Author Topic: is it possible to make a better deal if paid all in cash?  (Read 1718 times)

alladinko

• Bulleteer
hey guys... finally saved for my enfield to join the group! buuut - first i have to buy it and i have a question about that - is it possible to negotiate with the dealer by offering him cash? (6k+ is lot of money)(to me). did anybody do this? is it possible to shave off couple/few hundred bucks? or is it easier to move mount rushmore than to move the dealers from their profit. please advice me (crossing all my fingers to hear the respond i'd love to hear) :D
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2014 Royal Enfield Classic Military
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 03:48:49 am
Instead of price dropping, I'd try to get some extras thrown in, easier on a dealer.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 04:00:58 am
Only one way to find out.  Go make an offer !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 05:11:17 am
If we are talking about cash vs a credit card, the cash will increase the dealers profit but not by enough to make much difference.
The fee the dealer pays varies but even if it were 2 percent which is probably higher than the actual amount, that would only be $120 on a $6000 purchase.

If it is cash vs a check deal, there isn't enough difference in profit to talk about.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 05:31:01 am
Well it wouldnt hurt, plus it would offer a little leverage in that if you walk in with cash a) they know you are serious, and b) they will do what they can to keep you from walking out without a bike.
Remember,  if you are going to the only Enfield dealer around and trying to buy his only GT, he probably won't move on price....but if its a bike he's had for a while or he has multiple bikes of the same model, then he should be more willing to negotiate. Above all, be confident and don't be afraid to ASK for a discount on the total out-the-door price
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 04:56:01 pm
thank you for the responds guys! i guess this 'battle' me w cash vs dealer will happen this or latest next week. cannot wait to be officially part of this
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2014 Royal Enfield Classic Military
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 05:11:52 pm
I payed for my new B5 with both a credit card and a cashiers check. I had called the dealer and gotten the OTD price, and a price on having it delivered to me 120 miles away. I found it very reasonable, they didn't add on a bunch of fees, and I doubt they made much if anything on the delivery. So I gave them a $500 deposit on a credit card, and went in the next day with a cashiers check for the rest of it.

I have never been one to go for dealer scams, and most dealers will try to pile on a bunch of bogus fees. But this one didn't. I had no problem paying full MSRP, which was recently lowered by $1000. I doubt dealers make much on these bikes at that price. And remember they are in business to make money. Just watch out for the phony fees.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson