Author Topic: Scottie J's Thought Of The Day  (Read 43911 times)

SSdriver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #195 on: May 11, 2015, 03:07:51 pm
Why do I have to do anything for my wife on Mothers day?  Isn't that our kids job? She's not my Mother. (Please don't tell my wife what I just said!) ;)
...Jimmy
2014 CGT
Stage One Kit and a bunch of other stuff.
1994 Jag XJS V12 Convertible (and U think the RE has maintenance issues...Ha!)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #196 on: May 11, 2015, 03:37:58 pm
Why do I have to do anything for my wife on Mothers day?  Isn't that our kids job? She's not my Mother. (Please don't tell my wife what I just said!) ;)
...Jimmy

Yes!  That's what I was thinking all day!  And your secret is safe.    :-X
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Elliotthd

• Scooter
Reply #197 on: May 11, 2015, 04:05:41 pm
+1 Here here.

I've never asked for anything ever for Fathers day. It's very close to my birthday and to me, it's just another Sunday. This year though, I asked for a pneumatic tire changing stand with motorcycle rim adapter and my lady got one for me. In fact, I got it on Saturday, and spent my mother's day setting it up, and changing tires that didn't even need to be changed! By the way, best tool I ever bought. Ever.
2013 RE C5 Classic,
2005 Honda Shadow Aero 936,
1978 CB750 Hardtail JockeyBob,
1978 Yamaha XS750 Bobber (was a Cafe)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #198 on: June 07, 2015, 12:55:18 pm
I ended up changing positions at work.  I'll still be doing a little paint work here and there, but I am now a service tech and engine builder!  The last 3 weeks I've been doing more tech work than I have body and paint, and I've been doing pretty good at it kicking ass!  :D  Friday evening, I shadowed the supervisor assembling a short block, so Monday I should be putting my first short block together on my own.  I've built big block and small block Chevy motors in the past, but is is my first time building Subaru motors.  It's similar to an Enfield motor as the Subaru motors are a Boxer split case design.  I always thought that being a tech would be overwhelming for me, but I'm actually doing really good at it and catching fast.  :)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #199 on: June 07, 2015, 02:00:43 pm
I ended up changing positions at work.  I'll still be doing a little paint work here and there, but I am now a service tech and engine builder!  The last 3 weeks I've been doing more tech work than I have body and paint, and I've been doing pretty good at it kicking ass!  :D  Friday evening, I shadowed the supervisor assembling a short block, so Monday I should be putting my first short block together on my own.  I've built big block and small block Chevy motors in the past, but is is my first time building Subaru motors.  It's similar to an Enfield motor as the Subaru motors are a Boxer split case design.  I always thought that being a tech would be overwhelming for me, but I'm actually doing really good at it and catching fast.  :)
That will be excellent experience.

I remember back in the old days, every time I changed locations and got a new mechanic's position, they ALWAYS fed me a Jaguar engine overhaul as my first job, to see if I could handle it. I did a LOT of Jag engine overhauls, and they are big jobs. At first, they were all straight six DOHC, but then later they had the V12.  Did a lot of both.

You will be well served by getting this experience on the Subie engines.
Enjoy!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #200 on: June 07, 2015, 02:56:57 pm
Pretty close to working on a Rotax or a Continental, too!  :P
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #201 on: June 07, 2015, 04:59:14 pm
Sounds good, Scottie!  But... I didn't realize you needed more experience taking an engine apart...  ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #202 on: June 07, 2015, 11:39:39 pm
I didn't so much need more experience as I just needed to the sequences and torque specs.  :)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #203 on: June 11, 2015, 02:03:33 am
Haven't done any engine building yet, but I have been busting some serious ass at work.  Lots of 30K and 60K services, brakes, tires, axle boots, and odd and end jobs like window motors and such.

Monday I watched a DOJ axle boot get done.  Yesterday I did 3 boots on 2 axles in the morning.  DOJ boots book out at 1.6 hours each, and I got them done in about 3 hours.  Supervisor tells me good job, now just get faster at it.  That afternoon I had a car with 2 more DOJ to do and knocked it out in 1.3 hours!  :D

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #204 on: June 11, 2015, 03:05:42 am
Sounds to me you have found your calling. Mechanics can be very rewarding as can P&B. I think P&B is more an art form as mechanics is a practiced trade form. The more you do it the faster you get and after a while you can do it blindfolded. Like to see you shoot some paint blindfolded! Good for you Scottie, can tell you are diggin what you're doing. That's what life's all about!
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #205 on: June 11, 2015, 03:17:52 am
I've actually been turning wrenches much longer than I have been doing paint and body work.  Technically I've been wrenching since about 7 or 8 when I started fixing my own bicycle, as dad wasn't around much to do it for me.  Then wrenching on my dirt bike at 13 and cars when I was 17.  I got tired of busting my knuckles up and stopped doing it so much when I started B&P.  A lot of stuff now I have learned just from being at the shop for almost 2 years.  I already have 31 hours in this week, so I should have a nice fat check for next week.  ;)

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #206 on: June 12, 2015, 01:19:54 am
Good feeling isnt it Scottie?
Im halfway through my apprenticeship and Ive found 75% of my jobs (Oil+filter all the way to half a car in bits) give a good pleasure in fixing. The other quart is lots of yelling  ::)
Morr joy if you find the problem when others cant.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #207 on: June 12, 2015, 12:58:55 pm
I do enjoy painting cars, but I'm so bored with it, especially the body work part.  I'd rather keep to painting bikes and other toys of sorts.  I can restore and build a bike in a couple of months.  It always takes a couple of years or more to restore a car.  Sometimes spending several weeks on a single body panel trying to get it right.  Plus it is frustrating when you finish a car and the customer just complains and nitpicks every little thing.  Including blaming you for scratches and flaws in the finish on parts of the car you didn't even touch, let alone work on.    >:(

Plus, doing mechanical my days go by faster.  I enjoy the hard work, the boss notices my hard work, plus I get to work more hours.  For instance, I already had 39.6 hours when I left yesterday.  That means I'm basically on OT all day today, which means I just might be able to finish my drift trike over this next week.  :)