customizing their whole bikes, and need paint. We are already seeing people with new GT 535 bikes wanting to change the color.
We now have a featherbed frame maker, and we have engine work of all levels, and we need to have some custom body and paint.
Let's discuss! It's always best to fill the needs from within the community.

PS - I have some tanks and tins that I can donate for you to try out various ideas and looks. I can send them to you.

Maybe your new job can be to get your Bulldog Kustoms business jump-started with some cycle paint on Enfields.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:36:13 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #103 on: July 02, 2014, 03:38:57 pm
That is a fantastic idea Tom!  I love it!  I already have a few ideas in my head.  ;)  Yes, let's definitely discuss this over the phone and see if we can come up with a plan of attack.   :)

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #104 on: July 02, 2014, 03:43:56 pm
Win.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max